5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Retrofitting the 33 gallon tank

frisby5

Reaction score
wait you only get 440 miles with the 33 gal tank??? i get 400 now? your telling me for what is it 800-1k more to do this retro fitting i only get 40 miles more?
genuinely asking.
I have to drive it more get my average up, that was just first fillup . My average should go up once i drive it more. I only have 2700 miles on truck.

W Six

Reaction score
Mine was in before for filling g.issues. it wouldn't fill to full on our trip and it was hit and miss if the nozzles turned every which way while filling, would work one station to the next.
I even tried using the funnel molar provides for additives and to use for filling with a gas can....both a no go.

Slutzk

Cooling off
Reaction score
I have to drive it more get my average up, that was just first fillup . My average should go up once i drive it more. I only have 2700 miles on truck.
Ah understood ok. my dumbass was trippen there for a second i was like dude i swore folks were getting 600 miles+ after that lol thank you for clarifying

frisby5

Reaction score
Ah understood ok. my dumbass was trippen there for a second i was like dude i swore folks were getting 600 miles+ after that lol thank you for clarifying
Yeah i also have bigger tires ,heavy rock sliders so im sure thats not gonna help either, plus i have been driving in the city alot. I need a long trip. Adding weight and bigger tires will cut your avg. Down for sure.

Slutzk

Cooling off
Reaction score
Yeah i also have bigger tires ,heavy rock sliders so im sure thats not gonna help either, plus i have been driving in the city alot. I need a long trip. Adding weight and bigger tires will cut your avg. Down for sure.
oh for sure. im getting about 410 on a fill up. and when i went from stock to my level/tires i went from 18-19mpg to 15-16 immediately lol

nc3

Reaction score
I think I have a parts list stitched together, but I’m not mechanically inclined and am not sure I have the confidence to tackle this myself. I live north of Atlanta. Anyone on here live in the southeast and willing to help? Or know of any shops/guys that would do this? I called my local dealers but they won’t touch it due to Chrysler’s service bulletin.

edit: I have a 2022 rebel with a 23 gal tank.

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Joined the 33 gallon gang today 🤙🏾 from the tiny 23 gallon gang. Realized after I already dropped the old tank and started to swap hoses that the fuel pump I previous purchased from a totaled Ram w/ 14k wasn’t from a 33 gallon tank but 23 and I managed to break the connector on the old pump comparing so wasn’t any going back. So new/ used 23 gallon pump went it. Quick internet search shows then 33 and 23 are identical except the float is slightly longer on the 33 gallon. Can’t think of that being a problem unless I really attempt to run the tank that low which I never will. Took maybe 2 hour or so getting the pickup hose off was probably the hardest don’t know why it was so far on.

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It dawned on me while I was staring at both tank sipping a beer. I know up until this point the guys doing this swap assumed only the 26 gallon folks can reuse their existing pump and that the 23 gallon folks had to swap pumps doing the swap but I don’t think anyone ever really thought and compared both pumps.. yes their two different pumps available 23g and 26g but the the pumps the same dimension and connector wise. The difference is the floater is slightly longer on the 26g pump but if you think about it the pump still pulls fuel from the center of the tank the additional capacity comes from the width. The fuel gauge might be slightly off but its an estimate anyways and you really shouldn’t be running the tank that low anyways or stick with the “range miles left” once calibrated. 26g pump is $550ish vs $150 for a 23g. Just a thought.

Edit:
Found this guy..around the 7 min mark is a pump comparison.

frisby5

Reaction score
It dawned on me while I was staring at both tank sipping a beer. I know up until this point the guys doing this swap assumed only the 26 gallon folks can reuse their existing pump and that the 23 gallon folks had to swap pumps doing the swap but I don’t think anyone ever really thought and compared both pumps.. yes their two different pumps available 23g and 26g but the the pumps the same dimension and connector wise. The difference is the floater is slightly longer on the 26g pump but if you think about it the pump still pulls fuel from the center of the tank the additional capacity comes from the width. The fuel gauge might be slightly off but its an estimate anyways and you really shouldn’t be running the tank that low anyways or stick with the “range miles left” once calibrated. 26g pump is $550ish vs $150 for a 23g. Just a thought.

Edit:
Found this guy..around the 7 min mark is a pump comparison.
Yeah its to late for me but i thought about it . Do they sell just the float and how would it be changing it out?

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Of course they don’t sell just the float by itself or that would cut into profits lol. Even on past GM vehicles I been able to just order a rebuild kit (actually pump/sock/hose) even better aftermarket flowing pumps and just rebuild and reuse the canister for way cheaper then buying a complete setup but nooo not Stellantis. Floats just a clip and disconnect/reconnect the electrical connection.

frisby5

Reaction score
Of course they don’t sell just the float by itself or that would cut into profits lol. Even on past GM vehicles I been able to just order a rebuild kit (actually pump/sock/hose) even better aftermarket flowing pumps and just rebuild and reuse the canister for way cheaper then buying a complete setup but nooo not Stellantis. Floats just a clip and disconnect/reconnect the electrical connection.
Well i guess i can keep my 23 g pump and use it as a spare for the future.

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thats what I’m doing once it it airs out Ill stick it on the shelf just in case. 23G tank will be trashed. 50k on it but you never know whats on backorder when the time comes.

Users who are viewing this thread