5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Shifter knob issues, 2019 RAM 1500, help- BRAND NEW

greatone99

Reaction score
update on mine ,did it 2 times first 450 miles ,has not since ,1700 miles now.

BigHorn-SV

Reaction score
Mine did it again today. Was not as abrupt as previously, but maybe I'm getting used to it. That's four (4) times now in about 750 miles - twice going from P into D and twice P into R. Have service appointment in 4 days to get it checked at Dealer.

VinnyRam

Reaction score
Mine did it again today. Was not as abrupt as previously, but maybe I'm getting used to it. That's four (4) times now in about 750 miles - twice going from P into D and twice P into R. Have service appointment in 4 days to get it checked at Dealer.
Do they sound like they're aware of the problem or know how to fix it when you scheduled the appointment?

whetrick1

Reaction score
Sounds like a software glitch. I've got 6000 on mine and haven't had that problem as of yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ALBOY29

Reaction score
So Just read all 18 Pages of this thread.... Curious to any updates. I have had my truck for LESS than 1 week, and it has done this to me 4 Times so far.
Just daily driving to work, and back etc.
I have had SUCCESS with the Reverse then to drive method, but my truck has only 65 miles on it and would rather address the problem right out of the gate.

ANY UPDATES to those who have gotten the TSB for the transmission control module?/Valve body replacement
I have a 2019 Ram Big Horn 1500, Build 2/18

Truckin

Reaction score
This may not help all but I am sure will help some...I have had this happen on my 16' Ram a few times-however I discovered it was MY fault each time-sometimes I have been in such a hurry that I rotated the shift knob BEFORE the drivers door was fully shut...Sure enough, if I try to shift to drive (or reverse) before I shut the door, happens every time.... Hope this is of value to someone!

BigHorn-SV

Reaction score
Do they sound like they're aware of the problem or know how to fix it when you scheduled the appointment?
Nope. Will know more after my appointment to have it looked at by the Dealer tomorrow.

Trfnj74

Reaction score
Well add me to the list as well, 4 days old and less than 200 miles. It happened on level ground going from R to D. I have an appointment tomorrow for them put my new tires on, I will let the service manager know... 2/12 Build Date

Gtbrown

Reaction score
Well add me to the list as well, 4 days old and less than 200 miles. It happened on level ground going from R to D. I have an appointment tomorrow for them put my new tires on, I will let the service manager know... 2/12 Build Date

Yikes! Same build date as my Limited with eTorque. Our trucks are very similar, I have the 3.21 gears and Lomax Hard Cover. I have 183 miles on mine......

trixdesigns

Reaction score
Glad to see I'm not the only one this happened to.. though mine was ~ 28 miles on it; had it happen twice in a row. Haven't had it since and hoping it went away. '19 Limited built in Oct 2018 but just picked it up off a local dealer's lot.

RC19

Reaction score
@ALBOY29 I got the TCM update about a month ago. Haven't had an issue since update . No valve body replacement needed. Still original VB. The P to D issue happed quite often when I first got the truck, got update around 1500 miles, now have over 3000. Coincidence maybe... or the issue truly got fixed with the update.

ALBOY29

Reaction score
@ALBOY29 I got the TCM update about a month ago. Haven't had an issue since update . No valve body replacement needed. Still original VB. The P to D issue happed quite often when I first got the truck, got update around 1500 miles, now have over 3000. Coincidence maybe... or the issue truly got fixed with the update.
Thanks my appointment is next Tuesday... however when i called and mentioned the TSB they didnt know what i was talking about :/
Mine has happened only once since last Sunday.. but none the less im still only at 140 miles. Problem started at 30 (got the truck delivered at 28 lol)

trixdesigns

Reaction score
Apparently I spoke too soon, happened 4 more times over the past 2 days. Anyone have that TSB # available?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jskidoo

