5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Retrofitting the 33 gallon tank

Bw1605

Reaction score
So I went to order the fuel tank and the dealer said a big red flag popped up on their screen and said do not order this to add fuel capacity to a vehicle. But he said he can still have it 4 or 5 days LOL. Why on earth is Ram against this.

Tellsch

Reaction score
My guess is the 3rd strap mount. That is the only piece that is not easily added and likely deemed necessary by FCA.

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
So I went to order the fuel tank and the dealer said a big red flag popped up on their screen and said do not order this to add fuel capacity to a vehicle. But he said he can still have it 4 or 5 days LOL. Why on earth is Ram against this.
Might have something to do with altering the payload

Bw1605

Reaction score
That’s what I’m thinking. He said he will still get it for me so it’s gonna be nice.

Last edited:

ZombieSlayer

Reaction score
The strap could possibly be a safety feature helping to secure the tank in accidents/rollovers.

Rammit

Ram Guru
Reaction score
With the bigger tank there is a pretty long part of it that it totally unsupported. I did drive it a few months like that but did not fill completely while I figured out how to resolve it. It may be all as is, but for a reasonable price I like the piece of mind of having it.

Bw1605

Reaction score
With the bigger tank there is a pretty long part of it that it totally unsupported. I did drive it a few months like that but did not fill completely while I figured out how to resolve it. It may be all as is, but for a reasonable price I like the piece of mind of having it.
What did you do to resolve it? Did you get the third strap put on

Biesty

Reaction score
the person no longer work there all i remember then saying was they contact FCA engineers in auburn hills to have them add the sales code to my vin
I've been reading through this thread and I see a number of people looking for the Sales Code for the dealer to add so that they can update display.
I don't know if this is it or not but hoping it is for those that need it.
If you go to the Build Ram website you can configure your vehicle and then search for one or order one. As part of the process you add the items you want. As you add them it modifies the URL with the codes for that item.

"https://www.ramtrucks.com/bmo.ram_1...PZ,DL,A69,ALN,ANT,ADB,ADG,GWJ,XB9,XHC,UAX,25M"

The link above is an example. If we add AHC as a code on the list of codes on the URL (as you can see below) it will add the Trailer Tow Group to the truck.

"https://www.ramtrucks.com/bmo.ram_1...L,A69,ALN,ANT,ADB,ADG,GWJ,XB9,XHC,UAX,25M,AHC"

Now, if we add NFF to the end of that list it will add the 33 gallon tank.

"https://www.ramtrucks.com/bmo.ram_1...9,ALN,ANT,ADB,ADG,GWJ,XB9,XHC,UAX,25M,AHC,NFF"

So, I am not sure but it would seem like "NFF" is the sales code for the 33 gallon tank. Maybe someone in the "know" can validate that but I didn't see anyone provide it anywhere in this thread.

Rammit

Ram Guru
Reaction score
What did you do to resolve it? Did you get the third strap put on
I had a friend of mine custom fabricate a mount to utilize the stock third strap. We installed this after the tank was installed, but would be much easier to do without the tank in place. He is currently making one for another member of the forum. I have provided his info to several members as he is willing to make more. I posted some pics of it earlier in this thread, not sure what page though. It will cost a couple hundred to have him fab and ship it, but piece of mind is worth it.

Rammit

Ram Guru
Reaction score
A friend of mine fabricated a strap and welded it in. He is doing one for another member as well. I give his contact out. You aren’t that far away, maybe 1-1/2 hrs. He could install the strap for you as well. He lives near Monroe. Give him a call. Bobby Williams. (734) 755-7063. Let me know how it goes.

Bw1605

Reaction score
A friend of mine fabricated a strap and welded it in. He is doing one for another member as well. I give his contact out. You aren’t that far away, maybe 1-1/2 hrs. He could install the strap for you as well. He lives near Monroe. Give him a call. Bobby Williams. (734) 755-7063. Let me know how it goes.
I will definitely give a call. Would love to have this done. Thanks bro

Biesty

Reaction score
I had a friend of mine custom fabricate a mount to utilize the stock third strap. We installed this after the tank was installed, but would be much easier to do without the tank in place. He is currently making one for another member of the forum. I have provided his info to several members as he is willing to make more. I posted some pics of it earlier in this thread, not sure what page though. It will cost a couple hundred to have him fab and ship it, but piece of mind is worth it.
Rammit, the pictures were on Post #211 - link to it below:

"https://5thgenrams.com/community/threads/retrofitting-the-33-gallon-tank.1621/post-313020"

Mikejones11

Reaction score
I've been reading through this thread and I see a number of people looking for the Sales Code for the dealer to add so that they can update display.
I don't know if this is it or not but hoping it is for those that need it.
If you go to the Build Ram website you can configure your vehicle and then search for one or order one. As part of the process you add the items you want. As you add them it modifies the URL with the codes for that item.

"https://www.ramtrucks.com/bmo.ram_1...PZ,DL,A69,ALN,ANT,ADB,ADG,GWJ,XB9,XHC,UAX,25M"

The link above is an example. If we add AHC as a code on the list of codes on the URL (as you can see below) it will add the Trailer Tow Group to the truck.

"https://www.ramtrucks.com/bmo.ram_1...L,A69,ALN,ANT,ADB,ADG,GWJ,XB9,XHC,UAX,25M,AHC"

Now, if we add NFF to the end of that list it will add the 33 gallon tank.

"https://www.ramtrucks.com/bmo.ram_1...9,ALN,ANT,ADB,ADG,GWJ,XB9,XHC,UAX,25M,AHC,NFF"

So, I am not sure but it would seem like "NFF" is the sales code for the 33 gallon tank. Maybe someone in the "know" can validate that but I didn't see anyone provide it anywhere in this thread.

I was going to have my dealer update mine. I ended up just ordering the alpha stuff and was finished in 2 minutes.

ServoFides35

Reaction score
Great thread. In their research, did anyone come across a part number for a longer skid plate for the 33 gallon tank? I saw where one person had just reused their plate but it left the extra part of the tank exposed.

CKCKCKCK1

Reaction score
Great thread. In their research, did anyone come across a part number for a longer skid plate for the 33 gallon tank? I saw where one person had just reused their plate but it left the extra part of the tank exposed.
This is what I got ( I haven't put it on yet, though )
52029964AD 1 $ 272.80 SKID PLATE. Fuel Tank.
[33 Gallon Fuel Tank], [Fuel Tank Skid Plate].

Bw1605

Reaction score
I don’t even have a skid on my 23 gallon

Users who are viewing this thread