5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ride Quality w/ Off Road Package

XDBrad

Reaction score
Driving daily on the Ohio pot hole laden roads.... pretty freaking smooth compared to my 2015 GMC SLT. Haven’t driven a non ORP so I can’t compare those two.

The_Chemist

Reaction score
Driving daily on the Ohio pot hole laden roads.... pretty freaking smooth compared to my 2015 GMC SLT. Haven’t driven a non ORP so I can’t compare those two.
Thanks for the input! It's great to hear that the ORG rides that snooth! I live in PA. Our roads are anongdt the worst - with the highest taxes, of course.

It'll be refreshing to drive a vehicle that smooth.

Right now I'm driving a 2011 Hyundai Santa Fe AWD Limited, which I am keeping. Most reliable vehicle I've ever owned. 7 years and not one single problem. A smooth ride however, is not its forte. It crashes over bumps and transmits all the noise, vibration and harshness into the cabin.

I really want something a lot more isolated like the RAM 1500. I'll be getting, if it ever ships, a Laramie Longhorn with the ORG and air suspension.

I was hoping that I didn't make a wrong decision ordering the ORG. It'll probably never actually go off road per se... I ordered the ORG for the sometimes rough PA winters. I was crossing my fingers that it wouldn't have a firm or should I say, stiff ride. I ordered it without test driving the ORG. I drove both an air suspension non-ORG and a standard spring suspension.

The_Chemist

Reaction score
Just saw you have the 3.92 rear axle ratio. What kind of fuel economy or mpg do you get?

Gorgeous Truck - by the way! Love the hood on the sport appearance package.

XDBrad

Reaction score
I’ve yet to put many highway miles on it, primarily just to work and back (10 miles each way) and am getting 14-15mpg. I also tend to accelerate a little faster than I should too but can’t help it, sounds good and feels like a sports car.

The_Chemist

Reaction score
Agree 100%.
Great. You're building my conference!
I’ve yet to put many highway miles on it, primarily just to work and back (10 miles each way) and am getting 14-15mpg. I also tend to accelerate a little faster than I should too but can’t help it, sounds good and feels like a sports car.
The mpg is not bad at all! I drive about 52 miles to and from work each day. I drive I-83 from Harrisburg to York and back. I-83 is all hills and the going speed is 80 mph. Those people are crazy! I'll see how I do. It'll be interesting. I do hope I get close to 21 mpg though.

Thanks for the reply!

Longhorn

Reaction score
In my truck (equipped with both the ORG and air suspension), the ride is very good at all times. You feel the small/choppy bumps of a torn-up road, but they are muted and the truck handles them quietly. What I find most impressive is the way the truck handles the large dips/bumps, e.g. a rough rail crossing or major dip in the road. It just soaks them up. I have to believe the credit here is due to the air suspension absorbing that impact beautifully.

Speedy noticed that you have both the ORG and the air suspension. I am looking at getting a truck equipped with both features as well, just not sure if one cancels the other out. The air suspension is cool but I see increased maintenance costs in the future. I like the ORG because all that it comes with. Are you still happy with both? Do you regret getting either one of those features?

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Speedy noticed that you have both the ORG and the air suspension. I am looking at getting a truck equipped with both features as well, just not sure if one cancels the other out. The air suspension is cool but I see increased maintenance costs in the future. I like the ORG because all that it comes with. Are you still happy with both? Do you regret getting either one of those features?
Pleased with both. I like all of the ORG features - raised stance, skid plates, E-locker, HD shocks, Falkens, hill descent control, even the stickers. I have yet to really put some of those features to the test, but I’m coming from a 3/4-ton and like my truck to feel...well, like a truck. The air suspension complements the ORG well, in my opinion, as it absorbs big impacts beautifully while giving me the convenience of 4 levels of height adjustment and automatic leveling. I believe I’d opt for both again.

The_Chemist

Reaction score
I've had my truck since October 23 or there abouts. I have both the org and air suspension. No regrets here either. The two compliment each other very well.

The truck handles so very well with the air suspension and off road group. I mainly keep it in 2wd. You really have to go out of your way to even break the rear end loose. It has phenomenal traction as well as ride quality.

RAM really designed the 2 packages to compliment each other. They work in harmony.

My truck actually rides MUCH better than top tier luxury vehicles. I can go anywhere, including off road if I need to and I love the glued to the road traction even in 2wd. As a bonus, you get a Mercedes S class interior.

You won't regret ordering both packages.

Longhorn

Reaction score
I've had my truck since October 23 or there abouts. I have both the org and air suspension. No regrets here either. The two compliment each other very well.

The truck handles so very well with the air suspension and off road group. I mainly keep it in 2wd. You really have to go out of your way to even break the rear end loose. It has phenomenal traction as well as ride quality.

RAM really designed the 2 packages to compliment each other. They work in harmony.

My truck actually rides MUCH better than top tier luxury vehicles. I can go anywhere, including off road if I need to and I love the glued to the road traction even in 2wd. As a bonus, you get a Mercedes S class interior.

