5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

REV vs Ramcharger - who would buy a REV?

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
These are the battery replacement costs for a tesla. It's a range and depends on the car. Using this as a PREDICTION of what it will cost to replace the charger battery is perfectly logical.
On the other hand, having a published PDS of an oil, by the guy who designed that oil, showing a measurement of alumimum in the moly, and then having you say "my research" is completely laughable and arrogant. The fact that you can't see the difference in these scenarios just shows how big your mouth is, it's clouding your vision.

So because you decided to post a link that backs up what I said about replacement cost of the batteries, it's correct? But mine wasn't? Funny. Talk about a mouth clouding your vision. there is no difference in the scenarios. A CEO said what their product was. You believe one, but not the other, but I can't do the same.

Again your lack of logic is showing. The issue wasn't the fact that you listed ONE reason being macho, it's the fact that you globally categorized all reasons for prefering a v8 as being either macho or wanting to stuff it to the govt. In other words, your argument was saying "these are the only reasons". That's a very stupid, arrogant, and objectively wrong thing to say. Since I know you know better, the only reason you'd say that is to stir up sh|t basically turning your posts into flamebait/trolling

Sure thing. Must have worked. Look at you all worked up over it
We know because of the cost of materials, the complicated system, the pricing of other EVs relative to what this truck looks like etc. We know that replacement batteries are another 10k to 20k which needs to be factored into total cost of ownership.

Go to ram truck and build and price a tradesman hemi, $39,500. This Ram charger will be at least 55 to 60k. You know it, I know it. And that doesn't include replacement battery so add another 10 to 20k.
So you magically know the manufacturing cost of a vehicle they isn't even in production yet? Are you pricy to inside documents about material costs nobody else has access to?

As far as comparing it to a Tradesman, do you own a Tradesman? I don't actually know anyone that has one that isn't a fleet vehicle in use by a company. It's not meant to be a comparison to the Tradesman. Shoot if it costs $55-60, I'll even go as high as $65k, that's comparable to probably 90% of the trucks on this forum. That's where your comparison for price should be. Not a no option, entry level model. But hey, you do you.

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
So because you decided to post a link that backs up what I said about replacement cost of the batteries, it's correct? But mine wasn't? Funny. Talk about a mouth clouding your vision. there is no difference in the scenarios. A CEO said what their product was. You believe one, but not the other, but I can't do the same.

The CEO of Tesla is not making absolute claims (marketing or engineering) to what the Ram charger battery replacement will cost. Neither do we have third party reports detailing the costs. So making a prediction for Ram's battery, based on other real world competitive costs is a valid and logical prediction.

On the other hand, we have a very simple PDS showing aluminum in moly, from the guy who designed the product, taking time to explicitly write in the same post: "I know you guys are going to ask about the aluminum, here is the reason". Yet you in your infinite wisdom and arrogance just wave it off, because you absolutely know better than him. You "did your research", you clever little boy you.

Sure thing. Must have worked. Look at you all worked up over it

So you magically know the manufacturing cost of a vehicle they isn't even in production yet? Are you pricy to inside documents about material costs nobody else has access to?

You keep on asking questions I've told you the answers to, its not any different this time around. EVs cost what they cost, and they're all far more expensive than their ICE counterparts. Batteries are horribly expensive and you can try to hand wave that away all you like but you're not even convincing yourself. Remember, I know you're a clever little boy, you don't actually believe this charger is going to come cheap, it's just an argument that you refuse to "lose".

As far as comparing it to a Tradesman, do you own a Tradesman? I don't actually know anyone that has one that isn't a fleet vehicle in use by a company.

Guess my brother just drives a figment of his imagination. Tradesmans and BigHorns are extremely popular trims here.

It's not meant to be a comparison to the Tradesman. Shoot if it costs $55-60, I'll even go as high as $65k, that's comparable to probably 90% of the trucks on this forum. That's where your comparison for price should be. Not a no option, entry level model. But hey, you do you.

You don't actually think you're getting into a charger laramie for the same price as a 2023 hemi laramie. You know it, I know it.

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I just want to say:

- There is a lot of speculation being thrown out on costs that is not supported by any documentation I've seen. A Ramcharger will cost $20,000 more than the same truck with a Hurricane SO? Please post a link to support that.

