5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ROUGH starts on cold starts?

Smoot178

Reaction score
I would echo the fact that he says the tach is all over the place, which is not normal.

Not even for an older car.

I could see higher than normal, but consistent RPM with a cold start. But almost stalling? NOPE! The first place I'd check is fuel PSI if this were an older truck.

392DCGC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
May be having this too. Wasn't anywhere near cold this morning (60s), so I imagine it will only get worse in the winter. Started the truck and it had the RPM bouncing between 1000-1500 very noticeably with shudders on the lower end of that. Smoothed out after a minute but still... what the ****! I've had nearly a dozen HEMI engines and I've never seen this before.

I am starting to hate this truck. Stupid issue after stupid issue. At this rate I hope the wheels fall off so I can lemon this POS.

EddieB

Reaction score
Getting any dealership to look at your truck for a possible issue in Houston is like pulling teeth. You literally have to wait until that truck is BROKE before they will touch it. GOod luck to anyone dealing with service departments in TX.

nicodywill

Reaction score
It took 10 days for them to get a technician to look at it and he observed what I described.

I was told they found a faulty valve in the oil filter that was letting all the oil run out and into the bottom. They have since replaced it and are letting the pickup sit to have the truck go back to a "cold" state and they're going to see if that remedies the issue. I asked if this issue could have caused any potential damage to the motor and was told no.

I don't honestly know that much about the details of what I was just told so if anyone on here has any insight into if this is a thing or if I'm just getting lip service would be greatly appreciated.

Will update as more details become available.

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I think @firecadet613 found this same issue when doing a first oil change using the Mopar oil filter. He switched to another brand (might have been a Mobil1?) and it didn't reoccur.

Icecold77

Reaction score
Just got mine a week ago.. I'm in PA, have had a new Ram every year for a long time.. Day 2 remote start.. idle all over the place.. thought it was going to stall.. thought it was odd myself

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I really don't see this as the cause on a Hemi. They don't have oil-pressure driven injectors like a diesel - unless I'm way off.
I'm still thinking it's a bad sensor of some type and the computer is trying to regulate idle with bad info coming in.

bmoney5813

Reaction score
May not be the same issue but worth considering if they haven't found anything. Mine had a bad fuel pump from the factory. It would long crank and not start. There were "some" times that the RPMs would be really weak upon starting and it sounded similar to what your describing. No codes showed however. They had to do a fuel pressure test to find the issue. Its been rock solid since the fuel pump has been replaced.

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yes, I could easily see a bad batch of fuel pumps causing all of this.

nicodywill

Reaction score
May not be the same issue but worth considering if they haven't found anything. Mine had a bad fuel pump from the factory. It would long crank and not start. There were "some" times that the RPMs would be really weak upon starting and it sounded similar to what your describing. No codes showed however. They had to do a fuel pressure test to find the issue. Its been rock solid since the fuel pump has been replaced.
They also stated no codes showed on mine.

What is your build date? My pickup is almost identical to yours.

nicodywill

Reaction score
Mine is a 05/23 build date.

Hmm... mine is within a week of yours I believe.
I just spoke with my service adviser and requested them to run a fuel pressure test and verify everything was within spec.

bmoney5813

Reaction score
Hmm... mine is within a week of yours I believe.
I just spoke with my service adviser and requested them to run a fuel pressure test and verify everything was within spec.
I hope that’s the issue. It’s been great ever since.

392DCGC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It took 10 days for them to get a technician to look at it and he observed what I described.

I was told they found a faulty valve in the oil filter that was letting all the oil run out and into the bottom. They have since replaced it and are letting the pickup sit to have the truck go back to a "cold" state and they're going to see if that remedies the issue. I asked if this issue could have caused any potential damage to the motor and was told no.

I don't honestly know that much about the details of what I was just told so if anyone on here has any insight into if this is a thing or if I'm just getting lip service would be greatly appreciated.

Will update as more details become available.
Hmm, may explain why sometimes when I start it sounds like the engine is starved of oil for a few seconds... I'm going to use my 1st RAM care oil change tomorrow morning at 2,300 miles and see if that fixes it.

I wouldn't think that's my issue, but I could be wrong - May build as well. Truck has no problem starting, just odd engine sounds on cold starts and that brief rough idle in the cooler temps. Once it's wamed up it's 100% fine - no issues with power or idle.

Jordan2929

Reaction score
Changed my oil and oil filter last night at 2560 miles, it was about 45 degrees this morning and it started perfectly with no weird Revving issues. And I didn’t cycle it through the ignition cycle (which usually makes it start MUCH worse). So looks like it was an oil filter problem like firecadet noted earlier.

nicodywill

Reaction score
My service technician called earlier today and informed me that the filter was changed and they still experienced the issue again today on cold start. They have now replaced an air intake sensor and are thinking this may have been the culprit but will have to wait for the vehicle to be cold again to see if the issue is resolved. I will update on this after I hear back.

2019Bhorn

Reaction score
My truck does the same thing, the last time it did it I thought for sure it would throw a code, it barely stayed running..I have an appointment the 8 th to drop the truck off, I have a laundry list of things for them to look at.. exhaust is clunking going over little bumps, one of the moldings on the window is coming off, my driver's seat is clicking, and the ac doesn't blow very cold. Oh and my brakes make noise if I drive for like a hour,, the truck has just over 2000 miles, my last truck had twenty thousand miles, brakes never made any noise...a brand new truck shouldn't have all these issues.. not happy with my purchase...

392DCGC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Had my oil & filter changed Saturday morning at 2,400 miles and it's potentially resolved my issue (haven't noticed the issue anymore, but it's only been 2 days). I'll monitor and report back if it's still having rough starts... and we'll see how it performs once it really gets cold in the coming months.

Oh, and turns out RAM care is only free for high end trims in Texas. Thanks RAM - glad I bought a $66K MSRP truck and 4 free oil changes was too much to ask for.

Users who are viewing this thread