5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ROUGH starts on cold starts?

nicodywill

Reaction score
I've experienced very rough starts the last three mornings (at least) when heading to work.
I start the pickup using the remote start usually so it was possibly (see: probably) doing this before and I just didn't wasn't outside to notice it.
The truck acts like it doesn't want to start (but does) and the tachometer is all over the place all the way from near zero to 4K+ revving and nearly dying.
The truck sputters repeatedly and idles VERY rough with what i can only assume is non-standard noise coming from under the hood.
This usually lasts ~10 seconds before it seems to even out and has only been doing this on cold starts but I can't see this as being okay.
Anyone heard of other cases of this?

2019 - Ram - 1500 - Lonestar - 4x4 - 5.7 w/o e-torque - 3.21 gears - less than 2K miles -

Jspaulding

Reaction score
Mine has done that a few times when I was in Colorado. It hasn’t done it since. I figured I just got some bad gas.

Jordan2929

Reaction score
Every morning when I start my truck it idles very rough almost stalling until after about 15 seconds. But the bigger problem is this morning it actually stalled when I put it into reverse, so I had to shift back to park and restart it but I cycled it through the ignition cycle twice before actually starting it.

nicodywill

Reaction score
THE GOOD- The dealership set me up with a loaner while mine is being evaluated.
THE BAD- The loaner they gave me is a 2019 Ram 1500 and it also idled VERY rough and wanted to stall as well this morning....

202snowman

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
THE BAD- The loaner they gave me is a 2019 Ram 1500 and it also idled VERY rough and wanted to stall as well this morning....

Just out of curiosity where are you located? I dont see anything about your truck or location in your signature.

nicodywill

Reaction score
Just out of curiosity where are you located? I dont see anything about your truck or location in your signature.

Located in North Austin, Texas and the truck details are in the OP.

Looking at all possible angles at this point. The only constants I can think of are the location and the weather (roughly).

My driveway is on an incline (estimated >10 degree), I back into the drive, and the pickup has a heavy rake to the front end.
Could this be allowing fluids to settle at a bad angle/area and cause the issue?

The weather has been very humid and hot as it has been raining daily for the last week or more.
Could rainwater+high humidity+standard condensation be draining downhill from the exhaust tips forward and making some sensor trip out or something?

Jordan2929

Reaction score
I pull into my driveway with a similar incline to yours so the fluids would settle to the opposite end of things as yours, leading me to believe thats not the problem. I'm thinking this is a fuel related issue, I've started it up in the morning without cycling the ignition and it nearly stalls but when I go through the ignition cycle it starts much better which leads me to believe theres an issue with the sending unit not being able to catch up to the engine's demands (knowing that engines use much more fuel upon startup when its still cold) IMO the sending unit should prime when the truck detects the key fob and after the door shuts.

nicodywill

Reaction score
Day 8 at the dealership and I have no update on my pickup.
I can't lie that I'm a little discouraged/disappointed that my truck has been absent and sitting at the dealership for two of the first four weeks of ownership.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
I can't lie that I'm a little discouraged/disappointed that my truck has been absent and sitting at the dealership for two of the first four weeks of ownership.
What? Eight friggin days and no one has talked to you or given you an update? That's ridiculous. Get on the horn and talk to the service mgr asap.

Bwarren2

Reaction score

I saw a video on youtube yesterday of the same problem.

D

Deleted member 85

Hey guys -

Hemi V8 engines. super common, not damaging.

If our inventory sits for awhile this happens on DS Rams also. My shop foreman explained it as the lubrication on the lifters settles (gravity) over time and the engine gets a tad angry until it gets itself lubed up again. As a salesman, I used to always grab a truck I was showing for an appointment and check that it did not do this prior to the appointment. If it did, I went out for a 30 minute drive myself to get rid of it prior to showing the client.

D

Deleted member 85

The noises are bad, but I've never in 12 years seen one almost stall out or have the RPMs jump all over... sound horrible? Sure... Actually almost stall? Never.
You know the sound JRS, idle is high until it simmers down. As far as jumping up and down, yeah I don't know about that.

xo151

Reaction score

Is this at Nyle Maxwell? I'm thinking about purchasing from there too and am curious about their after purchase service.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Is this at Nyle Maxwell? I'm thinking about purchasing from there too and am curious about their after purchase service.
I can tell you that I did not leave that particular establishment with a good opinion...but that was on the service side, not sales.

nicodywill

Reaction score
No, but we did buy my wife’s Grand Cherokee from them and while the purchase was positive their service department is also lacking IMHO. I bought this one from Covert and I’m quickly finding out the same can be said for them. My ‘14 Ram came from Benny Boyd and was a positive experience all around. Only problem is they aren’t as convenient.

VectorZ

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My truck and the loaner I have are both hemis, and I haven't ever seen this issue.

Users who are viewing this thread