5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Shifter knob issues, 2019 RAM 1500, help- BRAND NEW

Nickjansen

Reaction score
Just to add to the list. I have 1800km on my limited and i only had this happen once where i went into P and going back to drive didnt engage until it randomly slammed into gear and sent the truck forward about 2 yards very fast. Sure it has only happened once and been flawless otherwise, but seeing the issue with others makes me keep an eye out in case it happens again. I dont know if i should go to the dealer even though it happened at about 300km on odo and been fine since. But I am very pleased with the truck otherwise! A recall would be nice so that the dealerships would be aware of the problem and could have a one and done visit instead of hoping they will know what we are talking about

Ghinesley

Reaction score
Just to add to the list. I have 1800km on my limited and i only had this happen once where i went into P and going back to drive didnt engage until it randomly slammed into gear and sent the truck forward about 2 yards very fast. Sure it has only happened once and been flawless otherwise, but seeing the issue with others makes me keep an eye out in case it happens again. I dont know if i should go to the dealer even though it happened at about 300km on odo and been fine since. But I am very pleased with the truck otherwise! A recall would be nice so that the dealerships would be aware of the problem and could have a one and done visit instead of hoping they will know what we are talking about

If I were you, I would schedule it of the latest software update under the TSB. Just my two cents.

greatone99

Reaction score
so mine did it at 150 miles and once at 450 miles ,2 times total ,now at 1700 miles and has yet to do it again. 2019 rebel - 11/28/19 build

Scrub175

Reaction score
New to forum and first time Ram Truck owner. Add two more to the list, both purchased within the last two weeks. Thank you for the insight, we will be checking with the dealer regarding the potential fixes tomorrow

2019 Limited and 2019 Laramie.

Nick919

Reaction score
Update - As I posted on Saturday 1/26 that a new TSB was released for the TCM. I've had the truck back a few days now after receiving the update with no issues from P to D . I will continue to provide updates as I can. Fingers crossed the issue is fixed.
@Nick919 your paperwork should indicate if they performed this new update. This would be helpful to know. They may have pushed the old TSB 21-021-18 Rev B. From oct 23. TSB 21-002-19 supersedes it.

@Paulny The knowledge I have on the TSB is not posted online . No link available.
Some enhancements are: "bump" improvements , "gear hunting " improvements , downshift & upshift improvements, "garage shift" improvements. Hope this helps. Sorry those are vague but that's what I know.
Thanks, RC. They didn't write the TSB # down on my paperwork. I'll confirm when I take in for first service appointment.

DSPS

Reaction score
I started another thread for this issue and was pointed to this thread. I've cut and paste my message below. Add me to the list of those affected.

I’ve had this occur at least 3-4 times. After backing into a parking spot on 4wd Auto, when I get back into the vehicle and put it in Drive, nothing happens. It seems that it’s not in gear. I have to rev the engine pretty high at which point it will slam into gear and aggressively lurch forward. I tried cycling into 2wd and back and forth to park. I tried waiting a bit while idling. The only way to get moving is to hold the brake and gradually apply gas until it eventually kicks in, and when I say kicks in, it really kicks in violently. That’s why my foot is on the brake
record incidents, post cell phone clips on twitter #RAM

RamZNY

Reaction score
I am new to owning a Ram truck, I did a lot of research and came to the conclusion that I wanted this particular truck and configuration. I am now 4 days into having it, less than 500 miles on it. I experienced the nothing happens from P to D issue with the shift knob. I auto started the car, warmed it up, got in, turned off the brake, shifted from P to D, hit the gas, Nothing happened. I thought I might have either placed it in N or maybe the brake was still on. Brake was off ( light was off in the dash ). I went back to P, then back to D. Nothing. The 4th time I shifted from P to D, gave it a little gas and BOOM out of nowhere it slammed into gear and jumped forward. Luckily nothing was in front of me. It did not sound or feel good. I chalked it up to something that I may have done settings wise until reading this forum.

I will bring it to the dealer tomorrow and show them this thread hoping it can direct them towards how to resolve it.
I am very disappointed that a 58k vehicle can do this being so new. Hopefully they can fix it. I will post updates as they happen.

fat trout

Reaction score
I am new to owning a Ram truck, I did a lot of research and came to the conclusion that I wanted this particular truck and configuration. I am now 4 days into having it, less than 500 miles on it. I experienced the nothing happens from P to D issue with the shift knob. I auto started the car, warmed it up, got in, turned off the brake, shifted from P to D, hit the gas, Nothing happened. I thought I might have either placed it in N or maybe the brake was still on. Brake was off ( light was off in the dash ). I went back to P, then back to D. Nothing. The 4th time I shifted from P to D, gave it a little gas and BOOM out of nowhere it slammed into gear and jumped forward. Luckily nothing was in front of me. It did not sound or feel good. I chalked it up to something that I may have done settings wise until reading this forum.