- A Tesla battery module will cost $5K? Is that fact or what has been claimed (even if it was claimed by Elon himself, it's still just a claim. He's "claimed" a lot of things)? And the cost of a single replacement module seems irrelevant. What was being discussed was the cost when the whole battery pack is so "worn out" that the whole thing needs to be replaced. That is not comparable to replacing one bad battery module in a Tesla.

Also:
If we get a EV truck with similar performance, 600 mile range unloaded/300 mile range loaded and with let's say 75% battery charge in 30 mins - I think you've got a winner. But we are a ways away from that.

Charge time is the key. And not charge time to 75%, I don't think. If the range is 300 miles towing, and you're running it down to 5% then charging to 75%, that means you are only actually driving 210 miles at a stretch. For me, that would mean drive for 3 hours then stop for long enough to spend 30 minutes actually hooked up to a charger. So, at least 40 minutes off the road, and that's if you immediately find a high-speed charger that is available, working, and that you can actually use while still having your trailer hooked up.

Not even something I would consider for a moment. Just, no way.

It is reported somewhere that it will get 20mpg with the gas generator running, so if that estimated mpg is on the full tank and charge that's means if you don't plug it in and just use this as the hybrid it is then you would get around 15-16 mpg not plugging in, and only 20 mpg when used on a full charge to start with.

The 20 mpg could be based upon already having a full charge that if you don't plug in it ever it would never be at.
145 miles is terrible on a full charge so this is obviously designed with the mind set of using gas also ie being a hybrid which is fine but I question the efficiency of it.

I still have no idea where you are getting this.

145 miles on electric. 690 miles total. 27 gallon gas tank.

That is 20.2 MPG when using just gas and not charging while driving.

What it is "obviously" designed with is a mind set of plugging in at night and driving on electric for all your around town driving, but still being able to drive as far in a day as you want by using gas.

Charging while driving and then using the stored electricity to drive further is obviously (based on actual science) not going to be as efficient as driving while not charging and just using the gas to generate the electricity that directly drives the motors... which gives you *gasp* 20.2 MPG. (under the test conditions they've chosen to use for that metric)

I can say for sure the Ramcharger is going to be more expensive to maintain for sure due to the price of batteries and the fact they are going to be stressed more then a typical EV due to the fact they are almost always going to be charging.

Can you please share your spreadsheet that shows all the oil changes, etc. plus the cost of an engine, generator, transmission, battery pack, transfer case, torque converter, and differentials that you used to determine the total cost of maintenance of a Hemi w/eTorque?

And then the spreadsheet showing the cost of maintenance of a Ramcharger?

I'd really like to see all those numbers.

And also explain why the Ramcharger battery is going to be more stressed than a typical EV? Also, how do you know the details on the charging strategies that are implemented in the Ramcharger? Do you have an inside line to the powertrain engineers?

If it is driven on electric only, then they will be charged only when the vehicle is plugged in. If it's driven on gas only, they will never be charged.

The battey is bigger than most EVs. It has way more range than a Prius. Doesn't that suggest its battery will be less stressed that the batteries in, for example, a Prius? How often does a Prius pack need to be replaced?

There is going to be verbiage in the 8 year warranty that states that decreased battery life is not covered so unless the entire pack goes good luck getting it replaced under warranty so plan on spending money at the 10 year mark of ownership, or plan on selling (junking) the truck by then

Can you please post a link to your source for that info?

Just had a busy have to replace his Hemi in his 2017 Rebel. Cost was $5k. Seems pretty comparable to a battery module replacement in a Tesla. And you don't have to replace the entire battery pack, just the bad module.

Irrelevant. Replacing a Hemi is more comparable to replacing the motors and all battery modules in a Tesla, isn't it? Actually, that's not good, either. All the modules in a Tesla plus its electric motors would be like replacing a Hemi and it's tranny, torque converter, transfer case, and diffs.

Maybe just the Hemi is comparable to just replacing ALL the battery modules in a Hemi.

Except also cost $20k more, be more complicated/costly to maintain etc etc.

Source for the info that a Ramcharger will cost $20K more than the same RAM and trim?

And can you please share your spreadsheet (or whatever you have) that shows a Ramcharger is more costly to maintain?

Saying it is more complicated definitely does not pass the sniff test.

On the one hand, you have a Hemi (with exhaust leaks every 40 - 50K miles, I might add), a generator, an eTorque battery pack, transmission, transfer case, torque converter, differentials, and auto-locking hubs.

On the other hand, you have a Pentastar (notably lower cost and cost of ownership), a generator, a battery pack, 2 electric motors, and....?

