5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

side mirror removal to replace mirror cap

392DCGC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I took the plunge and thought i would give this a try...... I got the mirror off without breaking up but somehow I think I didn’t do it right.
I just did this same thing... how did you get it back together? Everything looks lined up and it came apart same as your pic, but I'm pushing pretty hard and it won't snap back together.

34952 34953

Last edited:

aametzger

Reaction score
I just did this same thing... how did you get it back together? Everything looks lined up and it came apart same as your pic, but I'm pushing pretty hard and it won't snap back together.

View attachment 34952 View attachment 34953
I haven't tried this yet, I have ordered a set of covers from the dealer and plan to get the suction tool and try it myself next week, but I would think based on everything I have read so far that your best option might be to try to get the 2nd half of the motor assembly apart for the mirror side and try to snap that smaller part back together on the main mirror housing before trying to snap the actual mirror back on. That's what I would be trying anyway. With the actual mirror separated I would think it would be easier to pry the 2nd part of the motor housing from the mirror. Once you get the motor assembly back together, I would think that reattaching the mirror part would just snap on like a regular reinstall. Again, I have not done this, just offering my thoughts based on what I have read so far on this

392DCGC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I haven't tried this yet, I have ordered a set of covers from the dealer and plan to get the suction tool and try it myself next week, but I would think based on everything I have read so far that your best option might be to try to get the 2nd half of the motor assembly apart for the mirror side and try to snap that smaller part back together on the main mirror housing before trying to snap the actual mirror back on. That's what I would be trying anyway. With the actual mirror separated I would think it would be easier to pry the 2nd part of the motor housing from the mirror. Once you get the motor assembly back together, I would think that reattaching the mirror part would just snap on like a regular reinstall. Again, I have not done this, just offering my thoughts based on what I have read so far on this
I miraculously got it back together, not without breaking half the tabs and what not. Took me 2 hours to figure the damn thing out... the motor housing easily snaps out of the mirror housing. There's a T10 Torx screw in the middle that also holds the motor housing to the mirror housing, and also acts in part to hold the halves of the motor together. After removing the motor entirely, I stared at it for awhile trying to see why it wouldn't go together... it's hard to explain. Basically the half with the actual motors has a notched ring all the way around, and this ring snaps inside of the other half. Not without a ton of prying and pressing force though. I can't believe it came apart, and I REALLY can't believe I got it back together. Was about to throw it across the driveway and go to the dealer this week to hopefully get a new one, but I couldn't find the part online and the numbers on the motor housing didn't lead to anything, so I figured I needed to fix it myself.

This was the 4th mirror I did. The first 3 went smooth as butter. I should have known something was up when this mirror didn't come apart as easily/quickly, yet I kept pulling... probably needed to use more heat, but maybe it was unavoidable. I have used the suction cup tool... wouldn't try it with anything else.

Rowing88

Reaction score
I removed my chrome piece and replaced it with the black piece on my truck exterior mirrors. Thanks for posting the directions. I did end up shattering my passenger mirror glass trying to remove it. I mistakenly pulled from the outside of the mirror and not from the inside as was in the instructions, so be careful when pulling out the mirror part. That's a $180 mistake. I do prefer the all black exterior mirrors.

black looks so much better. how do i find the part number for the black ones. have the chrome on my 2019 limited thx

aametzger

Reaction score
I miraculously got it back together, not without breaking half the tabs and what not. Took me 2 hours to figure the damn thing out... the motor housing easily snaps out of the mirror housing. There's a T10 Torx screw in the middle that also holds the motor housing to the mirror housing, and also acts in part to hold the halves of the motor together. After removing the motor entirely, I stared at it for awhile trying to see why it wouldn't go together... it's hard to explain. Basically the half with the actual motors has a notched ring all the way around, and this ring snaps inside of the other half. Not without a ton of prying and pressing force though. I can't believe it came apart, and I REALLY can't believe I got it back together. Was about to throw it across the driveway and go to the dealer this week to hopefully get a new one, but I couldn't find the part online and the numbers on the motor housing didn't lead to anything, so I figured I needed to fix it myself.

