5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

REV vs Ramcharger - who would buy a REV?

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Not really inflammatory if it's true. being a mod doesn't preclude me from being honest with my opinions. The only people it would offend are those it strikes s nerve with because they know it's true. People like the sound of a V8 because it's mean and aggressive(manly). If that's your only reason for a specific engine choice, then stick with a V8. If you have practicality and usefulness in mind, it wouldnt hurt to broaden your mind and realize the Ramcharger will do everything your V8 can do, except sound like a V8, and do it better.

I appreciate a good V8 rumble. I own three V8 trucks, and have aftermarket exhaust on all of them because I wanted a better sound. And I wanted the V8 because they made the most power. If the Ramcharger would have been an option when I bought my Ram, and they had it in the BTS package, I'd definitely have bought it, especially if a Hemi wasn't an option.

You can't say for certain a Hemi Ram is cheaper to own because you have no experience with the Ramcharger, and pricing hasn't been released, so we don't "all know" how much more it's going to cost. Easier to maintain is definitely not true. Right now you have an engine, transmission, transfer case, differential, hydraulic braking system, batteries, generator... All that needs maintenance. the Ramcharger has an engine, generator, batteries, and electric motors. it eliminates most of the mechanical components meaning it should be easier, and cheaper, to maintain. Making up reasons to dislike it isnt productive in this thread.
I didn't buy a Ram for power, if I wanted power I would of gotten a Ford with a turbo.
Ram (had) what seemed to be a reliable engine and good creature comforts while still being a regular truck.

Are you going to tell me I wanted to be deaft because I have and still do listen to my music extremely loud too? Maybe I just enjoy it like that crazy though?
When I hear my trucks engine\exhaust it also gives me pleasure as it also sounds tasteful.

What is it with you and the term "manly". Men are allowed to be men and this has 0 to do with any talk of trucks, women can and do own trucks too. The other day I saw a hot blond in full business attire (high heels and everything) driving an Challenger Scatpack with a very loud exhaust. Are you saying she must be "manly" because of that? God forbid people have tastes even if you don't understand it.

You also don't understand what the word inflammatory means if you think statements are not because they are true. There are a TON of things that are inflammatory despite being 100% true (not saying those are bad or wrong to say but they still are inflammatory when it comes down to it)

I would rather have a mod that is honest even if I don't agree with them then swing their "power" around even if they do make comments that seem dumb to some of us sometimes, as we all do.

I can say for sure the Ramcharger is going to be more expensive to maintain for sure due to the price of batteries and the fact they are going to be stressed more then a typical EV due to the fact they are almost always going to be charging.

You can buy a 5.7 engine and transmission for cheaper then the price of a battery pack for a Tesla that costs $45k

There is going to be verbiage in the 8 year warranty that states that decreased battery life is not covered so unless the entire pack goes good luck getting it replaced under warranty so plan on spending money at the 10 year mark of ownership, or plan on selling (junking) the truck by then

Now second gen Ramcharger will likely be something to write home about assuming this survives production and ever makes it into a customer's hand.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I didn't buy a Ram for power, if I wanted power I would of gotten a Ford with a turbo.
Ram (had) what seemed to be a reliable engine and good creature comforts while still being a regular truck.

Are you going to tell me I wanted to be deaft because I have and still do listen to my music extremely loud too? Maybe I just enjoy it like that crazy though?
When I hear my trucks engine\exhaust it also gives me pleasure as it also sounds tasteful.

What is it with you and the term "manly". Men are allowed to be men and this has 0 to do with any talk of trucks, women can and do own trucks too. The other day I saw a hot blond in full business attire (high heels and everything) driving an Challenger Scatpack with a very loud exhaust. Are you saying she must be "manly" because of that? God forbid people have tastes even if you don't understand it.

You also don't understand what the word inflammatory means if you think statements are not because they are true. There are a TON of things that are inflammatory despite being 100% true (not saying those are bad or wrong to say but they still are inflammatory when it comes down to it)

I would rather have a mod that is honest even if I don't agree with them then swing their "power" around even if they do make comments that seem dumb to some of us sometimes, as we all do.

I can say for sure the Ramcharger is going to be more expensive to maintain for sure due to the price of batteries and the fact they are going to be stressed more then a typical EV due to the fact they are almost always going to be charging.