The_chemist you have your truck configured exactly how I want mine with one minor exception I would like the ivory two tone with walnut lower. You have a beautiful truck. Have you had any issues with it?

The_Chemist

Reaction score
The_chemist you have your truck configured exactly how I want mine with one minor exception I would like the ivory two tone with walnut lower. You have a beautiful truck. Have you had any issues with it?
For the most part, it's an awesome truck. The design is world-class. You won't find a better truck from any other manufacturer. But....., the assembly quality in my truck is sloppy. I think the assembly line workers just don't give a ____! I have a noise in the dash like a loose bolt rolling around and the pano sunroof headliner makes noises - some other owners say their pano headliners make noises as well. I've tracked that down to the industrial Velcro fasteners. I have succeeded in quieting it, but not totally eliminating it yet. Just need the available time. Kind of tics me off with a window sticker literally just a few dollars shy of $70,000. I wanted the natural wood, black and saddle interior. It cost me more than a similarly equipped Limited, but I didn't want a totally black or indigo interior.

I made a video of the noise that the dash makes. I'll post a link here for you to view. I don't want the dealer personnel tearing my beautiful leather dash apart, so I may just have to live with that noise. Another forum member here thinks that particular noise could also be bad cab mounts transmitting up through the metal and sounding like it is coming from the dash. I may let the service manager at Freedom listen and see what he thinks.

All in all, you just can't buy a better truck. You'll be very happy with it. Don't second guess yourself.. Purchase and enjoy it.

Longhorn

Reaction score
For the most part, it's an awesome truck. The design is world-class. You won't find a better truck from any other manufacturer. But....., the assembly quality in my truck is sloppy. I think the assembly line workers just don't give a ____! I have a noise in the dash like a loose bolt rolling around and the pano sunroof headliner makes noises - some other owners say their pano headliners make noises as well. I've tracked that down to the industrial Velcro fasteners. I have succeeded in quieting it, but not totally eliminating it yet. Just need the available time. Kind of tics me off with a window sticker literally just a few dollars shy of $70,000. I wanted the natural wood, black and saddle interior. It cost me more than a similarly equipped Limited, but I didn't want a totally black or indigo interior.

I made a video of the noise that the dash makes. I'll post a link here for you to view. I don't want the dealer personnel tearing my beautiful leather dash apart, so I may just have to live with that noise. Another forum member here thinks that particular noise could also be bad cab mounts transmitting up through the metal and sounding like it is coming from the dash. I may let the service manager at Freedom listen and see what he thinks.

All in all, you just can't buy a better truck. You'll be very happy with it. Don't second guess yourself.. Purchase and enjoy it.

yup that sound on start/stop would be annoying as hell.... and unexpected for price tag. I have to agree though the black/saddle interior can't be beat I love it, and yes it does cost more for the longhorn similarly equipped to the limited not sure why. hopefully your able to get it fixed.

Ramit392

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Wanted the OR tires, hill descent control, HD shocks, and skid plates. Great value for the price. In hindsight I probably would not have ordered it since sales rep claimed the 1" increase was only a setting on the air suspension, i.e. not permanent. Not a deal breaker but now I'm trying to figure out how to get into the airport parking garage.

So with the one inch higher ORG would that one inch be only higher the off road positions or one inch higher in all modes to include exit/entry mode?

Last edited:

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So with the one inch higher ORG would that one inch be only higher the off road positions or one inch higher in all modes to include exit/entry mode?

E/E and OR (highest position) are the same but Aero and Normal are 1" higher than non ORP.

The_Chemist

Reaction score
@Longhorn: I'll link a video for you below done by Sofyan Bey of Redlibe Reviews. In the video he tests a black 2019 Laramie Longhorn with the off road package and air suspension. The black truck has the black and new saddle interior which I have and you are interested in.

He goes into detail about ride quality. I must have watched this video 100 times before I ordered my truck.

I was out this morning after Mass to do some grocery shopping. Just the 10 or so mile drive this morning reaffirmed how much I enjoy the ride, handling and quietness of the truck. You won't be sorry if you purchase it!

You can skip ahead to where Sofyan is standing outside the Longhorn holding the key fob. That'll be the start of the review...

UniHorn

Reaction score
Does anyone know how the 1” lift is achieved when choosing the off road package? Without air. I’m wondering if it is simply a spacer similar to what a leveling kit would do or if it’s more like the adjustable bilstiens where the actual shock is longer to achieve the lift???

Electrical

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Does anyone know how the 1” lift is achieved when choosing the off road package? Without air. I’m wondering if it is simply a spacer similar to what a leveling kit would do or if it’s more like the adjustable bilstiens where the actual shock is longer to achieve the lift???

Oops n/m. You said without air.

Attachments

• 2019-01-01 20_17_03-Ram Order Notes.docx - Microsoft Word non-commercial use.png
    2019-01-01 20_17_03-Ram Order Notes.docx - Microsoft Word non-commercial use.png
    341.6 KB · Views: 41

Users who are viewing this thread