5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Road noise- interior

Damion

Reaction score
My truck had the “ rear door open “ noise it also has the bed to cab seal in place.

Today i I got my truck undercoated underneath , inside the doors etc. Basically if the wand would fit in a hole it got sprayed ( preparation for Atlantic winters ) now after the spray, the open door like noise is pretty much gone. I think the undercoat added some more sound deadening to the panels.

Ill keep an an eye on it see if it is gone or comes back

stevept

Reaction score
I'm new to this site and 1 month with a 2019 Ram 1500 Limited. I too had road noise in the rear seat window area. It sounded like the window was cracked and not a good seal. It wasnt a wind leaking issue just road noise. The kind of noise you hear when the door isnt closed all the way.. Anyway. I ended up isolating it to the rear door lower outside plastic vents . When you open the rear door there are plastic vents. I took off the vent and stuffed beach towels up and around to fill the empty void. There is a lot of empty space in there and it makes sense the area is creating the road noise. The towels are temporary and I'm researching a durable block foam material to use permanently. This seemed to really work for me. If anyone knows what the vent grills are for and if the space is needed or required please let me know. The area seems to be dry and sealed off from the elemets.

bonebro

Reaction score
I'm new to this site and 1 month with a 2019 Ram 1500 Limited. I too had road noise in the rear seat window area. It sounded like the window was cracked and not a good seal. It wasnt a wind leaking issue just road noise. The kind of noise you hear when the door isnt closed all the way.. Anyway. I ended up isolating it to the rear door lower outside plastic vents . When you open the rear door there are plastic vents. I took off the vent and stuffed beach towels up and around to fill the empty void. There is a lot of empty space in there and it makes sense the area is creating the road noise. The towels are temporary and I'm researching a durable block foam material to use permanently. This seemed to really work for me. If anyone knows what the vent grills are for and if the space is needed or required please let me know. The area seems to be dry and sealed off from the elemets.
Did it help deaden the road noise!!? I wouldn’t put anything in between the body panels that will hold and trap water from escaping, mine is full of mud atm when I pulled the vent cover, so I know it gets pretty wet in there. But, possibly using foam to baffle noise coming thru the vent and then using some sort of body undercoating to block noise going thru the metal into the vent space from underneath the truck. I may try to find the best undercarriage dampening spray/adhesive mat and give it a shot! Thanks for the tip @stevept

bonebro

Reaction score
I tried what @stevept did by stuffing rolled bath towels inside the lower door vent hole. I stuffed two up and back, parallel with the floor lengthwise and up against the plastic plate, then one more under those two to have the entire cavity behind the vent stuffed, then I stuffed one more below the vent. I did this on both sides and have been driving around like this for the last couple days.... my open window noise coming from the back seat is gone! Big difference!! Need to find a permanent fix for this now. I quickly tried to remove the lower c pillar trim today to see if I could stuff the towels on top of the plastic plate, but it requires removing the seats to get to the seatbelt bolt that holds the lower c pillar cover on. Any one removed this lower c pillar cover yet?

Brain h

Reaction score
I tried what @stevept did by stuffing rolled bath towels inside the lower door vent hole. I stuffed two up and back, parallel with the floor lengthwise and up against the plastic plate, then one more under those two to have the entire cavity behind the vent stuffed, then I stuffed one more below the vent. I did this on both sides and have been driving around like this for the last couple days.... my open window noise coming from the back seat is gone! Big difference!! Need to find a permanent fix for this now. I quickly tried to remove the lower c pillar trim today to see if I could stuff the towels on top of the plastic plate, but it requires removing the seats to get to the seatbelt bolt that holds the lower c pillar cover on. Any one removed this lower c pillar cover yet?
Expanding spray foam ?

J4U

Reaction score
When I dropped of my truck for service today, I asked the manager if he had tried my fix yet on his.

He hadn't and muttered something about a future recall. Will keep an eye out for that I said both got a good chuckle out of it. Would be nice if they are starting to come to their senses and take ownership of these issues.

MBORO19RAM

Reaction score

Any pics how you did this?

bonebro

Reaction score
Any pics how you did this?
I pulled The towels out a few days ago because I was still hearing road noise coming from the back seat while driving. Not much difference with and without the towels. I’ve tried so many things to deaden the road noise with not much luck. :( I’m going to have to just turn the radio up and enjoy the truck.

stevept

Reaction score
Did it help deaden the road noise!!? I wouldn’t put anything in between the body panels that will hold and trap water from escaping, mine is full of mud atm when I pulled the vent cover, so I know it gets pretty wet in there. But, possibly using foam to baffle noise coming thru the vent and then using some sort of body undercoating to block noise going thru the metal into the vent space from underneath the truck. I may try to find the best undercarriage dampening spray/adhesive mat and give it a shot! Thanks for the tip @stevept

UPDATE - I pulled

UPDATE - I'm pretty sure I've isolated the road sound discussed in this forum. I purchased acoustic foam blocks on Amazon approx 3 inches thick and 3 feet long. Here is the Amazon link below. I ordered qty 2 boxes and stuffed the foam under and up behind the rear seats as far up and across the entire rear. Fill all the gaps and cut the foam to fit in some areas. Finally, I used the foam directly behind the top of the rear seats. There is a gap between the interior plastic shell and the sliding glass window. THIS WAS A HUGH HELP. Pull the interior plastic carpet forward and jam the acoustic foam down to completely fill the gap the entire section of the rear sliding window area. I used microfiber towels to test and this could be a solution as well. Fold the towels lengthwise and stuff in the gap. Be sure the towels are stuffed deep enough to avoid interference with the rear window cable. Good luck and I hope this helps. I could take some photos if anyone is interested.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B016965YJ0/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

crangel

Reaction score
UPDATE - I pulled

UPDATE - I'm pretty sure I've isolated the road sound discussed in this forum. I purchased acoustic foam blocks on Amazon approx 3 inches thick and 3 feet long. Here is the Amazon link below. I ordered qty 2 boxes and stuffed the foam under and up behind the rear seats as far up and across the entire rear. Fill all the gaps and cut the foam to fit in some areas. Finally, I used the foam directly behind the top of the rear seats. There is a gap between the interior plastic shell and the sliding glass window. THIS WAS A HUGH HELP. Pull the interior plastic carpet forward and jam the acoustic foam down to completely fill the gap the entire section of the rear sliding window area. I used microfiber towels to test and this could be a solution as well. Fold the towels lengthwise and stuff in the gap. Be sure the towels are stuffed deep enough to avoid interference with the rear window cable. Good luck and I hope this helps. I could take some photos if anyone is interested.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B016965YJ0/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Yes, photo's would be very helpful!

stevept

Reaction score
I pulled The towels out a few days ago because I was still hearing road noise coming from the back seat while driving. Not much difference with and without the towels. I’ve tried so many things to deaden the road noise with not much luck. :( I’m going to have to just turn the radio up and enjoy the truck.
I'll try and take some photos and post - I posted another thing to try. T
Yes, photo's would be very helpful!
I hope this helps. I took a photo from the back of the rear seats with the slider open looking down. I stuffed folded microfiber towels the entire length of the truck to fill the gap. I had difficulty attaching the photo of the foam block placed behind the rear seats but should make sense. Lift the rear seats and push the foam acoustic blocks as far up and work your way down. Go the entire width of the back. I found the insulation lacking behind the rear seats. This really helped with the sound

Attachments

• 20191120_123924 (1).jpg
    20191120_123924 (1).jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 294

stevept

Reaction score

I hope this helps. I took a photo from the back of the rear seats with the slider open looking down. I stuffed folded microfiber towels the entire length of the truck to fill the gap. I had difficulty attaching the photo of the foam block placed behind the rear seats but should make sense. Lift the rear seats and push the foam acoustic blocks as far up and work your way down. Go the entire width of the back. I found the insulation lacking behind the rear seats. This really helped with the sound

Second photo: This is a photo of the foam acoustic blocks I purchased on Amazon. Push up the seats and push the blocks up and all the way across and down to the floor behind the rear seats.

Attachments

• 20191120_123714.jpg
    20191120_123714.jpg
    141.7 KB · Views: 225

bonebro

Reaction score
Second photo: This is a photo of the foam acoustic blocks I purchased on Amazon. Push up the seats and push the blocks up and all the way across and down to the floor behind the rear seats.
Thanks! I’ll try the micro fiber towels just below the window track. I have played with stuffing behind the rear carpet with many different materials, but I always end up pulling half of it out because I block too much airflow out of the cab and create positive pressure that pushes out on the doors when they are closed. This leads to howling noise from the gaskets around the doors when it’s windy out, but much less road noise ha I have not found a good balance yet.

Last edited:

Skud

Reaction score
So, how many of us with this issue also have the 22-inch wheels?

I have a 2019 Limited with the 22s and Goodyear tires. I've taken it to the dealer a number of times for too much road noise and a lot of "booming" and reverberation in the cab when going over bumps. I explain to them that it sounds like the rear doors are only on the first latch (road noise). The booming sound makes it sound like I'm listening to techno or dubstep music. Of course they find nothing.

Last week I swapped the 22s for a 20" winter set. The booming noise is 95% gone. I'd say it's comparable to my old 2015 Limited now. Also the road noise is 50% better. It's still louder than it should be, but it's at least tolerable now.

Riley

Hrspwr88

Reaction score
Just picked up my 2020 limited and it seems to have the seal installed. I have noise at around 70mph though. Sounds like rear passenger area...

Firepower2010

Reaction score
I got drove around last night and did some more investigating. I put the microfiber towels directly over the vents, stuffed towels under the center of the rear seat and installed the cab to box seal. Now, instead of most of the road noise being centered in the rear seat, the corners under the rear seat have the road noise. I’ll stuff more towels and try that. Does anyone have any idea what the vents on the bottom of the door jamb are for? Maybe that is the next culprit.
Did you ever get anywhere? I have the same high road noise Laramie with 20" street tires, I drove 2 Rebels, and both were quiet as a tomb vs mine.. Stealer says everything is normal..BS!! OH BTW, mine does have the rubber strip installed, but no change to road noise.

Firepower2010

Reaction score
So I've been rather upset with the excessive cabin noise especially at highway speeds and used the information from this post to start my investigation. I've attached a photo of one of the vents which was hard to capture but you can see a faint glare of daylight from outside. I took a video but could not upload it showing that at idle in my driveway and the heater blower on any speed including low, the flaps shutter open and close and i can clearly hear the engine and some exhaust noise. Of course taking on a drive is much worse. I am calling chrysler to start a case for this as I feel it is a poor design. I have not put in the missing seal between the cab and bed not have i added the missing sound mat at this time.
Please keep us informed. I'm having the same exact problem. Thanks

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Vents in various parts of the body are to prevent moisture building up in the interior, premature corrosion, as well as reducing air leak whistling at road speeds.

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 17 July 2018. Now at: 031859 miles.

MilehighRam

Reaction score
I spent the day yesterday adding CLD tiles (like dynomat) to the inside metal of my doors, them 1.5 lbs/ft of mass loaded vinyl between the plastic inner door skin and door skin. while this helps immensely, I still hear road noise. going to make a baffle box for the 2 rear vents and see where that gets me.

Users who are viewing this thread