5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ride Quality w/ Off Road Package

Savagescott

Reaction score
I’ll be ordering my Limited soon. I’m considering adding the off road package only to get the additional 1” ride height to accomdate bigger tires. Can anyone comment on the ride quality of the Limited with off road? Any different than without?

RT70808

Reaction score
I’ll be ordering my Limited soon. I’m considering adding the off road package only to get the additional 1” ride height to accomdate bigger tires. Can anyone comment on the ride quality of the Limited with off road? Any different than without?
Having a limited with Off Road and Air all I can say is it’s great. Didn’t drive one without it, didn’t need to, didn’t want to. It’s the perfect 4 hour road trip boat tower.

sgk

Reaction score
Having a limited with Off Road and Air all I can say is it’s great. Didn’t drive one without it, didn’t need to, didn’t want to. It’s the perfect 4 hour road trip boat tower.
I'll second that, it dives pretty darn good. But like RT... said I never really drove one without so not much to compare to. I may be part of the minority but I prefer having the smaller rim size. (not that i dislike large rims) Just a preference for me and this truck.

Savagescott

Reaction score
Thank you. I like the look of the 22s but not as is with the small sidewall.... which is why I’m looking for easy ways to get a bigger tire. Reading many of the wheel related posts, I’m starting to think I may have to go with 20s to get the tire look I want. What wheels/tires do y’all have on your Limiteds?

Jared B

Site admin
Staff member
Reaction score
I've driven a Limited without off road group and a Longhorn with Air suspension and off road group. Both had the 20 inch wheels and both rode great.

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've driven Limiteds with and without Off Road, and bought OR. I'd say the OR feels slightly firmer which is due to the HD Hitachi shocks and more air in the suspension. But it is nowhere near rough. I blasted over a railroad crossing yesterday (the elevated kind that tend to be rough) and the Ram was like a magic carpet floating over it. I was frankly amazed at how utterly smooth it was. Now it would have been smoother in a non-OR but no one on earth could complain about how the OR model smoothed out that rough patch.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
In my truck (equipped with both the ORG and air suspension), the ride is very good at all times. You feel the small/choppy bumps of a torn-up road, but they are muted and the truck handles them quietly. What I find most impressive is the way the truck handles the large dips/bumps, e.g. a rough rail crossing or major dip in the road. It just soaks them up. I have to believe the credit here is due to the air suspension absorbing that impact beautifully.

Savagescott

Reaction score
Thanks for the thoughts, guys. What were the main reasons you chose to add the ORP? In my case, it would only be to gain the extra 1” for the possibility to fit larger tires, i.e., I won’t be doing anything off pavement. Is the ORP worth adding for that reason?

dutchman187

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thank you. I like the look of the 22s but not as is with the small sidewall.... which is why I’m looking for easy ways to get a bigger tire. Reading many of the wheel related posts, I’m starting to think I may have to go with 20s to get the tire look I want. What wheels/tires do y’all have on your Limiteds?

I've seen this comment a couple times now. This is my first truck and I got the 22s because I liked the look. What is the small sidewall issue? Should I be concerned about this?

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks for the thoughts, guys. What were the main reasons you chose to add the ORP? In my case, it would only be to gain the extra 1” for the possibility to fit larger tires, i.e., I won’t be doing anything off pavement. Is the ORP worth adding for that reason?

Wanted the OR tires, hill descent control, HD shocks, and skid plates. Great value for the price. In hindsight I probably would not have ordered it since sales rep claimed the 1" increase was only a setting on the air suspension, i.e. not permanent. Not a deal breaker but now I'm trying to figure out how to get into the airport parking garage.

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've seen this comment a couple times now. This is my first truck and I got the 22s because I liked the look. What is the small sidewall issue? Should I be concerned about this?

Probably not but there are a few who are gun shy. I popped a tire and bent a rim on a missing piece of expansion joint on an overpass in Dallas and don't ever want to be in that position again. I opted for the 20" wheels just to have a little more rubber on the road. I think they handle amazingly well, especially compared to a slightly older truck. Remember when 15" was normal? Or even 18"?
Personal preference.

dutchman187

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Probably not but there are a few who are gun shy. I popped a tire and bent a rim on a missing piece of expansion joint on an overpass in Dallas and don't ever want to be in that position again. I opted for the 20" wheels just to have a little more rubber on the road. I think they handle amazingly well, especially compared to a slightly older truck. Remember when 15" was normal? Or even 18"?
Personal preference.

Thanks. I might have went 20 in retrospect, but probably not the hassle of trying to sell the 22s now and buy 20s.

Savagescott

Reaction score
I have 285/45/22s on my Tahoe and they look good. I’ve never been concerned about safety, etc My comment wanting more sidewall is simply about looks .

That size looks good on the Tahoe but for some reason just looks small to me on the pickup. I’d love to stay with 22s and get a bigger tire but for what I’m willing to modify, tires much bigger may not be practical. Which brings me full circle back to my original question.

dutchman187

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have 285/45/22s on my Tahoe and they look good. I’ve never been concerned about safety, etc My comment wanting more sidewall is simply about looks .

That size looks good on the Tahoe but for some reason just looks small to me on the pickup. I’d love to stay with 22s and get a bigger tire but for what I’m willing to modify, tires much bigger may not be practical. Which brings me full circle back to my original question.

Sorry to hijack man!

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Much like @Edwards, I wanted the Falken tires, hill descent control, HD shocks, skid plates, and full-time 1" lift. I'm coming from a 3/4-ton with most of that kit, and I wanted the new truck to match. Shoot...I even wanted the 4x4 sticker :)

Troop2865

Reaction score
I wanted the electric locking rear differential and the skid plates. I think the package is bargain priced for everything that is included. If you simply want the room for a bigger tire but don’t really need the OR package, you could simply add a leveling kit or smaller lift for less money spent.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I wanted the electric locking rear differential and the skid plates. I think the package is bargain priced for everything that is included. If you simply want the room for a bigger tire but don’t really need the OR package, you could simply add a leveling kit or smaller lift for less money spent.
I forgot to list the e-locker, but I agree on that too!

The_Chemist

Reaction score
In my truck (equipped with both the ORG and air suspension), the ride is very good at all times. You feel the small/choppy bumps of a torn-up road, but they are muted and the truck handles them quietly. What I find most impressive is the way the truck handles the large dips/bumps, e.g. a rough rail crossing or major dip in the road. It just soaks them up. I have to believe the credit here is due to the air suspension absorbing that impact beautifully.
Do you think in a truck without the ORG you would not feel the small/choppy bumps of a torn-up road? Just curious...... Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread