5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Road noise- interior

Cheddy

Reaction score
For what it’s worth I had a custom build that came in 2 days ago (haven’t taken delivery yet). I did check for the Bed to Cab seal and it was there. I was surprised as it was something I was planning to add. Not sure why some are coming without this. Maybe they have decided to add them back to builds now??? Either way the test drive on the truck seemed whisper quiet.

J4U

Reaction score
Even the reverberation (helicopter with only one window down) is better.

Have a plan to help more for that too and may do that today after I install the harness for my reverse LED's that are coming in June when available.

Write up still coming just been enjoying driving a quieter truck again.

heydre

Reaction score
Even the reverberation (helicopter with only one window down) is better.

Have a plan to help more for that too and may do that today after I install the harness for my reverse LED's that are coming in June when available.

Write up still coming just been enjoying driving a quieter truck again.

Appreciate your posts they are helpful to many...

J4U

Reaction score
Just did a test on adding my idea to the rear headliner. It added more reduction to reducing the helicopter window down vacuum. Even at 80mph. More to come in that too as to where and how to get them "pinched in". First go around a couple vibrated loose.
66016113b6d94b8358d8a09c95197796.jpg

Mega pool noodles aren't just for keeping people afloat. Three bucks at Wal-Mart and only a little bit is needed. I cut the remaining section in thirds for the better half for her boot support while in the closet ...haha.

Okay, maybe $6 as now I have to buy another one because 3 "boot" supports don't work for most.

sticker500

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Sound material installed. Have enough left over to do the doors at a later time. My idea about vent covers didn't work out and need try something else.
414efe12d3029eaf43ba2120b67174f3.jpg

I have the same stuff just haven't done anything with it but did you have the roller? Also did you just cut around the bolts, etc?

J4U

Reaction score
I have the same stuff just haven't done anything with it but did you have the roller? Also did you just cut around the bolts, etc?
I did get the roller from them as well. It does make the bigger sections easier and for the cost, glad I did (heavier than most). My step son has used it since to roll on vinyl graphics to his shotgun case, so win-win.

I do recommend that when cutting the smaller pieces, as there are a lot, you discard the excess out of the truck. This stuff is so easy to work with and also recommend cutting the sections into thirds to work with. Very sticky and can grab on to the carpet. Hard to get out. I was "that" guy... Don't be "that" guy.

I put sections down at a time and if it covered a bolt hole, plastic mount support, etc...I would cut it out with a blade right after rolling it. Didn't want to forget to later...I however did cut out the wrong bolt hole for one of the seats. Put a new piece there and cut out the correct one. The passenger back seat rear bolt is not inline with the front. There is also a "knob" that the outer most portion of both seats have where it sits in one of the many holes that aren't used by the OEM. Not a problem as it can be pushed through the material when installing the seats. A lot of unused holes in the cab are covered by the material which helps.

I will depicted in my write up some harbor freight dash removal tools that I used for the smaller areas. Worked great! I think this along with the sub separation is what is now giving me outstanding bass even at high volume with no vibration at minimal distortion.

Also take a pic of the seat belt you will remove and pay attention to what goes where. Even the path as it goes UNDER the metal bar of the 60 section. Had to remove it a third time as I thought I remembered correctly...not.

Last edited:

J4U

Reaction score
Have been waiting to make sure the quietness remains. Although I want to use the word silence as that's what it is compared to what it used to be.

Stopped by the dealer I switched too to let him know the brake work they did is holding up with no squeals in front or groans in back backing up. I also let him know I fixed the noise and explained the process to him and showed him pics.

After my last visit he decided to turn down the HK19 on his truck and guess what...he is now hearing it too! Haha.

He wants part #'s for the sound material, sub wrap, and how I built the vent covers!

Took a 2 hour round trip today through rain, snow and heavy traffic...so peaceful! Now I'm glad I have the warning system in my mirrors as I can't hear people beside me.

Will get to this soon.

Nick814

Reaction score
I feel like so much of my noise is coming from passenger back door. Like the window is open or the door isnt closed all the way

J4U

Reaction score
I feel like so much of my noise is coming from passenger back door. Like the window is open or the door isnt closed all the way
Exactly what I was experiencing. Do you have the OEM sub?

AC recirc button would change the pitch but would not go away. At least for mine and I'm pretty sure any with the OEM sub, it's not the rear passenger door. I haven't looked behind the seats of trucks that don't have the sub to see if the carpet has the vents cut in it for a sub. I'm assuming they don't and it's solid. I thought that was it for sure until I reworked behind the seat.

My truck is so quiet now!

Edit:
Not so quiet now with the Borlen Touring cat...oof.

Thank goodness I put sound deadening material on the back.

Last edited:

J4U

Reaction score
MY FIX for a quiet ride

Rear Passenger side door road noise. Seems like window or door is open? Simply modified a process already completed by someone else. Take a look at attached pdf...

I can’t confirm, but my thought is the recirculation vent on the passenger side is so close to the sub that it actually passes the noise through the air space and out the slots in the carpet in front of the sub. Both vents are culprits, but the passenger side is the main producer of noise. My "helicopter" (when one window down feels like thumping in the ears) noise has been drastically reduced as well.

Please proceed at your own risk and I assume no responsibility if you take on this process.

Attachments

• Quieting the Beast.pdf
    1.4 MB · Views: 310
Last edited:

bonebro

Reaction score
MY FIX for a quiet ride

Won’t go into previous detail about symptoms that caused me to search this forum and find a workaround for me as it’s been mentioned earlier in this thread. Below is the process I used to complete the correction (for me) and now enjoy quietness at my rear passenger door. Simply modified a process already completed by someone else.

I can’t confirm, but my thought is the recirculation vent on the passenger side is so close to the sub that it actually passes the noise through the air space and out the slots in the carpet in front of the sub.

It took a lot longer than I thought to put together and haven't proofed it yet but will attach in case some are interested. I will look it over and adjust as needed or if questions arise at a later point.

Please proceed at your own risk and I assume no responsibility if you take on this process.
Appreciate your time into sharing with us! I am going to follow your instructions and do this to my Limited soon.

Fidomac

Reaction score
Going to stick with this thread as title makes more sense.

Took the back seats out and took it for a ride with me in the back to see what was happening.
c3217d432ec1420eeb8cc179c0fb7390.jpg

Took two videos at different speeds and had my better half inable and disable the recirculating aspect if the climate system.

This is for sure the area where all the road noise is coming in for me and probably making it worse with the sub keeping the carpet away as well as letting it through the carpet cuts for the sub.

Going to seal off the sub and fabricate a cover for the vents as well as put sound material on the wall. The sound material will have little impact on road noise but I purchased it and will put it on anyway.

Video at 30-40 mph

Video at 75 mph

Will edit with progress
Thank you...U the man.....lol

Reactions: J4U

J4U

Reaction score
MY FIX for a quiet ride

Rear Passenger side door road noise. Seems like window or door is open? Simply modified a process already completed by someone else. Take a look at attached pdf...

I can’t confirm, but my thought is the recirculation vent on the passenger side is so close to the sub that it actually passes the noise through the air space and out the slots in the carpet in front of the sub. Both vents are culprits, but the passenger side is the main producer of noise. My "helicopter" (when one window down feels like thumping in the ears) noise has been drastically reduced as well.

Quoting myself as I updated the document with a pic of where to locate the latch release (for pulling back of seat forward) in trucks with reclining back seats. Don't think I copied the PDF as I don't want to keep posting the larger file.

GOATinstructor

Reaction score
Now that is how you do it! Nicely done.

Results?
cant hear a damn thing from the back. Just finished putting everything back together today and haven't test drove much. It feels so solid back there and I am pleased with how everything came together. Total job was about 16 hours or so. Exhausting. I should have kept going all the way up to the front footwells, but stopped at the center console. A project for another day.

I started this because I was adding a 500 watt amp and two 12" subs in two separate shallow wedge boxes behind the back seat. I also swapped all speakers except for back headliner with JBL GX series. Only listened for a few minutes but currently, I am not too sure on the sound - wish I has a true equalizer.

wildh24

Ram Guru
Reaction score
cant hear a **** thing from the back. Just finished putting everything back together today and haven't test drove much. It feels so solid back there and I am pleased with how everything came together. Total job was about 16 hours or so. Exhausting. I should have kept going all the way up to the front footwells, but stopped at the center console. A project for another day.

I started this because I was adding a 500 watt amp and two 12" subs in two separate shallow wedge boxes behind the back seat. I also swapped all speakers except for back headliner with JBL GX series. Only listened for a few minutes but currently, I am not too sure on the sound - wish I has a true equalizer.

I know exactly what you are saying. It's good but has it's flaws. Wish there was something it there that allowed us to highjack the amp and tweek. I assume all of the factory software and processing is done there.

Glad you're soundproofing went well. I can imagine it's like an isolation chamber. I did the same thing to my last truck (doors included) and it was amazing quiet. Now you're going to hear every tick or creak in the cab. Lol.

doug55579

Reaction score
I am now 3800 miles and 9 weeks into ownership. I have been very happy until a loud and obnoxious plastic on plastic or plastic on metal sound started two days ago out of nowhere. The sound is coming from the left driver side dash or driver side door panel and happens on bumps. I am trying to figure it out myself before wasting a trip to the dealer with my busy schedule. For the price that these things cost these issues should not be so prevalent.

Justinludwig911

Reaction score
MY FIX for a quiet ride

I just want to say thank you for writing this up. I have been following the instructions for the past three days, as I have been working. My truck is now completely silent and my sub now sounds so much better. It took myself about 12 hours total, but I used the same material around the floor storage and all. Many thanks!

2019 Ram Laramie 5.7 4x4 Level 2

Reactions: J4U

ColoradoCub

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I turned off the recirc for the first time this morning and literally pulled out on the main road and once I hit like 40 mph I literally pulled over thinking my right rear door was open. To my surprise the door was closed. I went ahead and got back on the road and could not figure out where the hell all that road noise was coming from. So after a little searching here I am. Is this supposed weatherstrip between the cab and bed actually a fix for this vent noise? I really don’t want to rip the rear seat out of my truck and owning a Big Horn I don’t even think the rear seats flip forward.

Users who are viewing this thread