5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

REV vs Ramcharger - who would buy a REV?

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Just like anything else take proper care of your vehicle and there isn't an issue with lens clouding or turning yellow. The "stylized" plastic lens and socket design was easier and cheaper for the end user to replace when a bulb goes out, and easier to aim vs a sealed beam lens.

Modern LED headlight assemblies are basically "sealed beam" headlights again since they make them so you can't replace just he LED and have to replace the entire headlight. And put out a ton more light.
Which is the reason why we see people on the forums with a single bad led board on a Limited and a $1700 quote to replace a light...

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Which is the reason why we see people on the forums with a single bad led board on a Limited and a $1700 quote to replace a light...
Yep, not saying I like the fact that we have to replace the entire housing. It it's basically the same "sealed beam" concept.

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I mostly agree, but from a slightly different angle. IMO all the problems with headlights were solved a half century ago with the invention of the incandescent sealed beam, and the halogen versions seem to be the ultimate and final version of that. But then makers decided to let their designers use stylized plastic lens and socket arrangements that get yellow and cloudy after a few years, and I think those pretty much suck.

So LED's have great potential, being more efficient producers of light, though reliability may be questionable due to the built in voltage conversion circuitry. What I'd like to see is for all vehicles to come with sealed beam halogens and let dealer or owner swap plug-n-play LED replacements as desired.
I apply wax or sealant to my lights every few months, has kept mine clear for as long as I keep a vehicle 5-10 years. I also have done PPF on lights, usually lasts 4-5 years before you notice any fading and then you can change out the PPF.

Pertzbro

Reaction score
1985 Toyota Corolla - daily driver from new to 2006, "stored" in back yard awaiting oldest son to drive, plan didn't work. Eventually on June 27th 2020 gave away to a mechanic who wanted to restore. Motor started right up for him. Great car, 5 speed rear wheel drive, easy to work on, had it "zeibarted" - didn't work, but still restorable.
Took great care of the car for many years and than life got in the way. Last I heard he had put a different engine in it.
January will be 23 years with my 2001 Dodge Ram, not a daily driver for the most part after 2006, 86,000 miles.
93 year old mother in law still has her 2003 Gran Marquis 75,000 miles. Father passed away at age 89 in 2019 owning his 1996 Crown Vic.
Both mother in law and father are/were very happy with the cars as was I with my 1985 Toyota Corolla SR5.

Should have bought the GTS
None of those are daily drivers except maybe grandma...

costaricarams

Reaction score
Guys. I wanted advice on ever considering any type of electric truck. I have done the math here in Costa Rica in regard to charging costs at the public power company's available stations in the network they currently have. They bill $0.35 per minute of charge. So I decided NOT to get an EV truck.
For our next in-city quick errand cars, my wife and I decided on a couple of Nissan X-Trail Epower suv's which ALSO have a gas-powered generator and break power generation.
So, if I'm understanding correctly, the Ramcharger will recharge batteries the same way??? That would completely change my mind about my next purchase come 2025!

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Guys. I wanted advice on ever considering any type of electric truck. I have done the math here in Costa Rica in regard to charging costs at the public power company's available stations in the network they currently have. They bill $0.35 per minute of charge. So I decided NOT to get an EV truck.
For our next in-city quick errand cars, my wife and I decided on a couple of Nissan X-Trail Epower suv's which ALSO have a gas-powered generator and break power generation.
So, if I'm understanding correctly, the Ramcharger will recharge batteries the same way??? That would completely change my mind about my next purchase come 2025!

The Ramcharger is very similar to the X-Trail - except the X-Trail has a 2.1kWh battery. The Ramcharger has a 92kWh battery. The Ramcharger can be driven (a claimed) 145 miles just on battery alone.

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I didn't know of the Nissan X-Trail.

To me, it just adds a little reassurance that the Ramcharger will not be a complete disaster.

Knowing that Stellantis is not the first manufacturer to build a vehicle with this type of powertrain - and that others have been doing it for a number of years - just adds to my confidence that Stellantis can get it more or less "right" on the first go.

I will wait for the 2nd or 3rd year, but I don't think I'll feel a need to wait until after the first major revision (i.e. 4 or 5 years in, presumably).

Last edited:

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Honestly, if you don't have the ability to charge at home, EVs really aren't worth it, IMO.

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I said EV, not talking about the Ramcharger

Ah. My bad.

My boss has a Tesla. Lives in a building in DC. Drives to work in Maryland.

Can't charge at home 'cause it's just a parking garage or the street.

Multiple chargers at the office. He plugs in there to keep his car charged.

He won't stop talking about how awesome Tesla is and everyone should get one. Even though he can't charge at home.

Pertzbro

Reaction score
Stellantis is likely pulling tech/experience from Europe. Peugeot has alot of hybrid tech

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I was thinking that too, but he might be able to if he lets the truck idle with it on, and tops off the tank with a portable tank after it finishes charging.

From what I've read and what the Ramcharger engineer said in that interview, I have a suspicion that there will be a mode you can put it in where you can be driving and it will charge the battery to full as you are driving. You could then top up with gas.

In other words, more options than just letting the truck idle. I mean, if it will top up the battery while idling, why not while driving, too?

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
In other words, even if I didn't live somewhere where I could plug in ever, I could still see myself buying a Ramcharger over a Hurricane-based truck - when it's time to replace my EcoDiesel.

But yeah, being able to plug in at home would surely be the goal.

zezrum

Reaction score
In other words, more options than just letting the truck idle. I mean, if it will top up the battery while idling, why not while driving, too?
When you're driving you're using kW to propel the vehicle. The generator would have to produce more kW than you're consuming by driving.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
When you're driving you're using kW to propel the vehicle. The generator would have to produce more kW than you're consuming by driving.
In hilly terrain you could be right but that's likely dependent on the terrain you're driving. On level ground you need very little power to keep the truck at a steady speed. Hence the advent of multiple displacement technology. I can see plenty of scenarios where the generator would surpass the power needed to keep the truck moving, with the excess being sent to charge the battery.

Users who are viewing this thread