You can buy a 5.7 engine and transmission for cheaper then the price of a battery pack for a Tesla that costs $45k

There is going to be verbiage in the 8 year warranty that states that decreased battery life is not covered so unless the entire pack goes good luck getting it replaced under warranty so plan on spending money at the 10 year mark of ownership, or plan on selling (junking) the truck by then

Now second gen Ramcharger will likely be something to write home about assuming this survives production and ever makes it into a customer's hand.
Once again, making up "facts" to try and support your opinion. Tesla battery packs do not cost $45k. And the Ramcharger definitely won't cost that much since it's smaller. They have also said that they can replace individual battery within the pack vs replacing the whole thing. Which reduces cost. Quit trying to insert false information

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Screenshot_20231114-101805.png

Just had a busy have to replace his Hemi in his 2017 Rebel. Cost was $5k. Seems pretty comparable to a battery module replacement in a Tesla. And you don't have to replace the entire battery pack, just the bad module.

Redz72

Ram Guru
Reaction score
IMG_9412.png

I’m just going to leave this right here. We can all cherry pick any data we want. If you like the Ramcharger, then get it. If you don’t, then don’t buy it. But dont knock other people for not agreeing with you. (Not speaking to anyone in particular.)

In the words in Rodney King, can’t we all just get along? 🤣🤣🤣

Or maybe it was that famous guy Jesus that said it? I can’t remember. 😇😂

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Once again, making up "facts" to try and support your opinion. Tesla battery packs do not cost $45k. And the Ramcharger definitely won't cost that much since it's smaller. They have also said that they can replace individual battery within the pack vs replacing the whole thing. Which reduces cost. Quit trying to insert false information
I didn't mean the pack was $45k. The entire car is 45k which is way cheaper then then the Ramcharger will be so I would expect more cost to replace it since it is more expensive to start with (no way Ramcharger starts at 38k).

Screenshot_20231114-115702869 (1).jpg
Screenshot_20231114-115456630 (1).jpg

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
View attachment 171020

Just had a buddy have to replace his Hemi in his 2017 Rebel. Cost was $5k. and you will be hard pressed to find a good 8HP70 for under ,$5k, unless you are buying an unknown user one. Seems pretty comparable to a battery module replacement in a Tesla. And you don't have to replace the entire battery pack, just the bad module.

If you meant the Tesla cost $45k, you need to work on your sentence structure.

Last edited:

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Not really inflammatory if it's true.
Your statement wasn't true, it was an unqualified generalization. "v8 purists, who need the sound to feel macho". You can like the sound, without needing to feel macho. And the rest of that statement is saying that nobody can possibly find fault with the ram charger so anyone who does is wrong in your mind. I gave you reasons why some of us prefer v8's, and those reasons are not "macho", nor anything to do with the gov't mandating EVs.

You're objectively wrong here.

being a mod doesn't preclude me from being honest with my opinions. The only people it would offend are those it strikes s nerve with because they know it's true.
Again not true. You're writing false statements and then saying people who get "offended" are because it strikes a nerve. We're arguing with you not because it strikes a nerve, but because you're arrogant and writing complete bullsh|t a good portion of the time.

The last "discussion" with you I posted a statement directly from the manufacture proving you wrong (aluminum in moly from HPL) and you had the arrogance to reply with "my research shows this isn't true". Like I said I would have blocked you long ago if this site supported blocking mod accounts.

Please do us all the courtesy of logging in and posting under a normal user account instead of your mod account. That way we can all ignore your flamebait while you retain your ability to perform mod actions under your mod account.

People like the sound of a V8 because it's mean and aggressive(manly). If that's your only reason for a specific engine choice, then stick with a V8.
Not the only reason we like v8s.

If you have practicality and usefulness in mind, it wouldnt hurt to broaden your mind and realize the Ramcharger will do everything your V8 can do, except sound like a V8, and do it better.
Except also cost $20k more, be more complicated/costly to maintain etc etc.

I appreciate a good V8 rumble.
Exactly. Notice that you didn't add "because I need to feel macho". It's so kind of you to omit that with yourself while painting everyone else with a "macho" brush.

I own three V8 trucks, and have aftermarket exhaust on all of them because I wanted a better sound. And I wanted the V8 because they made the most power. If the Ramcharger would have been an option when I bought my Ram, and they had it in the BTS package, I'd definitely have bought it, especially if a Hemi wasn't an option.

You can't say for certain a Hemi Ram is cheaper to own because you have no experience with the Ramcharger, and pricing hasn't been released,

We can absolutely say for certain it will cost more, just like we can say for certain it will tow better. We don't need the actual object in hand before making those predictions, they can be safely predicted and stated based on past history and the facts we have been given from Ram. Every EV truck has an exorbitant price tag, much of this is due to the expense of the battery. It will never come close to the price of a simple tradesman/bighorn v8. And when your battery dies at 10 years and needs to be replaced, welcome to another $10,000 to $20,000 invoice.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Your statement wasn't true, it was an unqualified generalization. "v8 purists, who need the sound to feel macho". You can like the sound, without needing to feel macho. And the rest of that statement is saying that nobody can possibly find fault with the ram charger so anyone who does is wrong in your mind. I gave you reasons why some of us prefer v8's, and those reasons are not "macho", nor anything to do with the gov't mandating EVs.

