5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Road noise- interior

Repsol69

Reaction score
I installed one but am keeping an eye on it. It's snug against the cab so any sand, grit, etc. can get in there and rub through the paint on the back of the cab.

What about noise??? Any worse than without it??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
What about noise??? Any worse than without it??

I didn't have bad noise beforehand but I do think it made it quieter. My bigger reason to install it was the amount of dirt that was coming in through the two vents on the rear wall of the cab. I'd only had it for a few months but the dusting of everything behind the rear carpet was astonishing for such a short period.

Repsol69

Reaction score
I didn't have bad noise beforehand but I do think it made it quieter. My bigger reason to install it was the amount of dirt that was coming in through the two vents on the rear wall of the cab. I'd only had it for a few months but the dusting of everything behind the rear carpet was astonishing for such a short period.

Great thanx waiting for mine to come in at the dealership. Parts guy asked is it missing I said yes it is a warranty item but I’ll do it. Lol

Repsol69

Reaction score
I received the seal this Friday and did the install on my October built Rebel.
View attachment 13590

Like others have noted, the seal is centered on the cab/bed. I made the mistake of starting with the outermost hole and could not get the rest to lineup. Eventually I was able to remove the seal and started with the second outermost hole I could find and the rest of the seal went in rather easily. Here are before and after pictures from the bed of the truck (kind of tough to take good pictures)

Before (without the seal):

View attachment 13591

After (with the seal installed):
View attachment 13592

As for noise isolation, I could tell the difference under 45MPH. I would say the difference from the driver seat without the seal in place was like driving with a rear window slightly open. Now with the seal in place, it drives as if the same rear window has been closed. However, I did a before and after test at 50MPH on the same stretch of roadway, and could not get a measurable difference in my sound decibel reader application.

I attribute this to the fact that I have the stock wrangler duratrac tires. I think the tire whine produced by the tires overcomes any speed related wind noise at 50MPH that may have been present without the seal installation. Just a thought. Or it could be that the sound meter app I have is not very accurate.

I wonder if someone with duratrac tires experiences the same low speed noise isolation improvement with the seal installed, but negligible noise isolation at highway speeds because of the tire whine?

I tried to install mine today started from the 2nd hole on the drivers side got them in but it wasn’t sitting flush at the other end between the last 2 push pins?? Does it sit perfectly flat against the bed ??

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I tried to install mine today started from the 2nd hole on the drivers side got them in but it wasn’t sitting flush at the other end between the last 2 push pins?? Does it sit perfectly flat against the bed ??

The holes should line up and it will be bent against the cab. When I put mine in I misjudged centered and started in the wrong hole. Well it didn't line up at all. When finished it should be exactly centered on the truck (wide gaps on each end) and when you squeeze it in there the cab edge should be bowed down. Imagine an upside down "U" shape from the side. Some have tried to install it upside down and the the holes will not line up.

Repsol69

Reaction score
The holes should line up and it will be bent against the cab. When I put mine in I misjudged centered and started in the wrong hole. Well it didn't line up at all. When finished it should be exactly centered on the truck (wide gaps on each end) and when you squeeze it in there the cab edge should be bowed down. Imagine an upside down "U" shape from the side. Some have tried to install it upside down and the the holes will not line up.

Yup I installed with the “U” facing down but the side that runs along the bed was buckled not sitting flat along the bed so I pulled if off.. ugh

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yup I installed with the “U” facing down but the side that runs along the bed was buckled not sitting flat along the bed so I pulled if off.. ugh

I'm thinking you started in a wrong hole then. If you fold the seal to itself you'll see that the holes are not symmetrical but it does match the holes in the bed, once you get started on the right one. As I mentioned, it took me two tries.

Repsol69

Reaction score
Ok got it installed today started from the passenger side this time I think it was right the first time cause it’s in the same holes... lol all good now sitting flat all the way across. Thx

Vic

Reaction score
Ok got it installed today started from the passenger side this time I think it was right the first time cause it’s in the same holes... lol all good now sitting flat all the way across. Thx

Notice any difference yet?

Repsol69

Reaction score
The center push pin for the seal is above the fuel tank. I have the 33 gal tank. It was a bit of a fight and knuckle buster to get that one pin inserted fully... possibly because the hole had an irregularity. The other pins a monkey could install. I haven’t had it out much since I installed the seal to really be able to say if it helped or not. I paid $14 for the seal at my dealer.
Mine is the second pin from the drivers side over the fuel tank but i don't have the 33 gal tank..?

txag09

Reaction score
Positive update for me. After opening a case with RAM about getting my weatherstrip purchase and install costs refunded, they have agreed to reimburse me the full amount.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-08-19 at 11.21.39 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-08-19 at 11.21.39 AM.png
    136.7 KB · Views: 119

The_Chemist

Reaction score
Positive update for me. After opening a case with RAM about getting my weatherstrip purchase and install costs refunded, they have agreed to reimburse me the full amount.
That's great! The dealer put the seal on mine the last time the truck was in. They were trying to find a whistling noise when the truck hits 43 mph. Chrysler recommend adding the seal.

Since I've had the seal, I've noticed a dramatic reduction in road noise. It didn't cure the whistling noise though. That may be a bearing.

I wonder why Ram removed the seal from production for the time period that they did?

Bigtone

Reaction score
Just had the dealer install the seal on my Laramie today. Trip home on the interstate was a bit quieter with the seat down. Haven't tried it yet with the seat up, which was noisier.

RJS

Reaction score
When I bought my 19 Laramie in late August, I tried the AC to be sure it worked and then ran with a window cracked for two weeks or so. As I closed up the cab, I heard a real significant noise that was mainly sunroof. I found it by taping the sunroof seams and the noise went down. Dealer took care of the sunroof but there was still a noise.

I retaped the sunroof and no change so over the next week or so, taped up every joint in the truck. Little change and then I ran across this thread. Stuffed a piece of foam between the cab and the bed. A major difference so I ordered the seal which mine didn't have and installed it today. Pretty straight forward even with my 33 gal tank as I took the advice about finding the correct holes before I started.

A major difference. It's now much quieter than my 14 Sport and I can hear the tires on the road. Great suggestion all.

MilehighRam

Reaction score
Im so glad I came across this thread. Having this same issue on my 2020 limited; its much louder than my 2014 or 2005 Ram. Kept feeling like a window was open. Just ordered the horozontal strip along with 16 sf of 1lb MLV. hope to have both in before we go on a 1200 mile road trip with a travel trailer.

Bearman95

Reaction score
Hey guys and girls. I am fairly new to this forum. I just wanted to chime in and say that my 2020 Laramie which has an August build does have the bed seal that everyone is referring to. I think it’s the quietest vehicle I’ve ever driven! 5‘7“ bed with the hemi.

Attachments

• E5653806-8558-41D9-939B-3A0EA1D79CDF.jpeg
    E5653806-8558-41D9-939B-3A0EA1D79CDF.jpeg
    118.9 KB · Views: 60

Blayne Speers

Reaction score
Check for seal at bottom rear of cab to box. Some pre Feb 2019 build date trucks are missing the rubber strip.

gHiDoRa

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Mine is very quite which made me hated it because i can hear every single noise the car make whenever i go over a bump or something. :):):)

smankins

Reaction score
Just FYI. My truck has a July 2019 build date and after reading this thread I checked and I do have the seal on the bottom between the cab and bed. I have the Lone Star Trim. I only notice a "wind" noise when there is actually higher winds outside. It varies from side to side depending on wind direction. Sometimes I think it is a little loud but perhaps not. My radio volume is usually below 15 and I have no problem hearing the radio. People in the front and back can converse at normal levels with no issues.
I like the idea of more sound deadening I see in this thread but I guess I might save that for a future project.

Reactions: MJP

Users who are viewing this thread