5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rock Crawler’s 2/4 Drop Saga

Clv22p

Reaction score
Gotcha. I’ll place an order. I’m currently searching for the matching shocks for the front.
You don’t have shocks in the front. They are struts. If your doing Belltech spindles there is no reason to change them. If you have to have bilstein in the front you could do a 5100 (used for lifting the front usually) set to stock ride height. Or you could run Belltechs coil over set to stock height.

Rock Crawler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You don’t have shocks in the front. They are struts. If your doing Belltech spindles there is no reason to change them. If you have to have bilstein in the front you could do a 5100 (used for lifting the front usually) set to stock ride height. Or you could run Belltechs coil over set to stock height.
Right, that’s what I meant. I know I don’t need to change them, but I’d rather all 4 corners match. It’s looking like the 5100 struts for my application are currently on backorder everywhere I’ve looked so far. I’ll keep looking. Thanks for the info.

Rock Crawler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Ordered:

Belltech #2652 2” Drop Spindle Set
Timber Grove #SQ8419421 4” Low Rear CRM Air Bags
Spohn #D09-1500-104 Adjustable Panhard Bar
Bilstein #24-185684 B8 5100 Series Rear Shocks
Helwig #7961 Adjustable Sway Bar Links

Backordered:

Bilstein #24-300872 B8 5100 Series Front Shocks (maybe mid to end of July)
Timber Grove #SQ4033746 Self Leveling Auto Air System

On The Fence:

IHC Cut Kit 4 Link Relocation Brackets (UPDATE - Ordered)

I’m pretty sure I’ll have to get the brackets because the offset angle might damage the bags. Whereas a metal spring would probably not be effected as much. It’s just the price is a hard pill to swallow when added to everything else.

Last edited:

Clv22p

Reaction score
I ordered the Belltech spindles today as well. I ended up doing the same rear setup as ferraiolo1. Maxtrac rear kit with 4inch lowering springs, bilsteins, and spohn bar.

I’m curious to hear your experience with the Timbergrove bags. I may switch to those at some point.

Rock Crawler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I ordered the Belltech spindles today as well. I ended up doing the same rear setup as ferraiolo1. Maxtrac rear kit with 4inch lowering springs, bilsteins, and spohn bar.

I’m curious to hear your experience with the Timbergrove bags. I may switch to those at some point.

I hope it works out. I’m just concerned about the rear ride quality. We shall see. Unfortunately, I can’t do my drop shackles until the front shocks become available. Don’t want to do the job twice.

Clv22p

Reaction score
I hope it works out. I’m just concerned about the rear ride quality. We shall see. Unfortunately, I can’t do my drop shackles until the front shocks become available. Don’t want to do the job twice.
I really wouldn’t bother swapping to those. They are designed with lifting in mind. Not really the right dampening and shock set up for a lowered truck. I think you will lose ride quality in the front over the stock struts

Rock Crawler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I really wouldn’t bother swapping to those. They are designed with lifting in mind. Not really the right dampening and shock set up for a lowered truck. I think you will lose ride quality in the front over the stock struts

Maybe. The rear 5100’s that I ordered are for lift as well, just not on this truck. Should be valved the same as the 5100’s for the front. I was just thinking that having the shock characteristics to be the same on all four corners would be best. I guess I might just run stock for a while and see how it rides. Just concerned the front will be plush, like it is now, and the rear will be stiff. Thus, making the ride odd. Maybe I’m overthinking it. I tend to do that.

Clv22p

Reaction score
Maybe. The rear 5100’s that I ordered are for lift as well, just not on this truck. Should be valved the same as the 5100’s for the front. I was just thinking that having the shock characteristics to be the same on all four corners would be best. I guess I might just run stock for a while and see how it rides. Just concerned the front will be plush, like it is now, and the rear will be stiff. Thus, making the ride odd. Maybe I’m overthinking it. I tend to do that.
The rear shocks are for a 90s Ford Ranger. Lol.

Mopar_maxi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have maxtrac lowering struts on the front of mine and the ranger 5100s on the rear. My truck rides great and you can’t tell any difference between the front and rear shocks.

Clv22p

Reaction score
Some of my parts have arrived. Waiting on the Spindles. They say shipped, but no date yet. I haven’t ordered the Spohn panhard bar or airbags yet. I guess I need to get that on order.

Rock Crawler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This is what I have so far:

3804DE49-BDF4-49D5-9167-2B93B848A77B.jpeg

I’m still waiting on the Panhard bar. I ordered it from Moe’s a week ago and haven’t received any updates. Also waiting on the axle brackets. They should be here Friday. I was really hoping to have everything here before this weekend. If not, I’ll have to wait at least another 2 weeks to do the project. The Beltech box was pretty bad with parts of the spindles sticking out. They look ok from I can see. These things are really heavy. They should really come in a small wood crate of some sort. I can’t imagine any of these being shipped without major box damage.

3F04F430-A868-453E-85F5-9747DBD9300F.jpeg F92007BB-084B-4B37-9197-5A7F18E8DC9C.jpeg

Last edited:

Clv22p

Reaction score
Same for my rear maxtrac box.

61646978-296D-43D4-AB27-618E21B1200E.jpeg
I guess I really do need to order the bar then. I figured it would come quick.

Rock Crawler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Kinda bummed. Moe’s told me today that they don’t have the Panhard bar in stock and had to order it from Spohn. They said it would probably be a coupe of weeks.

Users who are viewing this thread