5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

REV vs Ramcharger - who would buy a REV?

CUOFFRD

Reaction score
I think initially Ram will take a hit to get people to buy it just as other manufacturers have done. It’s still a ways out and the market could shift before then.

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Since we keep rehashing the same discussion about pricing, I'll reiterate what we do know as my last post on the topic:
  • The battery pack costs somewhere in the vicinity of $9k to manufacture, given the current industry price of approximately $100/kWh.
  • Presuming the EV motors are approximately the same cost as Tesla's EV motors, they're somewhere in the ballpark of $2000-3000 apiece.
  • All the wiring + electronics for the EV drivetrain are probably another $1000-2000 as a total WAG.
That adds up to probably somewhere in the ballpark of $15-17k more than an ICE 1500 with the Pentastar. Subtract the transmission and all the other ICE components that aren't necessary, which is a WAG of $5-10k (if anyone has more detailed CTM figures for those other components, I'd love to hear them!), and you're likely somewhere in the same zip code as a $7-10k upcharge for Ram to manufacture the Ramcharger over an ICE model with the same Pentastar.

That's just the cost to manufacture, not the retail cost; nor does it include overhead and sunk costs specifically for the Ramcharger and REV models.

On top of that, Ram is likely to position it as a step up from the Hemi, not a direct step up from the Pentastar despite using the same engine. Presuming Ram isn't planning on taking a margin hit, I'd expect this to come in at somewhere around a $15k upcharge over the equivalent ICE model.

At the end of the day, this is just a very slightly educated guess that definitely leans towards the WAG end of the spectrum. We don't know the BOM, we don't know the loaded CTM, and we don't know Ram's pricing strategy.
Looks to me like we still don't know. And, we wont know till it hits the showroom. So, lets shoot this horse and find another topic to blow up. Remember, leave all weapons at home.

jl13

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I mean, It's obviously not going to be positioned as a step up from the normal V6 drivetrain. It's not even in the same playing field performance wise. I'd imagine it will base out mid-level from pricing. No way it will ever be Tradesman pricing, but also not going to be TRX level. I'd expect $60-$70k if they want it to sell. Which is inline with many of the current Hemi optioned trucks
I wish and would be fine at that price point but i am not that optimistic. I honestly think it will be closer to 80k.
But we'll just have to wait and see

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
I wish and would be fine at that price point but i am not that optimistic. I honestly think it will be closer to 80k.
But we'll just have to wait and see
I think so too, or more

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I predict MSRP will be in the current TRX price range if you get one in the new Tungsten trim level. Hell, a fully loaded Limited right now has an MSRP of $79k. Add in the extra $10k for the Ramcharger goodies and you're not far from a TRX. We have no idea yet how much more the Tungsten trim level will be. I'm guessing it will start at least $5k above a base Limited. Only time will tell. I hope I'm wrong because the Ramcharger really appeals to me. I'd want it in at least Limited trim though since I wouldn't want to trade down :D

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I predict MSRP will be in the current TRX price range if you get one in the new Tungsten trim level. Hell, a fully loaded Limited right now has an MSRP of $79k. Add in the extra $10k for the Ramcharger goodies and you're not far from a TRX. We have no idea yet how much more the Tungsten trim level will be. I'm guessing it will start at least $5k above a base Limited. Only time will tell. I hope I'm wrong because the Ramcharger really appeals to me. I'd want it in at least Limited trim though since I wouldn't want to trade down :D
I don't see the Ramcharger having different "trim" levels. It will be its own trim ..

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
When I got my Limited back in 2022 MSRP raised up to over 80k for it.

I believe a fully loaded Limited's MSRP is 87k from the window stickers ive seen lately.

I do suspect this to be in the TRX price range

I don't see the Ramcharger having different "trim" levels. It will be its own trim ..
It's not a trim, it's a differnet model line of truck.
It might have different trim levels, likely remove standard features to force up-charges.

Would be really dumb on Ram's part to only offer an fully optioned trim for it and nothing else. Will amount to less total sales and profit.

jimothy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Would be really dumb on Ram's part to only offer an fully optioned trim for it and nothing else. Will amount to less total sales and profit.
This gallery of photos released by Ram shows at least three different trims. One of them is the new Tungsten trim, and another appears to be a Tradesman.

So the RamCharger should run the gamut. I expect it to start under $60K. I think Ram wants to put people in these things to improve their CAFE numbers and image.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
This gallery of photos released by Ram shows at least three different trims. One of them is the new Tungsten trim, and another appears to be a Tradesman.

So the RamCharger should run the gamut. I expect it to start under $60K. I think Ram wants to put people in these things to improve their CAFE numbers and image.
Some of those pictures also have the word Limited on the center stack too.
So looks to be like the others.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score

Interesting. Hadn't seen that before.

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score

I read somewhere that the Ramcharger will be offered in all trim levels. I mean, it's just a drive train, so why wouldn't it be? Haven't they offered the Hemi and EcoDiesel in every trim level?

But, as I'm too lazy to go back and look for citations, you can just take that as hearsay.

It seems to me that the people who buy the Tradesman trucks may very well (many of them) being using them for things that do not involve driving more than 145 miles a day. Some of them might even legitimately justify the extra cost just based on never buying gas and plugging their work truck(s) in every night.

Davidbt

Reaction score
Having a 7,000 pound camper to tow, hauling is my focus with my truck. I get 20-24mpg towing it. The Ramcharger is close, I like the idea. It’s smart and sets a new standard for electric vehicles. I want to see how it performs. I want to see a Car and Driver test to intentionally deplete the battery in some form of stress test while towing 10,000 pounds and how the truck reacts. Will it force you to stop to charge?

Im good with my ED for the next 8 years or so. Honestly I’m only going larger in my camping world so my next truck will probably be a dually.
So you're getting 20-24 mpgs towing a 7,000lb travel trailer with your ED?

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I read somewhere that the Ramcharger will be offered in all trim levels. I mean, it's just a drive train, so why wouldn't it be? Haven't they offered the Hemi and EcoDiesel in every trim level?

But, as I'm too lazy to go back and look for citations, you can just take that as hearsay.

It seems to me that the people who buy the Tradesman trucks may very well (many of them) being using them for things that do not involve driving more than 145 miles a day. Some of them might even legitimately justify the extra cost just based on never buying gas and plugging their work truck(s) in every night.
Everything is speculation at this point, as manufacturers change their minds all the time.
Employers that use pickups all the time, construction companies with field supervision, and similar companies, may very well buy these as an alternative, as it makes good sense for them. Even if they drive above the 145 mark, it might be well worth it. But, we and the manufacturer will just have to wait and see.
The only constant in life is change.

Grape_Ape

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My predictions are that it'll be about $6000 more than the prices we're seeing now. So roughly about 72k for a well equipped big horn compared to 66k MSRP on one right now. Factor in manufacturer incentives and the federal tax credit for PHEVs and EVs and it probably won't be much more expensive to begin with.

IMG_2819.jpeg IMG_2820.jpeg

Grape_Ape

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Well you can make the case that we're already there. It's not so bad if you already have a truck to trade in/sell. If you're getting your first truck and a well equipped big horn is almost 70k that's a big ask for your typical middle American but I digress.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Well you can make the case that we're already there. It's not so bad if you already have a truck to trade in/sell. If you're getting your first truck and a well equipped big horn is almost 70k that's a big ask for your typical middle American but I digress.
You’re right we’re already there. The economy is in the crapper

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
My fully loaded Limited cost me 66k back in 2022...
No way in hell I would get a Bighorn for 70k that's crazy.

Grape_Ape

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My fully loaded Limited cost me 66k back in 2022...
No way in hell I would get a Bighorn for 70k that's crazy.
I was just going off MSRPs. I can find Limiteds locally for 58k but msrp of 73k for example on the "cheap" end. The big horns I mentioned had MSRPs ranging from 48k to 66k per cars.com with no fancy additions. So I was just working off a decked out big horn with the new powertrain to figure around 70-73k msrp on that as a prediction.

Users who are viewing this thread