5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Retrofitting the 33 gallon tank

wait you only get 440 miles with the 33 gal tank??? i get 400 now? your telling me for what is it 800-1k more to do this retro fitting i only get 40 miles more?
genuinely asking.
I have to drive it more get my average up, that was just first fillup . My average should go up once i drive it more. I only have 2700 miles on truck.

Mine was in before for filling g.issues. it wouldn't fill to full on our trip and it was hit and miss if the nozzles turned every which way while filling, would work one station to the next.
I even tried using the funnel molar provides for additives and to use for filling with a gas can....both a no go.

I have to drive it more get my average up, that was just first fillup . My average should go up once i drive it more. I only have 2700 miles on truck.
Ah understood ok. my dumbass was trippen there for a second i was like dude i swore folks were getting 600 miles+ after that lol thank you for clarifying

Ah understood ok. my dumbass was trippen there for a second i was like dude i swore folks were getting 600 miles+ after that lol thank you for clarifying
Yeah i also have bigger tires ,heavy rock sliders so im sure thats not gonna help either, plus i have been driving in the city alot. I need a long trip. Adding weight and bigger tires will cut your avg. Down for sure.

Yeah i also have bigger tires ,heavy rock sliders so im sure thats not gonna help either, plus i have been driving in the city alot. I need a long trip. Adding weight and bigger tires will cut your avg. Down for sure.
oh for sure. im getting about 410 on a fill up. and when i went from stock to my level/tires i went from 18-19mpg to 15-16 immediately lol

I think I have a parts list stitched together, but I’m not mechanically inclined and am not sure I have the confidence to tackle this myself. I live north of Atlanta. Anyone on here live in the southeast and willing to help? Or know of any shops/guys that would do this? I called my local dealers but they won’t touch it due to Chrysler’s service bulletin.

edit: I have a 2022 rebel with a 23 gal tank.

Joined the 33 gallon gang today 🤙🏾 from the tiny 23 gallon gang. Realized after I already dropped the old tank and started to swap hoses that the fuel pump I previous purchased from a totaled Ram w/ 14k wasn’t from a 33 gallon tank but 23 and I managed to break the connector on the old pump comparing so wasn’t any going back. So new/ used 23 gallon pump went it. Quick internet search shows then 33 and 23 are identical except the float is slightly longer on the 33 gallon. Can’t think of that being a problem unless I really attempt to run the tank that low which I never will. Took maybe 2 hour or so getting the pickup hose off was probably the hardest don’t know why it was so far on.

It dawned on me while I was staring at both tank sipping a beer. I know up until this point the guys doing this swap assumed only the 26 gallon folks can reuse their existing pump and that the 23 gallon folks had to swap pumps doing the swap but I don’t think anyone ever really thought and compared both pumps.. yes their two different pumps available 23g and 26g but the the pumps the same dimension and connector wise. The difference is the floater is slightly longer on the 26g pump but if you think about it the pump still pulls fuel from the center of the tank the additional capacity comes from the width. The fuel gauge might be slightly off but its an estimate anyways and you really shouldn’t be running the tank that low anyways or stick with the “range miles left” once calibrated. 26g pump is $550ish vs $150 for a 23g. Just a thought.

Edit:
Found this guy..around the 7 min mark is a pump comparison.

It dawned on me while I was staring at both tank sipping a beer. I know up until this point the guys doing this swap assumed only the 26 gallon folks can reuse their existing pump and that the 23 gallon folks had to swap pumps doing the swap but I don’t think anyone ever really thought and compared both pumps.. yes their two different pumps available 23g and 26g but the the pumps the same dimension and connector wise. The difference is the floater is slightly longer on the 26g pump but if you think about it the pump still pulls fuel from the center of the tank the additional capacity comes from the width. The fuel gauge might be slightly off but its an estimate anyways and you really shouldn’t be running the tank that low anyways or stick with the “range miles left” once calibrated. 26g pump is $550ish vs $150 for a 23g. Just a thought.

Edit:
Found this guy..around the 7 min mark is a pump comparison.
Yeah its to late for me but i thought about it . Do they sell just the float and how would it be changing it out?

Of course they don’t sell just the float by itself or that would cut into profits lol. Even on past GM vehicles I been able to just order a rebuild kit (actually pump/sock/hose) even better aftermarket flowing pumps and just rebuild and reuse the canister for way cheaper then buying a complete setup but nooo not Stellantis. Floats just a clip and disconnect/reconnect the electrical connection.