Just because it's new doesn't mean it is more complicated. It seems substantially LESS complicated, to me. They took a huge amount of the "complicated" and put it all in a black box labeled "computer".

And when your battery dies at 10 years and needs to be replaced, welcome to another $10,000 to $20,000 invoice.

Maybe. And maybe the battery will last 20 years. And how much will you save on gas, oil changes, transmission service and repairs, differential service and repairs, transfer case service and repairs, and so forth in the meantime?

And how much is all the extra performance you have during that whole time worth? You're getting TRX-like performance. What if they charged a TRX-like price and then warrantied your battery for 10 years? Would you be happy then?

Personally, I don't ever plan to keep another vehicle more than 5 years (roughly) again. I drove my '09 RAM 1500 for 10 years and 193K miles and learned my lesson. I can pay a little every month, and always have a fairly new vehicle. Or I can pay a little for 5 years, pay nothing for some number of years (all while driving an old truck), and then pay a big chunk when I finally do get a new one.

So, I personally am not too concerned with battery replacement costs. As long as they last long enough to not kill resale value at the 5 year mark (which I am fairly confident will not be the case).

The naysayers are spreading a SERIOUS amount of FUD here and not posting any sources of facts to support what they are saying.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I just want to say:

- There is a lot of speculation being thrown out on costs that is not supported by any documentation I've seen. A Ramcharger will cost $20,000 more than the same truck with a Hurricane SO? Please post a link to support that.

- A Tesla battery module will cost $5K? Is that fact or what has been claimed (even if it was claimed by Elon himself, it's still just a claim. He's "claimed" a lot of things)? And the cost of a single replacement module seems irrelevant. What was being discussed was the cost when the whole battery pack is so "worn out" that the whole thing needs to be replaced. That is not comparable to replacing one bad battery module in a Tesla.

Also:

Charge time is the key. And not charge time to 75%, I don't think. If the range is 300 miles towing, and you're running it down to 5% then charging to 75%, that means you are only actually driving 210 miles at a stretch. For me, that would mean drive for 3 hours then stop for long enough to spend 30 minutes actually hooked up to a charger. So, at least 40 minutes off the road, and that's if you immediately find a high-speed charger that is available, working, and that you can actually use while still having your trailer hooked up.

What it is "obviously" designed with is a mind set of plugging in at night and driving on electric for all your around town driving, but still being able to drive as far in a day as you want by using gas.

Charging while driving and then using the stored electricity to drive further is obviously (based on actual science) not going to be as efficient as driving while not charging and just using the gas to generate the electricity that directly drives the motors... which gives you *gasp* 20.2 MPG. (under the test conditions they've chosen to use for that metric)

Can you please share your spreadsheet that shows all the oil changes, etc. plus the cost of an engine, generator, transmission, battery pack, transfer case, torque converter, and differentials that you used to determine the total cost of maintenance of a Hemi w/eTorque?

And also explain why the Ramcharger battery is going to be more stressed than a typical EV? Also, how do you know the details on the charging strategies that are implemented in the Ramcharger? Do you have an inside line to the powertrain engineers?

If it is driven on electric only, then they will be charged only when the vehicle is plugged in. If it's driven on gas only, they will never be charged.

The battey is bigger than most EVs. It has way more range than a Prius. Doesn't that suggest its battery will be less stressed that the batteries in, for example, a Prius? How often does a Prius pack need to be replaced?

Irrelevant. Replacing a Hemi is more comparable to replacing the motors and all battery modules in a Tesla, isn't it? Actually, that's not good, either. All the modules in a Tesla plus its electric motors would be like replacing a Hemi and it's tranny, torque converter, transfer case, and diffs.

Maybe just the Hemi is comparable to just replacing ALL the battery modules in a Hemi.

Source for the info that a Ramcharger will cost $20K more than the same RAM and trim?

And can you please share your spreadsheet (or whatever you have) that shows a Ramcharger is more costly to maintain?

On the one hand, you have a Hemi (with exhaust leaks every 40 - 50K miles, I might add), a generator, an eTorque battery pack, transmission, transfer case, torque converter, differentials, and auto-locking hubs.

On the other hand, you have a Pentastar (notably lower cost and cost of ownership), a generator, a battery pack, 2 electric motors, and....?

Just because it's new doesn't mean it is more complicated. It seems substantially LESS complicated, to me. They took a huge amount of the "complicated" and put it all in a black box labeled "computer".