You're objectively wrong here.

Again not true. You're writing false statements and then saying people who get "offended" are because it strikes a nerve. We're arguing with you not because it strikes a nerve, but because you're arrogant and writing complete bullsh|t a good portion of the time.

The last "discussion" with you I posted a statement directly from the manufacture proving you wrong (aluminum in moly from HPL) and you had the arrogance to reply with "my research shows this isn't true". Like I said I would have blocked you long ago if this site supported blocking mod accounts.

I won't get back into the wear metals argument. I let that go because it was a waste of time. K&N claims it's intake increases HP by 10hp and torque by 35 lb/ft. We should all believe everything a manufacturer claims..
Please do us all the courtesy of logging in and posting under a normal user account instead of your mod account. That way we can all ignore your flamebait while you retain your ability to perform mod actions under your mod account.

Not the only reason we like v8s.

But you admit it is a reason. Good to know.
Except also cost $20k more, be more complicated/costly to maintain etc etc.
Show me these sales prices you are claiming. I'll wait

Exactly. Notice that you didn't add "because I need to feel macho". It's so kind of you to omit that with yourself while painting everyone else with a "macho" brush.
I use aftermarket exhaust because it sounds aggressive and I like to show off. Will it make you feel better if I say it's because it makes me feel more macho or Manley to have a louder exhaust than the guy next to me at the light? And with my Dakota, I can back up the sound with performance.

We can absolutely say for certain it will cost more, just like we can say for certain it will tow better. We don't need the actual object in hand before making those predictions, they can be safely predicted and stated based on past history and the facts we have been given from Ram. Every EV truck has an exorbitant price tag, much of this is due to the expense of the battery. It will never come close to the price of a simple tradesman/bighorn v8. And when your battery dies at 10 years and needs to be replaced, welcome to another $10,000 to $20,000 invoice.
Still making up dollar amounts for something that hasn't even been released yet. You can't say "for certain" because you don't know. You are assuming, and you know what they say about assuming.

go-ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I would be interested in the Ramcharger. I like the idea of extending the range with the V-6 charging the battery. One downside is you have a more complicated system which may or may not be a head ache when problems come up. Have to see how the warranty will be laid out.
I am also concerned about the price. My last truck, 2022 Laramie Longhorn, the MSRP was $80,460!
I got on the waiting list for a Ramcharger as soon as I could, I'm bracing myself for a price of $80-100k. But for me, I can trade in my low-miles EcoDiesel and the old Prius I use for in-town driving and my short daily commute, paring it down to one vehicle (Ramcharger) that can be both a short-trip vehicle and a long-trip/working truck vehicle.
I hear what you say with the two systems on board adding to complexity, that's a legitimate concern. But I two things come to my mind that are helping me justify the possibility of a Ramcharger for myself:
(1) My beater Prius, for just one example, has been reliable for 19 years, no repairs whatsoever with any drivetrain component, neither gas engine nor electric hybrid system. The brake controller had to be replaced under warranty years ago, but zero has been done to anything in the gas-electric hybrid drivetrain. Still on the original hybrid battery at 190,000+ miles (but I'm easy on equipment, and I maintain all equipment pretty much by the book).
(2) The Stellantis 3.6 L v6, while not much of a performer, has been a reliable workhorse for, what, 15+ years? It's done very well in the Charger Pursuits that California Highway Patrol drives. Also, as a generator in the Ramcharger, it'll run at more or less constant speed, under computer-controlled conditions, so the 3.6 L in the Ramcharger should last 25 years or more with that ideal operating cycle.
I'm not saying I'm right, but at this point, based on my experience with the Prius hybrid and my flawless 2020 Ram EcoDiesel, I'm fairly confident the Ramcharger will be a reliable vehicle. I'm sure there will be teething problems, but once those typical new-technology/new-model problems are addressed, it should be good for a long time.

SkittleRam

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I would choose the Ramcharger for sure, it does the EV thing the best with the current Tech available.

It would make the best option for me, as I would never really need to use the gas generator(which could be problematic as gas/oil gets old) on a daily commute and then when needed for trips you are set.

This is assuming that it is delivered at a reasonable price and reliability.

silver billet

Reaction score
I won't get back into the wear metals argument. I let that go because it was a waste of time. K&N claims it's intake increases HP by 10hp and torque by 35 lb/ft. We should all believe everything a manufacturer claims..
When the CEO of the small company who is also in charge of the product line tells me X, and little ole hskr on a forum tells me "in my research, x is not possible", we have two choices. I will not further insult you by spelling out the obvious choice we're going with here, I'm sure even you can figure that out. Yet you write "my research" like it has any value to the discussion whatsoever.

But you admit it is a reason. Good to know.

Prop up an argument that doesn't apply, when you get called out for it then say "well that reason works for other cases not related to this argument". ok?

Show me these sales prices you are claiming. I'll wait

I use aftermarket exhaust because it sounds aggressive and I like to show off. Will it make you feel better if I say it's because it makes me feel more macho or Manley to have a louder exhaust than the guy next to me at the light? And with my Dakota, I can back up the sound with performance.

Still making up dollar amounts for something that hasn't even been released yet. You can't say "for certain" because you don't know. You are assuming, and you know what they say about assuming.

These are called predictions. We both know the price of the charger will be $20k more than a current base hemi. I know it, you know it, we both know you know it. But you're arrogant and you'll say whatever comes to your mind just so you don't have to say "I was wrong".

Have you created that non-mod account yet please?

Scram1500

Reaction score
Too bad the 3.6L sounds like **** though a tin horn. If they could somehow add a couple cylinders and make the combustion chambers hemispherical they might be onto something. But I'm sure they'd do something stupid, like hide the oil filter above the steering rack and front diff or have exhaust manifolds made from old soup cans

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
When the CEO of the small company who is also in charge of the product line tells me X, and little ole hskr on a forum tells me "in my research, x is not possible", we have two choices. I will not further insult you by spelling out the obvious choice we're going with here, I'm sure even you can figure that out. Yet you write "my research" like it has any value to the discussion whatsoever.
With that argument, then you should ok with Elon Musk stating the replacement cost for Tesla batteries since he is CEO and is involved in product development. I mean, you, yourself, just said when that happens you only have two choices. So don't insult yourself by being a hypocrite.

Prop up an argument that doesn't apply, when you get called out for it then say "well that reason works for other cases not related to this argument". ok?

You said it wasn't the "only reason". Which means it was one of the reasons. Making my comment, at least partially, correct. Or are you going to keep trying to talk around your own comments?
These are called predictions. We both know the price of the charger will be $20k more than a current base hemi. I know it, you know it, we both know you know it. But you're arrogant and you'll say whatever comes to your mind just so you don't have to say "I was wrong".

Have you created that non-mod account yet please?
Predictions, assumptions, same thing. I don't "know" what it will cost and neither do you. Stop making absolute statements about something don't know

silver billet

Reaction score
With that argument, then you should ok with Elon Musk stating the replacement cost for Tesla batteries since he is CEO and is involved in product development. I mean, you, yourself, just said when that happens you only have two choices. So don't insult yourself by being a hypocrite.

These are the battery replacement costs for a tesla. It's a range and depends on the car. Using this as a PREDICTION of what it will cost to replace the charger battery is perfectly logical.

On the other hand, having a published PDS of an oil, by the guy who designed that oil, showing a measurement of alumimum in the moly, and then having you say "my research" is completely laughable and arrogant. The fact that you can't see the difference in these scenarios just shows how big your mouth is, it's clouding your vision.

You said it wasn't the "only reason". Which means it was one of the reasons. Making my comment, at least partially, correct. Or are you going to keep trying to talk around your own comments?
Again your lack of logic is showing. The issue wasn't the fact that you listed ONE reason being macho, it's the fact that you globally categorized all reasons for prefering a v8 as being either macho or wanting to stuff it to the govt. In other words, your argument was saying "these are the only reasons". That's a very stupid, arrogant, and objectively wrong thing to say. Since I know you know better, the only reason you'd say that is to stir up sh|t basically turning your posts into flamebait/trolling.

Predictions, assumptions, same thing. I don't "know" what it will cost and neither do you.

We know because of the cost of materials, the complicated system, the pricing of other EVs relative to what this truck looks like etc. We know that replacement batteries are another 10k to 20k which needs to be factored into total cost of ownership.

Go to ram truck and build and price a tradesman hemi, $39,500. This Ram charger will be at least 55 to 60k. You know it, I know it. And that doesn't include replacement battery so add another 10 to 20k.

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So, when did this discussion degrade into an argument about the cost of a Tesla battery versus a 5.7 and tranny replacement versus the price of tea in China?
From good idea and lets wait and see, to overpriced and under engineered piece of crap terrible idea.
Talk about polar opposites. If you boyz can't play nice and just get along, then PM each other and take it out into the parking lot so the rest of us can relax with a civil discussion.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
I still don't think there's a 130kw generator attached to the 3.6L.

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I still don't think there's a 130kw generator attached to the 3.6L.
IMG_0082.jpeg

IMG_0083.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread