5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Road noise- interior

J4U

Reaction score
I turned off the recirc for the first time this morning and literally pulled out on the main road and once I hit like 40 mph I literally pulled over thinking my right rear door was open. To my surprise the door was closed. I went ahead and got back on the road and could not figure out where the hell all that road noise was coming from. So after a little searching here I am. Is this supposed weatherstrip between the cab and bed actually a fix for this vent noise? I really don’t want to rip the rear seat out of my truck and owning a Big Horn I don’t even think the rear seats flip forward.
Mine has the strip between the cab and bed. No help with the noise. Aside from the crazy loud Borla Touring it was a quiet peaceful interior after I covered the vents.

ColoradoCub

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So your saying that the only way to drive around with my AC/Heater on fresh air mode and not have it sound like my right rear door is open is to completely cover the vents behind the rear seats?
Doesn’t that affect air flow if the are blocked off completely?

J4U

Reaction score
So your saying that the only way to drive around with my AC/Heater on fresh air mode and not have it sound like my right rear door is open is to completely cover the vents behind the rear seats?
Doesn’t that affect air flow if the are blocked off completely?
I put together a process a few pages back in this thread that explains what I did. The vents still allow air flow after I completed the process.

ColoradoCub

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I read that thread of yours and I see the hvac tape over the vent but I didn’t see where you explained how you left the vent open still. Can you please explain to me how you did that? Also does anyone know how to remove the back seats in the Big Horns ?

J4U

Reaction score
Read instead of skim? Haha. The PDF document I attached earlier has step by step and pics of how.

The HVAC tape is simply a means to attach the covers as well as the filter around the polyfill. There is polyfill inside the covers that "silence" a lot of the noise. Similar to a silencer on a firearm. The furnace filter prevents it from being brought into the vent itself.

The bottom of the covers are open thereby letting air flow. The restriction of airflow is determined by the amount of polyfill you put in.

I haven't heard of any other method that eliminated the "door/window open" interior noise that is so frustrating. It's a simple fix really that should be in the build (with better fitment and quality of course). The pita part is getting to it.

Edit:
Here is a link to the post with the PDF file

Last edited:

ColoradoCub

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks man I totally missed the pdf, I was looking at another guys fix. First thing I gotta do is figure out how to get behind that back seat.

Reactions: J4U

txag09

Reaction score
There is a service bulletin for the missing strip. I am in the process of trying to get refunded for my purchase of the strip and install.

ColoradoCub

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Did installing the strip make the noise go away on yours? I’ve read where several guys have installed the strip per the TSB and the noise was still there

BeauxXL1200

Ram Guru
Reaction score

bonebro

Reaction score
What’s the effect on the subwoofer sound?
Not much effect, may dampen it a bit, which in my opinion it needs.

Here is a pic of the dampener folded in half placed between the seat and sub. You can see it from the driver side rear seat when the armrest is down :( wish it were black and not white.

Attachments

• FCB6BD54-75D8-4819-8929-53A53FB3FA1C.jpeg
    FCB6BD54-75D8-4819-8929-53A53FB3FA1C.jpeg
    132.1 KB · Views: 209
  • 1A462675-2FB5-407E-95CA-0B89B82A8F62.jpeg
    1A462675-2FB5-407E-95CA-0B89B82A8F62.jpeg
    135.6 KB · Views: 204
Last edited:

BeauxXL1200

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Not much effect, may dampen it a bit, which in my opinion it needs.

Here is a pic of the dampener folded in half placed between the seat and sub. You can see it from the driver side rear seat when the armrest is down :( wish it were black and not white.
I agree that the subwoofer could be dampened a bit. I have the base on the equalizer set at only + 1 or + 2, and the base is still strong and I get a noisy rattling or vibration on certain songs. It could be the rear window rattling as some have reported. I might try your trick to see if it helps with the rattling/vibration.

Repsol69

Reaction score
I looked today an noticed i do not have this strip but i really don't hear any noise from back there ??? Should i go ahead and get the strip installed ??

ColoradoCub

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I bought two of these: uxcell 50cmx80cm Car Audio Stereo... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01KX96WEK?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

I installed one on the drivers side behind the rear wall carpet and the other on the passenger side between the rear seat and the subwoofer. Helped a bunch. I have had this setup for a couple months now and finally enjoy my truck!

That looks like a good solution. I found that when my back seats are folded up the noise is much more pronounced, can hardly hear it with the seats down.

Does anyone know how to gain access behind the rear seats on a bighorn?

duke2001

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Can anyone explain the difference in rear cab build in all the truck lines? By this I mean, if I have a Limited model with HK sub-woofer and no e-torque, and a Big Horn, Laramie, or Rebel have the same in the rear cabin, what other differences could there be to cause one truck to have a noise problem. I do have the components and the strip outside the cab and my noise levels are acceptable. Does the Limited have more cab insulation or is something else different. Just posting this in hope it can help those with noise problems discover source.

stroker3838

Reaction score
2019 1500 Limited with build date 10/20/2018.

Excessive road noise which is most noticeable at highway speeds. The cabin noise on this truck is clearly louder than the 2019 truck I test drove and my own previous truck.

Does anyone know how to test the active noise cancellation system?

Anyone else have cabin noise louder than expected?

Thanks in advance.
i thought mine was noisy when i first got and come to find out there was plastic piece missing between cab and box, theres a tsb for it, just have to look between box and cab and it will beat the bottom. since i got mine installed its way quieter.

stroker3838

Reaction score
Can anyone explain the difference in rear cab build in all the truck lines? By this I mean, if I have a Limited model with HK sub-woofer and no e-torque, and a Big Horn, Laramie, or Rebel have the same in the rear cabin, what other differences could there be to cause one truck to have a noise problem. I do have the components and the strip outside the cab and my noise levels are acceptable. Does the Limited have more cab insulation or is something else different. Just posting this in hope it can help those with noise problems discover source.
theres a tsb for a plastic piece that goes between the cab and the box. my was missing on my truck.it sounded like the rear door wasn't shut tight, a lot of road noise. you just need to look between the cab and box to see if it is there.

Repsol69

Reaction score
Could installing this rubber strip that’s missing on could it possibly make it louder in the cab?? Why would the factory not install it???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Could installing this rubber strip that’s missing on could it possibly make it louder in the cab?? Why would the factory not install it???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I installed one but am keeping an eye on it. It's snug against the cab so any sand, grit, etc. can get in there and rub through the paint on the back of the cab.

Users who are viewing this thread