Of course they don’t sell just the float by itself or that would cut into profits lol. Even on past GM vehicles I been able to just order a rebuild kit (actually pump/sock/hose) even better aftermarket flowing pumps and just rebuild and reuse the canister for way cheaper then buying a complete setup but nooo not Stellantis. Floats just a clip and disconnect/reconnect the electrical connection.
Well i guess i can keep my 23 g pump and use it as a spare for the future.

Thats what I’m doing once it it airs out Ill stick it on the shelf just in case. 23G tank will be trashed. 50k on it but you never know whats on backorder when the time comes.

Does anyone have a picture or video of how the third gas tank strap attaches to the body? I found the mopar strap reinforcement referenced in the above video, but that only covers the t slot side of the strap.

Greetings all, I just purchased a 2024 1500 Crew Cab with the 5.7 eTorque engine configuration. I am interested in doing the fuel tank retrofit to move from the 26 gallon tank to the 33 gallon tank. I seem to see most people referencing the fuel tank as part number as 68408875AF. When I did a search for my truck, it seems to return 68549019AA as the part number for my configuration. Which one do I actually need? Is there a difference between them?

Greetings all, I just purchased a 2024 1500 Crew Cab with the 5.7 eTorque engine configuration. I am interested in doing the fuel tank retrofit to move from the 26 gallon tank to the 33 gallon tank. I seem to see most people referencing the fuel tank as part number as 68408875AF. When I did a search for my truck, it seems to return 68549019AA as the part number for my configuration. Which one do I actually need? Is there a difference between them
68408875AF is the 33g gas tank
Here is other parts for conversion
68408875AF $ 191.52 Fuel Pump 68409160AE $405.44 Tank Strap 52030458ab $24.44 Tank Strap Nut 06104717AA $2.82 Vapor Canister 52029888AD $143.64 Filter to Canister Hose 52029909AC $16.09 Purge Hose 52029908AB $45.12 Vapor Tube 68307831AB $24.26 Fuel Line Bundle 52030443AC $56.70 Fuel Module Ring Lock 04721916AA $10.77 Skid Plate 52029964AD $301.71 $

Does anyone have a picture or video of how the third gas tank strap attaches to the body? I found the mopar strap reinforcement referenced in the above video, but that only covers the t slot side of the strap.
Not sure if you should worry I did mine last Feb and have done 20000 miles on it, the tank is solid with two straps, unless your bouncing off road I wouldn’t bother

I had a check engine light pop up yesterday ,i plugged in obd reader it said real small evap leak detected. Reset didnt come back yet . I had to modify I one of the evap hose connections to make it work.

Greetings all, I just purchased a 2024 1500 Crew Cab with the 5.7 eTorque engine configuration. I am interested in doing the fuel tank retrofit to move from the 26 gallon tank to the 33 gallon tank. I seem to see most people referencing the fuel tank as part number as 68408875AF. When I did a search for my truck, it seems to return 68549019AA as the part number for my configuration. Which one do I actually need? Is there a difference between them?
Where are you located? I have the full setup available.

I've finally completed 33 gallon fuel tank retrofit on my 2020 RAM Rebel. I took that truck from stock inventory at the dealership, and I thought I will be OK with 23 gallon tank, which was a trade-off for a eTorque engine. Man, I love how eTorque works comparing to regular 5.7 HEMI.
My previous SUV had just 14 gallon, and while it was very inconvenient, I was living with it for few years. But then I switched to Dodge Durango with its 25 gallon tank and 21 mpg even going 80mph on a highway. So I easily was going 450-500 miles between fuel stops, and I even changed the way I do road trips taking bio-breaks in parks instead of gas stations. My dog definitely appreciated that change. 23 gallon in Rebel wasn't too small comparing to 25 gallon in Durango, but because of way lower mpg on highway speeds, I needed to stop to refuel every 3 hours. Plus when going to the wilderness, I needed to fill-up at the last gas station, and then hoping that I will have enough fuel to return back. So long story short - I realized that I really need a 33 gallon tank.

Thanks to people in this thread for valuable info. Unfortunately, I couldn't find A-Z guide how to do this upgrade, so it took some time to do my own research. Let's start.

Parts that you need:
1. 68408875AE - 33 gallon fuel tank
2. 68409160AE - fuel pump. Looks like if you have 26 gallon tank you can reuse it, but 23 gallon fuel pump is different. It comes with O-ring seal.
3. 52030458AB and 06104717AA - 3rd fuel tank strap and nut. You need this if you are lucky and you have a subframe member for the 3rd strap, closer to the front of the truck. It is not clear why some trucks with 23 or 26 gallon tanks have it, and some don't.
4. 52029888AC - vapor canister (EVAP). It is longer then vapor canister of 23 gallon tank.
5. 52029909AC - hose from vapor canister to fresh air filter. It is different than the hose from 23 gallon tank.
6. 52029908AB - hose from vapor canister to vapor tube
7. 68307831AB - vapor tube. Connects hose 52029908AB with another vapor tube, going to the engine. It is shorter than 23/26 gallon tank tube.
8. 52030443AB - fuel line bundle. Connects vapor canister, fuel pump and exhaust port on the fuel tank. It is longer than 23/26 gallon tank bundle.
9. 04721916AA - lock ring for fuel pump. Small addition that will save you a lot of time. Instead of reusing the lock ring from an old tank, just put a fresh one to a new tank. Few backs worth the pain of trying to remove an old ring from old tank from my perspective.
10. 68408875AE - skid plate for 33 gallon fuel tank. If you have a skid plate on your 23/26 gallon tank, it is shorter and won't cover ~1 feet of the longer 33 gallon tank.

I was upgrading from 23 gallon tank, I don’t have a frame crossmember for the 3rd strap, and I've decided to keep my short fuel tank skid plate since I don't plan to do crazy rock crawling. Total for parts before tax for me was less than $600, which is OK since 33 gallon tank as an extra option when you order the truck costs $450. Plus 2-3 hours of work if you know what to do.

1. First things that you need to do is to burn as much gas in the tank as you can. When I returned back to my garage, trip computer was showing 20 miles to empty, but actually it appeared that ~3 gallons were still left in the tank. So try to get it to the state when it shows "Low". It will save you time from activating fuel pump through AlfaOBD and draining the remaining gas to the bucket. Plus I didn't relieved the pressure from fuel system, I just let the truck to stay overnight in the garage. So use as much gas as you can and then leave the truck alone for 12 hours, and don't start it when you return back to remove the tank.
2. Remove fuel tank skid plate if you have it by unscrewing 4 bolts.
3. Follow Fuel Tank Replacement Guide to remove the tank. I've skipped steps #1 and #4. I used 4 jack stands to lift the vehicle 0.5 feet above the ground - that was enough to work on this. Then I used floor jack with a piece of 2x6 stud to carefully lower the tank to the ground. With few gallons of gas inside, I think total weight was over 30 pounds, so I suggest to use a buddy to help you with this. Check Fuel Connector chart for more details how to disconnect each connector type.
4. Install new fuel pump by following steps #1-#7 from Fuel Pump Replacement guide.
5. Install new vapor canister on a new tank. Install 52029908AB hose and 52030443AB bundle on the tank, use old tank as a reference how to connect everything.
6. Swap heat shield from old tank to new tank by unclipping 4 plastic clips.
7. Go under the truck and remove vapor tube going to the engine, and replace it with shorter vapor tube (68307831AB). You will need to unclip the plastic mounts holding break lines and a fuel line, be careful not to damage them.
8. Then replace hose that goes from you've disconnected from vapor canister, that goes to fresh air filter. New one is 52029909AC.
9. Install new tank, which is directly opposite to tank removal procedure, nothing special there.
10. If you have a frame crossmember for 3rd strap, install that 3rd strap. My truck didn't have it, and I can't say that tank with 2 straps is not secured well - it is not moving anywhere, and majority of the weight is carried on default two straps just fine. Tank is made of a thick high-density plastic, so it will not crack even under its own weight.
11. Install the skid plate.
12. Lower the truck and fuel it up. I poured 2 gallons from the canister and checked for leaks. Start the truck and make sure it runs well and nothing is leaking. Water drops from the exhaust are water, not gas, so don't freak out if you see them :)
13. Connect with AlfaOBD and change VehConfig-3 Fuel Capacity to 125, which is the 33 gallon tank volume in liters (default setting for 23 gallon tank is 87). Check this post for details, thanks Dixit.
14. Go to the gas station and fill up. Enjoy 500+ miles to empty on the trip computer!

If you find this guide useful, check my Amazon influencer page for other items that I use with my RAM: bit.ly/RAMStuff
How has this been with only two straps? Any issues? Been OK?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back