5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Retrofitting the 33 gallon tank

Tellsch

Reaction score
Thanks for all the details you have provided. This thread is amazing!

My parts should be here this week and I will be doing the install this weekend.

Lsufan1969

Reaction score
Well, I got my tank replaced last night. Took about five hours. We lost a lot of time primarily on five things: 1) those chassis clips holding the fuel and brake lines, 2) the two fuel line "quick" connects on top of the fuel pump, 3) those retainer clips for the heat shield, 4) getting the fuel inlet hose attached to the new tank, and 5) figuring out AlphaODB.

We took our time since we absolutely did not want to break any plastic pieces.

1) The chassis clips were just a pain even though we had an idea how they worked. As noted in a previous post, you gotta put a pick or ultra small screwdriver in there to pry the hook to release it. We took our time; we didn't want to break them.

2) Those fuel line connections on top of the fuel pump are different than all the rest. Turns out you slide up the retaining clip and push on the opposite side with your thumb (turn sideways for better access) to release.

3) The heat shield clips just needed a pry tool (or putty knife) slipped under the head to pull it up in order to release. Easy peasy, but not totally obvious looking at them.

4) The fuel inlet hose was just massively difficult attaching to the new tank as we didn't want to put grease on it to slide better in case grease got into the fuel tank.

5) The AlphaODB software changed a little bit since Dixit's write-up on the other thread, which slowed me down. After successfully connecting to "My 2019 PowerNet" but before any other steps, you have to tap the diagnostics button at the bottom right. This takes you to the screens for changing the fuel quantity as shown in Dixit's write-up.

When you disconnect the high-pressure fuel line, I'd say about half a cup of fuel comes out. Just be prepared for that.

We've not attached the third strap yet. When we got the 33g tank mounted securely, I pulled down pretty hard on the forward end of the tank and it seemed quite secure. I'll evaluate it again when I change the oil in a couple months.

In other news: When we were putting the new fuel pump into the new tank, we found something rolling around inside the tank (see attached pic). We have no idea what it's for; doesn't seem to belong to the tank. We think it got tossed in there at some point before reaching me. When the tank was delivered, the box had been compromised. It's definitely a check valve but my 23g tank doesn't have anything like it. Anyone know what it is FOR SURE?
View attachment 85031

I wish everyone great success at their project!
could you take screenshots of the AlphaODB steps to change the fuel tank capacity. I've got 3+ hours invested, I cant figure it out.

Lsufan1969

Reaction score
You had to get approval from your Fiancé??? Holy crap...just wait and see what it's like when you actually get married 🤣 😂🤣😂
he didn't say "fiance" - he said "finance"... I hope they aren't the same otherwise you should back out now!

Tellsch

Reaction score
Thanks to all that have posted info in completing this conversion. I just did it yesterday and it went pretty smoothly. Having a lift would make this job 10x easier, but doable with a jack and some jack stands. Tight quarters for the fittings on top of the tank.

Couple things I may have done differently then others:
1. Remove the heat shield before you start disconnecting fittings, much easier to get to them
2. I had a tough time getting to the clamp on the filler hose on the tank side, so I removed the rear wheel liner and took the filler hose off from the fill port. Was much easier that way.
3. No issues with any of the connectors - the hardest ones to get were the 2 on the fuel pump. Slide the plastic tabs up (I took them off completely) and push with your thumb on the other side. Tight quarters and weird angles, but eventually it goes.

Here are the parts I ordered:
68408875AE
68409160AE
52029888AC
52029908AB
68307831AB
52030443AB
04721916AA
52029909AC - I ended up reusing the existing hose, you don't need to order this one

I don't have the mount for the 3rd strap. Like others have said, it seems really rigid without it. It would be nice to have, but I am not sure it is absolutely mandatory.

All in was $600 bucks and about 3 hours of time. I could probably do it in half the time if I had to do it again.

Tellsch

Reaction score
Just curious - for the people that don't have the fab skills or factory mount point for the 3rd strap - what if we used the 33 gallon skid plate and put rigid foam on top of it to serve as a wedge to support the front of the tank? It is definitely not as graceful as the OEM, but it does seem like it would add the needed support to the tank. I dont have a skid plate so not sure if this is even feasible.

I have some calls into local fabricators but trying to think through all potential options.

Thoughts?

MerzkeM

Reaction score
Anyone in NC who has leftover 26 gallon parts after their 33 gallon upgrade? I might upgrade from the 23 to the 26 gallon but really don't want to mess with the 33 gallon since I don't have the bracket for the third strap.

Rammit

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Unless you can get the parts for free, I don’t think it would be worth the effort to install the 26 gallon tank. The 33 is a huge difference from the 23 and worth it, especially if you ever tow.

Boston

Reaction score
Has the bracket mount totally disappeared from the 23/26 gallon trucks?
I can’t imagine life towing at 10-12mpg and 23 gallons. I like to have 75-100 miles extra in the tank.

MerzkeM

Reaction score
Unless you can get the parts for free, I don’t think it would be worth the effort to install the 26 gallon tank. The 33 is a huge difference from the 23 and worth it, especially if you ever tow.
I would love to upgrade to the 33 gallon tank but unless someone comes up with a repeatable option for the third strap I'm not sure if I'm willing to tackle that one.... Who knows, maybe someone who is getting rid of their 26 gallon tank would love to sell me their old tank.

Tellsch

Reaction score
I am in the process of getting a bracket made by Rammit's buddy. I will let you know how it works out.

You just need to find a local welder for the install, which shouldn't be difficult.

Rammit

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I am in the process of getting a bracket made by Rammit's buddy. I will let you know how it works out.

You just need to find a local welder for the install, which shouldn't be difficult.
Glad to hear it. Let me know how it turns out.

MerzkeM

Reaction score

That would be awesome!

Bw1605

Reaction score
Can’t find the tank....it all says discontinued. Wtf am I missing

Bw1605

Reaction score
Looks looks like the new part number for the fuel tank, 33 gallons, is 68408875AF

Mikejones11

Reaction score
finished mine today. Took me about an hour. Pretty simple. The two fuel lines in the pump suck to get off.

Users who are viewing this thread