5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Retrofitting the 33 gallon tank

RVRam

Reaction score
This thread has been a big help. I am looking at a 2020 BH with trailer options and 3.92 rear end. Window sticker says 23 gal. tank. Who would order a truck for towing and not upgrade the tank to 33 gals is beyond me. I asked the sales guy would they upgrade to the 33 gal tank? He checked with service and they said no. I said what if I supply all the Mopar parts? (Which I learned from this thread :) ] Service now says yea we can do it. LOL

CrookedLetta

Reaction score
Has anyone had recent success getting this done at a dealership? If so, how much was the labor?

ammdrew

Reaction score
does anyone know if the eco diesel tank is different then the gas tank?

Smon

Reaction score
I haven't had time to go over everything, but the 33 gallon ecodiesel tank that I looked at did not have the 3rd strap. It must be different than the gas tank due to the DEF tank up front.

zc15

Reaction score
This thread has been a big help. I am looking at a 2020 BH with trailer options and 3.92 rear end. Window sticker says 23 gal. tank. Who would order a truck for towing and not upgrade the tank to 33 gals is beyond me. I asked the sales guy would they upgrade to the 33 gal tank? He checked with service and they said no. I said what if I supply all the Mopar parts? (Which I learned from this thread :) ] Service now says yea we can do it. LOL
Does your truck have the bracket for the third tank strap already?

Hootenanny

Reaction score
I just joined this forum because of this thread. Traded down from a 2016 Laramie 2500 Cummins to a 1500 with 3.92s and the 23 gallon tank (big life changes thanks to the Rona).

The range isn't just bad, it's flat out unacceptable. It has me regretting this deal honestly. Hopefully the 33 gallon tank will let me like this truck, I plan to do it as soon as I have the spare coin.

I had a 2010 Tundra before the 2500, It got a similar range, 320 miles. When towing my 4Runner it got 160 miles.

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Dash display.jpg
Sorry to hear about the poor mileage, but even with the 23 gal tank I run a over 200 mi on a tank. Of course that is CAL and AZ fairly flat country. I get about the same mileage with the RAM as I did with my Duramax. Thought about changing to a 32, but with the cost I figure I can stop a little more often. When we are snow-birding we only run about 200-250 a day anyway. Good luck with the changeover.

Rammit

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I think it’s definitely worth doing. I still can’t believe some engineer was dumb enough to put that small of a tank into a truck. My wife’s minivan tank is almost as big and gets twice the mpg’s. I couldn’t live with it. It’s a lot of work and costly but if your going to keep the truck for a while and do any towing, it’s well worth it. Just this week I drive from Detroit to Columbus and back with our refueling. So nice not to always be on the look out for the next gas station.

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I think it’s definitely worth doing. I still can’t believe some engineer was dumb enough to put that small of a tank into a truck. My wife’s minivan tank is almost as big and gets twice the mpg’s. I couldn’t live with it. It’s a lot of work and costly but if your going to keep the truck for a while and do any towing, it’s well worth it. Just this week I drive from Detroit to Columbus and back with our refueling. So nice not to always be on the look out for the next gas station.
The engineer wasn't dumb, just sneaky. They are trying to eek out more payload

mccague36

Reaction score
The engineer wasn't dumb, just sneaky. They are trying to eek out more payload
I've been following this thread for a while now as I also have the small tank and wished I would have gotten the larger one. That's the trouble with buying used... The range on my truck is no better than my lifted JK I traded in. After reading this thread, it is nice to know there is something we can do about it! Thanks to everyone who has done any trials and research on this topic!

As an Automotive engineer, I can guarantee the tank size was not the engineer's decision. Some vehicle planner and bean counter decided which tanks will go into which trucks based on cost and package content and like Scram1500 mentioned, payload among other things. I'm not defending the decision, only defending my fellow engineer. I don't know how many time's I've argued over vehicle content with management... Note: I do not work for FCA and have never met the fuel systems engineers over there.

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm still thinking about adding a small transfer tank behind the cab for those days when we snowbird with the trailer.
Just don't know if the benefits outweigh the drawbacks.

ClancyO

Reaction score
I'm still thinking about adding a small transfer tank behind the cab for those days when we snowbird with the trailer.
Just don't know if the benefits outweigh the drawbacks.

I recently drove cross country near max limits and my 26 gallon tank had me looking for gas every 150 miles. I too thought of the six transfer tank, I just did mine the extremely manual way: 2 5 gallon plastic Jerry cans in the bed. Fortunately I never needed them, but it was worth the peace of mind..

Attachments

• FCFEC796-CD13-45DE-BE14-CCFB38F35CBD.jpeg
    FCFEC796-CD13-45DE-BE14-CCFB38F35CBD.jpeg
    147.2 KB · Views: 84

Gitter

Reaction score
I recently drove cross country near max limits and my 26 gallon tank had me looking for gas every 150 miles. I too thought of the six transfer tank, I just did mine the extremely manual way: 2 5 gallon plastic Jerry cans in the bed. Fortunately I never needed them, but it was worth the peace of mind..

I might be doing the same for my upcoming trip. Love everything about my truck except that 23 gal tank while towing the travel trailer.

@mccague36, completely agree. I checked and I certainly have room for the full 33 gal tank (but no 3rd strap unfortunately). At least I have a decent 1,455lb payload because of it. :p

PorBoy

Reaction score
Silly question but how much does the payload drop upon adding that 33 gallon tank ?

Scram1500

Reaction score
Silly question but how much does the payload drop upon adding that 33 gallon tank ?
The payload is based on a full tank. Gas is a little over 6 pounds a gallon. If you had an already fat Limited with E-tourqe the 10 gallon difference in the 23 gal tank is 60 pounds. Hardly worth it in my opinion but a 1000 lb payload sounds better on paper than 940 lbs

Boston

Reaction score
Be interesting to see the 33 gallons tank plus the Def tank and compare with the gasser layout.

pcar

Reaction score
I’ll sketch up what I mean when I have a few mins. You would be bolting the bracket on if you don’t want to weld, but could be done clean.
Did you ever sketch up a bracket. It would be great to see how this can be done. This is the only thing stopping me from doing this.

2020Big4x4Horn

Reaction score
Did you ever sketch up a bracket. It would be great to see how this can be done. This is the only thing stopping me from doing this.
Same. Has anyone done this without the strap and not have any issues?

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

Rammit

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Same. Has anyone done this without the strap and not have any issues?

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk
I completed this and ran it for a few months without the strap. I did not have any issues but was very concerned as there is quite a bit of tank unsupported. As I shown earlier in this thread I ended up having a friend fan and install the third strap. I can pm anyone his number as he could recreate it and ship it if needed. It’s really a matter of what you are comfortable with.

Users who are viewing this thread