This was the 4th mirror I did. The first 3 went smooth as butter. I should have known something was up when this mirror didn't come apart as easily/quickly, yet I kept pulling... probably needed to use more heat, but maybe it was unavoidable. I have used the suction cup tool... wouldn't try it with anything else.

Glad you got it back together! My suction tool and heat gun should be here today from Amazon, and the covers should arrive at the dealer towards the end of the week. I will share my results. I hope mine goes smoothly :)

aametzger

Reaction score
I successfully swapped my chrome with Granite today using the suction cup method. No broken mirrors! thanks to everyone here that added info that made this possible for me to do myself. thanks!!!

PrISM

Reaction score
Well I decided to have the dealer do my swap because knowing my luck I would've broken something even with the suction cup method. Turns out they broke my passenger side mirror regardless, but replaced it for free. Cost me $60 for the mirror covers and $60 for the labor. I'm satisfied!

IMG_20190914_182548.jpg IMG_20190914_184851.jpg

PorBoy

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Yes replacing those caps are stressful but can readily be done. I just didn’t want my chrome caps so I swapped them to Billet silver.

JMartin

Reaction score
Suction cup worked for me. Heated mirror glass and plastic cover for a few mins. Takes an uncomfortable amount of pulling (in terms of yanking on glass) to get the mirror to pop out. Did both without breaking. Thanks all.

jb772

Reaction score
So I purchased the painted mirror caps on eBay which was a breeze, but after reading all the horror stories of the glass breaking, I decided to have a local custom auto shop install them for me. The shop ended up breaking the passenger side glass on a Friday but had the new OEM glass installed on Monday. They only charged me $40 for the install which I was more than happy with because I knew if I tried it myself I’d either break both pieces of glass or probably the entire mirror itself knowing my luck. Love the look of it, next is painted bumpers!

Attachments

• 897A4BDE-C832-4283-99DF-02C11487C1FC.jpeg
    897A4BDE-C832-4283-99DF-02C11487C1FC.jpeg
    214.6 KB · Views: 98

cnyram

Reaction score
I bought the tool and decided against doing it myself since I'm the poster boy for Murphy's law. After rereading this thread, I'm going to try it tomorrow since it looks like a 100% success rate with the suction cup after heating the mirror glass. When pulling the suction cup, it's straight away from the mirror glass, correct? Not some rock it back and forth while pulling, secret handshake kind of thing?

jorgegg

Reaction score
I don't believe there is a secret to pulling, other than straight. For me, that's how it worked after heating it. I did have one half of the motor housing come off on one side. I followed the recommendations of removing the other half, putting it together and then re installing . No broken glass and it took about 45 minutes to do both sides.

cnyram

Reaction score
I don't believe there is a secret to pulling, other than straight. For me, that's how it worked after heating it. I did have one half of the motor housing come off on one side. I followed the recommendations of removing the other half, putting it together and then re installing . No broken glass and it took about 45 minutes to do both sides.

Gotcha, thanks!

pitboss000

Reaction score
I let my dealer do it while it was in for a rambox door replacement. Sure enough they broke the passenger side mirror. Resulted in no charge for the job.

cnyram

Reaction score
Gotcha, thanks!

Add me to the list of successful mirror cap operations. Heated the mirrors for about 5 minutes, were pretty hot to the touch, left one popped off without effort, right one took more effort but eventually came off. Probably 15 minutes for the left side, little longer for the right. For the earlier posters about the wires, my drivers side had the blue/black wire on the truck side, the passenger side had the black wire closest to the truck.

Don't remember seeing it mentioned before, but wasn't sure if it mattered what position the mirrors were in to do this. My left one was in it's normal position, the right one I did pushed back flat against the truck. Works either way.

Scott_65

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I got the tool but haven’t bought the Black diamond cap yet. I thought it was strange when looking at the cap that the body color ones are like $65 and the chrome are like $165, seems strange there’s that much of a price difference especially since most seem to dump the chrome for the colored.

JF19Longhorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Add me to the list of broken mirrors.

Drivers side was cake.. passengers side not so much.

Wonder how much this is gonna cost me?

Attachments

• 20200122_162819.jpg
    20200122_162819.jpg
    147.9 KB · Views: 94

Users who are viewing this thread