I will bring it to the dealer tomorrow and show them this thread hoping it can direct them towards how to resolve it.
I am very disappointed that a 58k vehicle can do this being so new. Hopefully they can fix it. I will post updates as they happen.
If it makes you feel any better, I had it happen once when I had 55 miles on the truck. That was the only time. I have 4K on it now. Why did it happen, who knows, perhaps a little bit of break in and somewhat related to the issue itself (when worse). When I bring it in for the recall I'm going to have them run the TSB for the transmission software.

RamZNY

Reaction score
If it makes you feel any better, I had it happen once when I had 55 miles on the truck. That was the only time. I have 4K on it now. Why did it happen, who knows, perhaps a little bit of break in and somewhat related to the issue itself (when worse). When I bring it in for the recall I'm going to have them run the TSB for the transmission software.
I dropped it off at the dealer service center and explained what I experienced with the typical look of disbelief from the service adviser. I showed him a printout of this thread and he told me a google search is not a diagnosis, (true), but very dismissive. Anyway, the are going to try and duplicate it, if not they probably wont check anything else. He showed me a computer screen layout of all my control modules showing blue meaning they are ok, and no TSB's pending for my particular vin #. The will however do the safety recall on the brake pedals. Hopefully the actual mechanics are better than the service adviser and they can figure it out, otherwise I foresee my future of dealer service center hopping until someone does it. Updates to come.

Jtbarrett88

Reaction score
Believe me guys I feel your pain. After almost 4 weeks of being without my truck they changed the transmission. I am happy to report that nearly 2 weeks after replacing the transmission, I have not had one hiccup of this happening. I had it happen to me numerous times before at only 100 miles on the truck. So fingers crossed it doesn’t come back after new trans

BigHorn-SV

Reaction score
Owned my RAM less than two weeks and less than 200 miles and my truck did this to me twice on Feb 18th. Once in Drive and once in Reverse. When I shifted into D, I blipped throttle and nothing, blipped it again then loud clunk into Drive and lurch. Second time when it would not move after selecting R, I put into P, cycled e-brake, dropped it into R and it went into Reverse like nothing had just happened. I am sickened by this issue, now the second problem with my new truck.

Last edited:

VinnyRam

Reaction score
Anyone has a print out of the TSB that I can take to the dealer ? Also, why is this not a safety recall ?

1guyandtools

Reaction score
I need a little input on whether or not there is a real repair for this problem... About 5 out of 10 times i put this truck in Drive, it does NOTHING. Nothing clicks and it acts as if its still in Park. Only when i slowly depress the pedal does it pop into gear and lunge forward. This is not good nor safe. Ive 500 miles on the truck already and am about ready to return it if there is no real fix for this issue. Open to opinions and input! Thanks, Doug
Brake light switch adjustment or replacement, just a thought

RamZNY

Reaction score
Update: The dealer has not been able to duplicate the issue ( no surprise there ). They did however do the safety recall on the adjustable brake pedal. They told me there are no outstanding TSB's for my vin and that all my control modules are working as they should. They told me if it happens again to make a video of it and submit it as proof. Im very unhappy with the whole situation right now. If anyone has proof of the TSB for this please post it.

BigHorn-SV

Reaction score
Mine did it again today. Move the selector to R and no reverse. Back into P, cycle the e-brake on/off, then into R and it found reverse. Truck had been driven solid for 150 miles and about 2.5 hours, then parked for 15 minutes when it happened this time. First two times it was barely warmed up on two short trips around town.

VinnyRam

Reaction score
This happened to me twice now. Both times, it happened when I attempted to back into a parking spot. It doesn't do it if I backed the truck in on the first try. It appears that it only does it if I have to go back and and forth ( like a 3 point turn) a couple of times and turn off the engine right after. Then it won't move when I turn it back on and put in D. Anyone seeing this pattern?

RamZNY

Reaction score
Mine did it again today. Move the selector to R and no reverse. Back into P, cycle the e-brake on/off, then into R and it found reverse. Truck had been driven solid for 150 miles and about 2.5 hours, then parked for 15 minutes when it happened this time. First two times it was barely warmed up on two short trips around town.
How long before this becomes a recall?? Its amazing that there is no official fix for this right now.

SynAckuL

Reaction score
Had my valve body replaced yesterday. I was hoping it may also fix the rough shifting at lower gears, but that problem remains. It's just a wait and see on the P-D issue.

I think something that helped me out when working with the dealer was taking videos when it happened. Since it is a reproducible issue while it's occurring, I was able to take a video showing everything as it occurred (foot off brake, no e-brake, etc). I also think my dealer has been more than receptive with my issues, and has been very helpful in getting things resolved.

EDIT: This did NOT fix the issue.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread