5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Road noise- interior

MBORO19RAM

Reaction score
I spent the day yesterday adding CLD tiles (like dynomat) to the inside metal of my doors, them 1.5 lbs/ft of mass loaded vinyl between the plastic inner door skin and door skin. while this helps immensely, I still hear road noise. going to make a baffle box for the 2 rear vents and see where that gets me.

I did that and made a huge difference. Check your rear door weatherstrip too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sonnie

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I checked my 2020 Laramie... the rubber strip is installed between the bed and cab. I pulled the seats out to do the rear panel treatment and build some filtered covers for the vents like others have done, and I noticed on the back of the removable panel there is a section of MLV that goes over the area of the vents. The noise is not all that bad in mine, but I am still treating it to hopefully help with the aftermarket sub.

Last edited:

MayhemMOORE

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Weekend before last I spent a hot 8 hours off and on in the garage with the rear interior removed and applied sound matting from the center console rearwards on the floor and up the back wall. I also stuck a few pieces inside the rear pillars where I could get my hand in with the trim and seatbelts removed. I did not mess with the vents yet. Definitely seems quieter and now I notice more noise from the front vs the rear passenger door. When I get around to replacing speakers I plan on doing the doors and maybe some other areas up front as well.
91cbaacfc7a65b5e856c7d049df7a323.jpg

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Weekend before last I spent a hot 8 hours off and on in the garage with the rear interior removed and applied sound matting from the center console rearwards on the floor and up the back wall. I also stuck a few pieces inside the rear pillars where I could get my hand in with the trim and seatbelts removed. I did not mess with the vents yet. Definitely seems quieter and now I notice more noise from the front vs the rear passenger door. When I get around to replacing speakers I plan on doing the doors and maybe some other areas up front as well.
91cbaacfc7a65b5e856c7d049df7a323.jpg
Lot of effort there! Looks good.

Richluck

Reaction score
Vents in various parts of the body are to prevent moisture building up in the interior, premature corrosion, as well as reducing air leak whistling at road speeds.

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 17 July 2018. Now at: 031859 miles.
Yeah it's bizarre that people go to great links to change what car manufacturers engineers work on for years to improve ride quality while still maintaining proper HVAC systems. It's like these people all drive around without the Radio on. You didn't buy a mercedes and even though it's 50-60K it's still a truck. wtf

Dave_Drums

Reaction score
2019 1500 Limited with build date 10/20/2018.

Excessive road noise which is most noticeable at highway speeds. The cabin noise on this truck is clearly louder than the 2019 truck I test drove and my own previous truck.

Does anyone know how to test the active noise cancellation system?

Anyone else have cabin noise louder than expected?

Thanks in advance.
What motor do you have? I have a 2020 Limited and I feel it’s louder that it should be too. But mines also an EcoDiesel and so my understanding is that I don’t have active noise canceling

Ridgeback

Reaction score
Mine has the wind noise coming from the rear passenger area. Most likely the cabin vent on the back wall that equalizes the pressures when the hvac is on. I’ve found if I turn off the hvac from the climate screen (12” system) the road/wind noise disappears/dissipates. I’ll be dropping mine off at the dealer today for this and other issues. @RamCares has been great in creating a case for me at my local dealer.
Did you ever get a solution? I too have the same problem with my 2019 Laramie. Dealer blows me off. Frustrating.

EMS_Pilot_66

Reaction score
Did you ever get a solution? I too have the same problem with my 2019 Laramie. Dealer blows me off. Frustrating.
I did get the bed to cab seal installed. It made some improvement but doesn’t silence the air/road noise. I found however if you turn on the recirc it will close those vents and decrease the road noise even more. Like others say, most of us drive around with the radio on and that in itself drowns out most of the noise.

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
This is not what we want to hear, @Ridgeback. Please do not hesitate to send us a private message with additional details of your most recent dealer visit so that we may best assist at this point.

Mark
RamCares

ramlaramie

Reaction score
Hi - New to the forum, having the same issue. Purchased 2020 Ram Laramie Crew Cab in the summer. The cabin interior always sounds like I am driving in heavy wind. The wind noise goes from low to high and high to low. Always happens at speeds higher than 45 MPH. I have tried the recirculate button. It helps a little but still sounds like I have a window open while driving. The noise drives me nuts as I spend most of my work day in my vehicle. I made an appointment with the dealership that sold me the truck. They have never heard of this problem which makes me very worried that they will blow me off. My appointment is on the 23rd of Nov.

Wsmith

Reaction score
Hi - New to the forum, having the same issue. Purchased 2020 Ram Laramie Crew Cab in the summer. The cabin interior always sounds like I am driving in heavy wind. The wind noise goes from low to high and high to low. Always happens at speeds higher than 45 MPH. I have tried the recirculate button. It helps a little but still sounds like I have a window open while driving. The noise drives me nuts as I spend most of my work day in my vehicle. I made an appointment with the dealership that sold me the truck. They have never heard of this problem which makes me very worried that they will blow me off. My appointment is on the 23rd of Nov.
They always say they have never heard of this problem, If they said they know of the problem they would be more on the hook to fix it. They will likely tell you it's normal. Good luck.

