5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Slight vibration

Jasonml24

Reaction score
I've had Bridgestone Duelers on my past Chevy Tahoes and an Equinox. They were all LOUD on concrete, did not perform well on snow, and changing them out made a huge difference in drivability and comfort. This is what led me to wanting to change the tires on the new truck right away. Where the rubber meets the road has a lot to do with how much I enjoy a vehicle.
Tires can definitely make all the difference between a good ride and a bad one. I’m leaning more and more towards maybe the tires they are putting on from the factory could be causing these vibration issues some are experiencing.

Smoot178

Reaction score
After my 5th visit, the following has resolved my vibration at all speeds:

4 x Michelin Defender LTX M/S tires
1 x Wheel replacement

Hallelujah.

Jasonml24

Reaction score

1 x Wheel replacement

Hallelujah.
Great news! Were you able to get your dealer to give you a deal on the tires?

Smoot178

Reaction score
Great news! Were you able to get your dealer to give you a deal on the tires?

After my 4th visit I sent a certified letter with lemon law intentions.

After that, it was easy to get things moving. I didn't pay for the tires.

Of course I think I went through alot of trouble to finally get resolution. I also tried to be patient and understanding with the writers and technicians.

Gman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just another quick comment on the Michelin Defenders: the winter capabilities of this tire are amazing. We had a blizzard warning this morning and the truck drove like nothing unusual was going on. Handling was great and stopping performance was the best I've ever experienced in an all season tire. The best Michelin LTX M/S yet.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Bam2880

Reaction score
I’m actually getting a whole new floorboard vibration now. I don’t really feel the original vibration it is all in the floorboard now near my left foot. It is not speed sensitive and has recently started from the very cold weather. I’m thinking it has somthing to do with the active tuned mass modules.

Jasonml24

Reaction score
I’ve definitely come to the conclusion that some of these vibration issues are definitely tire related and I definitely think the tires, no matter the size or brand,are developing flat spots after sitting for hours or overnight. My truck has been basically vibration free for over a month. I do feel it a bit in the morning till the tires warm up, but after that there is nothing. I was talking to a good friend of mine over the weekend that is a tire buyer for a major tire distributor, and he says FCA is the worst on what tires they choose to put on their vehicles. His opinion is they use P rated tires on their trucks to save money and that the trucks are actually too heavy for the tires. Funny thing is, his first suggestion was to switch to Michelin Defenders.

Jasonml24

Reaction score

1 x Wheel replacement

Hallelujah.
Any update on how your truck is doing now?

Jasonml24

Reaction score
Well my luck has run out. The weather warmed up here in Ohio, and my vibration is back just like before. I don’t understand why it was smooth while it was below freezing and now that it’s above freezing it’s back. I almost wanna just go and have new Michelin’s put on, but I’m afraid if it’s still there I’m gonna regret it.

Gman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I don't think I've ever regretted getting new Michelin LTX tires on my trucks. At the very least, you could rule out tires in the equation.

Longhorn5G

Reaction score
I don't think I've ever regretted getting new Michelin LTX tires on my trucks. At the very least, you could rule out tires in the equation.
And have the best tires available, that will last.

Just keep the original oem rubber, and put those back on when michelins run out. Face it, you were gonna get tires at SOME point.

Like gman says, you also rule out tires if problem still there...OR, you fix the problem.

Jasonml24

Reaction score
And have the best tires available, that will last.

Just keep the original oem rubber, and put those back on when michelins run out. Face it, you were gonna get tires at SOME point.

Like gman says, you also rule out tires if problem still there...OR, you fix the problem.
Well it goes back to the dealer on Monday. Stopped in and the tech rode with me and definitely felt it. Said he’s gonna take the tires off the wheels and do a run out test on both. Hopefully that’ll either show they’re the problem or have them start looking for something else.

isclloyd

Reaction score
Vehicle: 2019 Ram 1500 Limited
Tires: Bridgestone Duelers 275/55R20