Reaction score
Thank God I didn’t buy this truck. My new Ram limited came in last Thursday. Walking up to the vehicle I imediately noticed the ram box alignment was catty Wompus. (Not to mention they hadn’t detailed it and it looked like crap.) I could deal with that, the thing was so damn gorgeous but after reading some of the horror stories about the mechanical issues some people were experiencing I expressed my doubts to the dealer on Saturday. Loving the look of the truck I told them it would have to sell itself and asked if I could take it over the weekend. They agreed. What an awesome driving truck. I spent hours detailing it and getting to know it on a personal level. It was mine. Here it is Sunday morning...last night I experience this stuck in park lurchIng into drive situation. After reading all 18 pages of this thread I am disgusted by the fact that dealers are ignorant to what’s happening and have yet to fix it. I put almost 200 miles on the truck. They’re going to be pissed and I don’t give a S%#*!

BigHorn-SV

Reaction score
No joy from my visit to the dealership. They added 3/4 quart of fluid and checked for TSB's, but "couldn't replicate the problem". Got my truck back yesterday after a week in the shop for the subject problem, the brake pedal V07 recall, a get-ready issue, and a couple of suspension-related problems. Today my truck slammed from P into D again after I backed into a spot. Doesn't matter whether I Reverse into a spot or Drive into a spot, nor does it matter whether the truck is hot or cold. I will open another case with FCA if/when it happens again and make another appointment with the dealership.

VinnyRam

Reaction score
***UPDATE ****

Been driving my truck most of the day, many stops, turn off/turn on, P to D scenarios, smooth as butter. I was having an instance almost every day. I know its first day, but so far it all feels the way it should.

Here is what they did according to service record:

TSB 21-002-19, Flash TCM from 68360086AK to AL from 1/9/19 TSB. Topped off trans fluid (found to be 3/4 quart low from factory).

If you haven't already, get the software update and have the tech check the trans fluid properly. I'll continue to report back as I drive it more. Probably going to roll 1,000 miles tonight on the way home.
I'm planning to show my dealer the info. highlighted in this post from @Ghinesley . However, I could not find that TSB anywhere online.

Jtbarrett88

Reaction score
GUYS THE FIX FOR THIS IS A NEW VALVE BODY OR A NEW TRANSMISSION!!! I had a new transmission put in at 200 miles and now it has not done it once since putting in... ANOTHER GUY HAD A VALVE BODY PUT IN AND IT FIXED IT... so either or seem like a fix to me! pleaaaaaaaaaaseeee take videos and THIS THREAD to your dealers... open a case with FCA.... they have been a big help with getting my issue resolved!!!!

dutchman187

Ram Guru
Reaction score
GUYS THE FIX FOR THIS IS A NEW VALVE BODY OR A NEW TRANSMISSION!!! I had a new transmission put in at 200 miles and now it has not done it once since putting in... ANOTHER GUY HAD A VALVE BODY PUT IN AND IT FIXED IT... so either or seem like a fix to me! pleaaaaaaaaaaseeee take videos and THIS THREAD to your dealers... open a case with FCA.... they have been a big help with getting my issue resolved!!!!

The fix MIGHT necessitate those things. For some of us, it did not. I had it 3 times in the first 500 miles. A PCM/TCM update was applied by dealer and I have not had it again and I'm over 3,000 miles now. Definitely take videos to show your dealer so you don't get the "can't replicate" BS and loop in @RamCares so they can work with your dealer and FCA to get it resolved. At some point I have to think FCA will pinpoint this issue. For now, I'm just happy the PCM/TCM appeared to help my particular situation.

Jtbarrett88

Reaction score
The fix MIGHT necessitate those things. For some of us, it did not. I had it 3 times in the first 500 miles. A PCM/TCM update was applied by dealer and I have not had it again and I'm over 3,000 miles now. Definitely take videos to show your dealer so you don't get the "can't replicate" BS and loop in @RamCares so they can work with your dealer and FCA to get it resolved. At some point I have to think FCA will pinpoint this issue. For now, I'm just happy the PCM/TCM appeared to help my particular situation.
agreed!!!

Users who are viewing this thread