Maybe. And maybe the battery will last 20 years. And how much will you save on gas, oil changes, transmission service and repairs, differential service and repairs, transfer case service and repairs, and so forth in the meantime?

And how much is all the extra performance you have during that whole time worth? You're getting TRX-like performance. What if they charged a TRX-like price and then warrantied your battery for 10 years? Would you be happy then?

Personally, I don't ever plan to keep another vehicle more than 5 years (roughly) again. I drove my '09 RAM 1500 for 10 years and 193K miles and learned my lesson. I can pay a little every month, and always have a fairly new vehicle. Or I can pay a little for 5 years, pay nothing for some number of years (all while driving an old truck), and then pay a big chunk when I finally do get a new one.

So, I personally am not too concerned with battery replacement costs. As long as they last long enough to not kill resale value at the 5 year mark (which I am fairly confident will not be the case).

The naysayers are spreading a SERIOUS amount of FUD here and not posting any sources of facts to support what they are saying.
There is too much wrong to even respond to on this post man....

Like every other line just has incorrect information posted...

It clearly is documented that it will be charging while you drive it by the generator, ie the gas engine. Charging an EV while the battery is getting drained is bad, and the quicker the charge and the more electricity you pull from the battery at once makes it worse. If you don't know that, do some research on how batteries work and degrade.

Just not true as there is no connection to the gas engine to the drive train, so yes you will be charging the battery to drive it while the generator (on gas) is on. This is likely how they are escaping the government's wrath and being allowed to this an EV when it's clearly an hybrid.

You just said it yourself "under the test conditions they've chosen to use for that metric"
Likely the condition for mpg testing is the battery starting out at 100% and the generator kicking off as soon as it loses any charge, thus the lower real mpg if you DON'T start out at a full charge. It might not generate 20mpg, it might be an adjusted 20 mpg on a full tank of gas AND FULL CHARGE.

Someone else can pick apart all the other crap you are trying to say.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I

That's not what was being discussed. The discussion was about the replacement cost of the battery being more than the Hemi engine. So my comment was 100% relevant to the discussion. You can't come in and try and inject a different take and say what was being discussed is irrelevant.

Now, as far as what you said, replacing the Hemi engine would be the equivalent of replacing the batteries on an EV. The batteries are what provide the power to the motors, which then drive the wheels. The motors would be equivalent to the transmission. and the axles connecting the motors to the wheels would be the differential and axles. The Hemi (battery) provides power to the transmission (motors) which then sends the power through the axles to the wheels. see how that works

silver billet

Reaction score
I just want to say:

Also:

There is way too much here for me to be interested in replying to. Let me sum it up like this. There are no spreadsheets listing the cost. We all know that. Our projections are obviously predictions as opposed to figures released directly from Ram, but based on the price of other EVs in the marketplace, batteries are extremely costly. Then you will have to pay for that battery a second time if (like me) you keep your trucks for 20+ years. On top of the battery costs (which are already exorbitant), you have the extra costs of maintaining a regular v6. Of course this double cost (battery + engine) is going to cost you more than maintaining a hemi, we don't need a spreadsheet for this its simple logic.

I'm not against the charger, this would be the truck I purchase if the only other options are pure EVs. But anyone who thinks they're getting into a 2025 charger with a trim similar to a 2023/2024 hemi, for only a few thousand more, are fooling themselves. You can call my projections FUD, and I can call your projections wishful thinking, in the end none of us know with 100% certainty; we have our opinions and we've stated them and people either agree with us or they don't.

This thread has run its course for me, so I'm out.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The CEO of Tesla is not making absolute claims (marketing or engineering) to what the Ram charger battery replacement will cost. Neither do we have third party reports detailing the costs. So making a prediction for Ram's battery, based on other real world competitive costs is a valid and logical prediction.

You were the one who brought up the Tesla when talking about battery replacement costs, not me. Nobody ever said Musk was talking about the cost of the Ramcharger batteries. Just another deflection on your part trying to discredit what was being discussed.
On the other hand, we have a very simple PDS showing aluminum in moly, from the guy who designed the product, taking time to explicitly write in the same post: "I know you guys are going to ask about the aluminum, here is the reason". Yet you in your infinite wisdom and arrogance just wave it off, because you absolutely know better than him. You "did your research", you clever little boy you.

This thread isn't about Redline. Take it back to the other thread if you want to continue on with this topic
You keep on asking questions I've told you the answers to, its not any different this time around. EVs cost what they cost, and they're all far more expensive than their ICE counterparts. Batteries are horribly expensive and you can try to hand wave that away all you like but you're not even convincing yourself. Remember, I know you're a clever little boy, you don't actually believe this charger is going to come cheap, it's just an argument that you refuse to "lose".

You have t given answers, youve given your opinion which isnt based on any accurate facts because the Ramcharger hasn't even been put into production. I believe if RAM wants it to be competitive in the market they need to price it accordingly. It uses a smaller battery pack than pure EVs, so will be cheaper than those. It doesn't have a transmission, driveshaft, or differentials, so the cost of those can be deflected to cover the cost of the battery pack and generator. They are using the Pentastar engine which has already paid itself off from R&D costs, so at this point is cheap to make because they build so many of them. You keep talking about Bighorn trims, Tradesman trims, Limited trims. You don't even know if any of that will be offered with the Ramcharger. It will probably just be it's own trim level with options specific to it.
Guess my brother just drives a figment of his imagination. Tradesmans and BigHorns are extremely popular trims here.
Putting words in my mouth. I said I hardly see any around here that arent fleet vehicle.s. May e in your area they are more popular. That doesn't make my comment wrong. The only people I know buying Tradesman are buying 3/4 ton Tradesman to tow with because they want the HD package at a 1500 Laramie price.

You don't actually think you're getting into a charger laramie for the same price as a 2023 hemi laramie. You know it, I know it.
See above comment about trim levels. You don't even know if there will be trim levels on the Ramcharger. Once again, just making **** up.

silver billet

Reaction score
You were the one who brought up the Tesla when talking about battery replacement costs, not me. Nobody ever said Musk was talking about the cost of the Ramcharger batteries. Just another deflection on your part trying to discredit what was being discussed.

This thread isn't about Redline. Take it back to the other thread if you want to continue on with this topic

You have t given answers, youve given your opinion which isnt based on any accurate facts because the Ramcharger hasn't even been put into production. I believe if RAM wants it to be competitive in the market they need to price it accordingly. It uses a smaller battery pack than pure EVs, so will be cheaper than those. It doesn't have a transmission, driveshaft, or differentials, so the cost of those can be deflected to cover the cost of the battery pack and generator. They are using the Pentastar engine which has already paid itself off from R&D costs, so at this point is cheap to make because they build so many of them. You keep talking about Bighorn trims, Tradesman trims, Limited trims. You don't even know if any of that will be offered with the Ramcharger. It will probably just be it's own trim level with options specific to it.

Putting words in my mouth. I said I hardly see any around here that arent fleet vehicle.s. May e in your area they are more popular. That doesn't make my comment wrong. The only people I know buying Tradesman are buying 3/4 ton Tradesman to tow with because they want the HD package at a 1500 Laramie price.

See above comment about trim levels. You don't even know if there will be trim levels on the Ramcharger. Once again, just making **** up.

Dude, talk to someone who cares cause my ears aren't hearing what you're saying anymore.

Bye now.

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score

It clearly is documented that it will be charging while you drive it by the generator, ie the gas engine. Charging an EV while the battery is getting drained is bad, and the quicker the charge and the more electricity you pull from the battery at once makes it worse. If you don't know that, do some research on how batteries work and degrade.

Just not true as there is no connection to the gas engine to the drive train, so yes you will be charging the battery to drive it while the generator (on gas) is on. This is likely how they are escaping the government's wrath and being allowed to this an EV when it's clearly an hybrid.

You just said it yourself "under the test conditions they've chosen to use for that metric"
Likely the condition for mpg testing is the battery starting out at 100% and the generator kicking off as soon as it loses any charge, thus the lower real mpg if you DON'T start out at a full charge. It might not generate 20mpg, it might be an adjusted 20 mpg on a full tank of gas AND FULL CHARGE.