RamCares

Reaction score
Hello @ramlaramie, we are very sorry to hear about this concern you are experiencing. Our team would be happy to assist alongside your dealer appointment to ensure that this matter is addressed. Please send us a private message with your VIN and mileage so that we may determine how to best assist you from here.

Kathryn
RamCares

5th limited

Reaction score
2019 1500 Limited with build date 10/20/2018.

Excessive road noise which is most noticeable at highway speeds. The cabin noise on this truck is clearly louder than the 2019 truck I test drove and my own previous truck.

Does anyone know how to test the active noise cancellation system?

Anyone else have cabin noise louder than expected?

Thanks in advance.
Hello

I work a lot so I don't get a chance to log on as much as I would like.

I also have the same noise issue as everyone on here. I notice many of you suggest using the seal between the cab and the bed. Yes that is an issue. For those who have paid for it there is a service bulletin where the dealer will replace it for free if you complain about the wind noise issue. Have them look for bulletin #23-012-19

It probably wont help most of you (it didn't help me).

Kenny4

Reaction score
Hello

I work a lot so I don't get a chance to log on as much as I would like.

I also have the same noise issue as everyone on here. I notice many of you suggest using the seal between the cab and the bed. Yes that is an issue. For those who have paid for it there is a service bulletin where the dealer will replace it for free if you complain about the wind noise issue. Have them look for bulletin #23-012-19

It probably wont help most of you (it didn't help me).
I bought a 21 Bighorn 5.7 on 11/30/20. Drove it home at night and couldn't believe the noise for a new vehicle. I kept trying to close the passenger side windows. Even checked to see if doors were open. The truck doesn't have upgraded tires nor a sun roof. I've been scrolling through the threads and haven't noticed any solid resolve from Ram dealers. Anyone have any new or further info on this. Now instead of enjoying my new truck, I find myself constantly listening trying to identify the source. Thanks

RJS

Reaction score
I bought a 21 Bighorn 5.7 on 11/30/20. Drove it home at night and couldn't believe the noise for a new vehicle. I kept trying to close the passenger side windows. Even checked to see if doors were open. The truck doesn't have upgraded tires nor a sun roof. I've been scrolling through the threads and haven't noticed any solid resolve from Ram dealers. Anyone have any new or further info on this. Now instead of enjoying my new truck, I find myself constantly listening trying to identify the source. Thanks
Buy a roll of 2" blue 3M tape and mask all the openings. If the truck quiets down, just take off tape until it makes a noise. Take it to the dealer and have them repair it. Check the mirrors also. If it still make noise then it probably a cowl or windshield leak and there are posts on the forum about these also.

I KNOW I KNOW, why doesn't the dealer do this!!!???. It takes a lot of time and they probably don't get paid for it so they'll just do what they can.
My 19 had a sunroof noise, so I used this method and the service manager was grateful when I told him. Fixed overnight and it quiet now.

It also looks like heck but if it quiets it down, what the harm.

Rnowjr

Reaction score
has anyone else had a constant rattle sound coming from the glove box area while driving?

RamCares

Reaction score
has anyone else had a constant rattle sound coming from the glove box area while driving?
Hello Rnowjr,

If you decide to reach out to a Ram dealership to address this concern, please private message us so we can escalate a case and provide additional support while in service!

Hannah
Ram Cares

Kenny4

Reaction score
Buy a roll of 2" blue 3M tape and mask all the openings. If the truck quiets down, just take off tape until it makes a noise. Take it to the dealer and have them repair it. Check the mirrors also. If it still make noise then it probably a cowl or windshield leak and there are posts on the forum about these also.

I KNOW I KNOW, why doesn't the dealer do this!!!???. It takes a lot of time and they probably don't get paid for it so they'll just do what they can.
My 19 had a sunroof noise, so I used this method and the service manager was grateful when I told him. Fixed overnight and it quiet now.

It also looks like heck but if it quiets it down, what the harm.
What openings are you referring to? And were you applying the tape?

RJS

Reaction score
What openings are you referring to? And were you applying the tape?
Anywhere there's a potential air leak. I masked the entire sunroof perimeter and then removed the tape in sections until the noise started so I knew where it came from. For doors, I'd tape the gaps closed around the doors as well as the glass to door areas. If the noise goes away then start removing small areas to see when it comes back.
I use blue 3M painters tape as it's made to come off if not left on for weeks and used the 2" wide so it would cover the gaps. No reason not to do it yourself as the tape is designed to come off residue free and not peel paint.

Users who are viewing this thread