5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

REV vs Ramcharger - who would buy a REV?

nc_beagle

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So, with a REV, could I plug it into the 50amp hookup at a campground? My camper would be using the 30amp. I'm a long ways from wanting or getting one, but the way we use the camper right now, it would probably work for us. We aren't taking it terribly far from home.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
So, with a REV, could I plug it into the 50amp hookup at a campground? My camper would be using the 30amp. I'm a long ways from wanting or getting one, but the way we use the camper right now, it would probably work for us. We aren't taking it terribly far from home.
You could with the right adapter

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Once?
Dealerships don't even give you a full tank of gas anymore, you thinking your getting a full charge and tank on a drive away?
I bet it will have 25% EV charge and no fuel ever added LOL
I got a full 33 gal. tank from MD. Never had to ask.

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I *think* it's in Europe, not here in the US.

And as my grandmother used to say, that is why there's chocolate and vanilla...

No idea what "th" is supposed to mean.

Have you met my friend, Mister Physics? He told me that HP and Watts are just different units to describe the same thing. They are both units that quantify Power. And he said that a generator cannot produce more power than the power that is put in to spin it.

So, if the HP of the ICE were only, say 100 HP, then the generator could not output the full 130kW that is claimed. And, of course, in reality, the generator is not 100% efficient. So, if the ICE only puts out 174HP/130kW, then the generator still won't be able to put out a full 130kW.

In other words, the HP of the ICE is ABSO-farkin-LUTELY relevant. It is a hard limit on how much juice the generator can produce, which determines all kinds of things, like how quickly the battery can be recharged while driving, for example. How quickly the battery can recover from a long, hard pull up a hill. How hard the truck can accelerate if the battery is depleted. Etc.
Pentastar V6 is 305 HP.

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Pentastar V6 is 305 HP.

Are you saying that the Ramcharger ICE will have the exact same compression, cams, valves, ignition timing, air intake, and fuel injection mapping as the Pentastar motor they put in the current RAM 1500?

arod412

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Are you saying that the Ramcharger ICE will have the exact same compression, cams, valves, ignition timing, air intake, and fuel injection mapping as the Pentastar motor they put in the current RAM 1500?
The info I see is that it should be the same pentastar engine. Different is that it's solely used as a generator so there wouldn't be a load on the engine because it's not connected to anything.

2022 Ram Big Horn Back Country
2016 Dodge Charger scat pack
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The info I see is that it should be the same pentastar engine. Different is that it's solely used as a generator so there wouldn't be a load on the engine because it's not connected to anything.

The generator is a load, and the amount of load would depend on the demand of electricity needed

arod412

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The generator is a load, and the amount of load would depend on the demand of electricity needed
Correct....in a way. If your talking about electricity, yes...but not like if your pressing on the throttle and it revs that engine for more power.

The load I'm talking about is that it's not connected to anything...like transmission, rear drive shaft, front diff, or anything like that. Without those connected, your not working the engine as hard.

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Which 3.6L Pentastar is it?

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Correct....in a way. If your talking about electricity, yes...but not like if your pressing on the throttle and it revs that engine for more power.

The load I'm talking about is that it's not connected to anything...like transmission, rear drive shaft, front diff, or anything like that. Without those connected, your not working the engine as hard.

Actually he's correct in every way. A generator with electrical demand can be a pretty hefty load. Elecrtro-mechanical forces are very powerful. Try opening a door which is magnetically locked. It ain't happenin'.

arod412

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Actually he's correct in every way. A generator with electrical demand can be a pretty hefty load. Elecrtro-mechanical forces are very powerful. Try opening a door which is magnetically locked. It ain't happenin'.
Agree to disagree. Your comparing apples to oranges. Based by your situation, not all locks are the same. Just remember, this is a electric truck. It will need to have some charge before the engine kicks in.

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Agree to disagree. Your comparing apples to oranges. Based by your situation, not all locks are the same. Just remember, this is a electric truck. It will need to have some charge before the engine kicks in.

The engine doesn't know whether the load it's working against is a generator or a transmission.

If it were all 100% efficient, the engine would have to make 170HP to spin the generator fast enough to produce 130kW. And it's not 100% efficient, so the engine will have to actually make a decent amount more than 170HP.

That is a pretty hefty load (which the engine can't tell the difference between that and pulling a heavy trailer up a hill that also requires 170+ HP output).

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score

If it's the size of generator the information claims, it can be a good load on the engine when demand is high, and won't have the luxury of a transmission to lesson the load with gear reduction. And even a normal drivetrain, the load on engine is very low when cruising.

arod412

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If it's the size of generator the information claims, it can be a good load on the engine when demand is high, and won't have the luxury of a transmission to lesson the load with gear reduction. And even a normal drivetrain, the load on engine is very low when cruising.
Maybe there is some confusion on your end or I'm not explaining it very well. Engine output will not change...increase or decrease. It's already predetermined.

Power will always come from the battery status that drives the motors in the front and back. Engine has no imput on how much power its putting out of the truck. Any engine power will just go right to the battery. Battery is the one that puts out what it needs. That is the information that I have read.

Last edited:

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score

Disagree all you want. Not sure what you're arguing with the last two sentences. I never said anything about the batteries not having any charge. And to be clear, the generator can provide additional power directly to the motors.

arod412

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Which 3.6L Pentastar is it?

Good question and I'm not sure. Right now the current 3.6 puts out like 275hp ish ( roughly 205kw) power...I can't imagine them having a different engine from the one they currently use for the tradesman.

Without an alternator or etorque curious to know how much power the 3.6 puts out. Ramcharger is listed as 130kw power generator...but it's a decent difference.

More importantly, I would love to know what parameters they will set in the tune to kick the engine on and off.

Users who are viewing this thread