Someone else can pick apart all the other crap you are trying to say.
On a "hybrid", especially when the engine is running to charge the battery AND power the traction motors, you need to figure total miles driven and gas used, so you actually get 25 MPG if you can go 690 on a tank of gas and full charge and a 27gal tank. If you want to figure cost, then it is cost to charge plus cost of gas.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
View attachment 171057

View attachment 171058
Thanks @Jimmy07 i know they’re saying that. Just referencing my experience, a 50kw generator wouldn’t fit in there. Maybe it’s some new fangled tech that’s first of its kind. Can’t wait to see it in action

Last edited:

Grape_Ape

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks @Jimmy07 i know they’re saying that. Just referencing my experience, a 50kw generator wouldn’t fit in there. Maybe it’s some new fangled tech that’s first of its kind. Can’t wait to see it in action
If you think of the truck itself being the housing maybe it starts to make more sense? The other thing to consider is we're talking DC voltage and likely at 48V. So that starts to change the calculation of wattage.
IMG_2780.jpeg

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score

LOLOL!!! Can't refute, so deny and refuse...

Please post one link that says it will charge while driving AND being drained?

It HAS been documented that the electricity will go directly from the generator to the electric motors under some conditions. So, how would it make sense to send 130kW to the battery and draw 130kW from the battery at the same time, instead of just sending 130kW direclty to the EDMs, not affecting the battery at all? If the EDMs need more than 130kW, then the batteries would be draining, not charging. If the EDMs need less than 130kW, then the battery would be charging and not draining. Or the generator would just not be running.

Or do you have some documentation explaining that it will work differently than that?

And, again, how often do those Prius battery packs need to be replaced? They are way smaller. They must get used even harder, right?

Are you on crack? The connection from the gas engine to the EDMs is through electrical wires. Wires that allow it to drive the wheels without going through the battery.

It is obvious to anyone (with a lick of common sense) that the test conditions for their stated range specification is going to be starting with a full battery and full gas tank. I mean... duh.

So, where is your evidence that the generator will kick off as soon as the battery loses any charge? The Ramcharger lead engineer specifically said it will have a mode where it can run with no electricity, in order to preserve the charge on the battery. And a mode where it runs on only battery (i.e. no running the generator at all). It stands to reason that, for purposes of determing absolute maximum range (of 690 miles), they would run only on battery until depleted, then only on gas until depleted. Or vice versa. Doesn't seem to matter.

Regardless, for those comfortable with basic arithmetic, the 20 MPG number comes from subtracting the battery-only range (published as 145 miles) from the total range (published as 690 miles). That means 545 miles of range on gas with an EMPTY battery charge. 545 miles from 27 gallons means 20 MPG on a FULL tank of gas and an EMPTY charge, not a full charge.

As I said, it is simple arithmetic, for those comfortable with such things.

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That's not what was being discussed. The discussion was about the replacement cost of the battery being more than the Hemi engine.

Yep. And then you changed to talking about replacing PART of a battery. One module, to be specific, instead of the whole battery. Or am I off and that was someone else?

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
LOLOL!!! Can't refute, so deny and refuse...

Please post one link that says it will charge while driving AND being drained?

It HAS been documented that the electricity will go directly from the generator to the electric motors under some conditions. So, how would it make sense to send 130kW to the battery and draw 130kW from the battery at the same time, instead of just sending 130kW direclty to the EDMs, not affecting the battery at all? If the EDMs need more than 130kW, then the batteries would be draining, not charging. If the EDMs need less than 130kW, then the battery would be charging and not draining. Or the generator would just not be running.

Or do you have some documentation explaining that it will work differently than that?

And, again, how often do those Prius battery packs need to be replaced? They are way smaller. They must get used even harder, right?

Are you on crack? The connection from the gas engine to the EDMs is through electrical wires. Wires that allow it to drive the wheels without going through the battery.

It is obvious to anyone (with a lick of common sense) that the test conditions for their stated range specification is going to be starting with a full battery and full gas tank. I mean... duh.

So, where is your evidence that the generator will kick off as soon as the battery loses any charge? The Ramcharger lead engineer specifically said it will have a mode where it can run with no electricity, in order to preserve the charge on the battery. And a mode where it runs on only battery (i.e. no running the generator at all). It stands to reason that, for purposes of determing absolute maximum range (of 690 miles), they would run only on battery until depleted, then only on gas until depleted. Or vice versa. Doesn't seem to matter.

Regardless, for those comfortable with basic arithmetic, the 20 MPG number comes from subtracting the battery-only range (published as 145 miles) from the total range (published as 690 miles). That means 545 miles of range on gas with an EMPTY battery charge. 545 miles from 27 gallons means 20 MPG on a FULL tank of gas and an EMPTY charge, not a full charge.

As I said, it is simple arithmetic, for those comfortable with such things.
Go touch grass.

Users who are viewing this thread