I bought my truck with 10 miles on it in July 2018 and brought it back 3 days later for the vibration. My vibration happens around 75mph and is constant. It feels like it is coming from the back of the truck. You can feel it in the seat but the steering wheel does not shake. However, if you have a water bottle in the cup holder, you can clearly see the vibration. I am in south Florida so the issue is unrelated to cold weather.
Since I purchased the truck, I've had it back to the dealer 3 times:
1st dealer visit: SA says they drove it at speed limit and "could not duplicate" issue. Total BS.
2nd dealer visit: They said the tires needed to be balanced and performed RFB on all tires. Also, adjusted the camber, caster, sterring and toe. Still have the issue.
3rd (independent tire shop) visit: The shop called me after an hour and said they feel the vibration but the balance and alignment is "perfect". Suggested it could be suspension or drive shaft and I should contact dealer. Come pick up vehicle, no charge.
4th dealer visit: Said two tires needed balancing. Took all weights off and re-balanced. The issue still remains but happens closer to 80mph now. SA not willing to go over 70mph on test drive.
At this point I'm mad. I'm going to replace the tires to see if that fixes the issue, but after that I'm escalating through Dodge until I get it fixed. I used to love this truck but now I'm warning my friends to stay away.
Please post if you come up with a solution.

Jasonml24

Reaction score
Vehicle: 2019 Ram 1500 Limited
Tires: Bridgestone Duelers 275/55R20

I bought my truck with 10 miles on it in July 2018 and brought it back 3 days later for the vibration. My vibration happens around 75mph and is constant. It feels like it is coming from the back of the truck. You can feel it in the seat but the steering wheel does not shake. However, if you have a water bottle in the cup holder, you can clearly see the vibration. I am in south Florida so the issue is unrelated to cold weather.
Since I purchased the truck, I've had it back to the dealer 3 times:
1st dealer visit: SA says they drove it at speed limit and "could not duplicate" issue. Total BS.
2nd dealer visit: They said the tires needed to be balanced and performed RFB on all tires. Also, adjusted the camber, caster, sterring and toe. Still have the issue.
3rd (independent tire shop) visit: The shop called me after an hour and said they feel the vibration but the balance and alignment is "perfect". Suggested it could be suspension or drive shaft and I should contact dealer. Come pick up vehicle, no charge.
4th dealer visit: Said two tires needed balancing. Took all weights off and re-balanced. The issue still remains but happens closer to 80mph now. SA not willing to go over 70mph on test drive.
At this point I'm mad. I'm going to replace the tires to see if that fixes the issue, but after that I'm escalating through Dodge until I get it fixed. I used to love this truck but now I'm warning my friends to stay away.
Please post if you come up with a solution.
See mine feels like it’s in the front which kinda supports my theory on the tires. I guess we will see what my service department finds. I talked to a good friend of mine today that’s a mechanic and he agreed that even though they can balance a tire and call it good that doesn’t mean it is. My first time in they said 2 were out of balance, so they road force balanced all 4, but didn’t say what threshold that was at. Obviously It didn’t fix it because I felt it a mile down the road after picking it up. I guess the good thing about them dismounting the tires from the wheels this time to perform a run out test is it should help to narrow it down. My friend says he’s found plenty of bad tires and wheels that way on brand new and used vehicles. He says it’s the only way to properly diagnose the issue but he did say it’s a pain to do. Hopefully I’ll have some positive results next week.

jniemuth

Reaction score
I have the same vibration at low rpm's. I had my local service manager ride with me and he felt it also. He says it is the MDS and it is normal. Too bad a $60,000 has a vibration that is normal.

Gman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If it's MDS, then something is wrong with the ATMMs. They're supposed to cancel the vibration from the engine when it's in MDS mode.

Smoot178

Reaction score
Any update on how your truck is doing now?
I get some vibration on really.cold.mornjngs but it seems to go away once warmed up.

Slight vibration at 80+ but not as bad as it was.

It's adequate for me now. Not interested in spending more time to make it 1000% smooth.

Jasonml24

Reaction score
I get some vibration on really.cold.mornjngs but it seems to go away once warmed up.

Slight vibration at 80+ but not as bad as it was.

It's adequate for me now. Not interested in spending more time to make it 1000% smooth.
Ok thanks for the update. Mine is going in Monday and they are gonna do a runout on both the tires and wheels and see if the issue is there.

Users who are viewing this thread