5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Retrofitting the 33 gallon tank

bcpsw

Reaction score
I just had the dealer where I bought the truck install a 33 gallon tank. They told me it could not be done but after the head mechanic looked at a new Ram with the 33 gallon tank he thought it could be done. I know I overpaid on this but it is installed and works great. I pull a 28' enclosed car trailer and the extra 7 gallons makes a difference.

I am attaching the invoice that has all the part numbers needed to do the swap. You could shop the parts and install yourself to really save some cash.
I agree with you now that I am thinking back, the fuel sender is the same in both tanks. I checked my invoice and did not purchase a sending unit.

Smon

Reaction score
I'm getting close to pulling the trigger on the ecodiesel specific 33 gallon tank. I can't imagine it is any different except for the shape. If that is right, then those with only 2 straps could use this tank without issue and it only require 2.

Price is still $420 for that unit though - 68408872ab

Rammit

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I ran mine without the third strap for a while but did not fill it completely just in case. There is a lot of weight cantilevered on the front end. It may be ok as long as your not doing major off-roading, but I wanted to have the piece of mind knowing it was supported properly.

DSPS

Reaction score
Can you elaborate on this? Are you saying folks are retrofitting with only 2 straps and it's fine or from the factory they are abandoning the 3rd strap on new trucks?

Both cases... some vehicle are stock with 33 gall tanks with 2 straps... some are getting retrofitting with 2 straps only

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 2wd

2wd

Reaction score
Both cases... some vehicle are stock with 33 gall tanks with 2 straps... some are getting retrofitting with 2 straps only

Thanks for confirming!

And wow. And hmmmh....

guess I order the 33 tank even though I don't have the 3rd strap bracket?

jsandgren10

Reaction score
I finished up my swap last weekend. I added the third strap and had to fabricate a bracket as well. It was a pretty simple swap with the write up Dixit did. Took about 5 hours including test fitting the tank and fabricating the bracket.

I didn’t take pictures, but used a a flat bar with a 1” angle iron as a strong back and a 2” angle iron as the surface area to weld the bracket to the frame.And to mount the strap I bought the recall mount off the older rams that gave me a bracket to install on the frame side for the tank strap notch to work and hung a stud bolt at the end of the flat bar I used. It’s not a lot of weight worth of fuel but is cantilevered far so was worth it for piece of mind.

Rammit

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I finished up my swap last weekend. I added the third strap and had to fabricate a bracket as well. It was a pretty simple swap with the write up Dixit did. Took about 5 hours including test fitting the tank and fabricating the bracket.

I didn’t take pictures, but used a a flat bar with a 1” angle iron as a strong back and a 2” angle iron as the surface area to weld the bracket to the frame.And to mount the strap I bought the recall mount off the older rams that gave me a bracket to install on the frame side for the tank strap notch to work and hung a stud bolt at the end of the flat bar I used. It’s not a lot of weight worth of fuel but is cantilevered far so was worth it for piece of mind.
Sounds like a great solution, glad it worked out. I am really happy with the larger tank. So much more range, especially when towing.

2wd

Reaction score
I'm getting what appears to be very good pricing from my dealer for labor if I supply the tank and other equipment needed. I'm going to re-read this thread carefully to confirm that I'll be showing up with all the required parts.

I have a 26 Gallon tank currently.

I have no bracket for the 3rd strap, although according to this thread 2020's with the 33 Gallon are coming from the factory with only the 2 straps that hold the 26 gallon tank.

DSPS

Reaction score
I'm getting what appears to be very good pricing from my dealer for labor if I supply the tank and other equipment needed. I'm going to re-read this thread carefully to confirm that I'll be showing up with all the required parts.

I have no bracket for the 3rd strap, although according to this thread 2020's with the 33 Gallon are coming from the factory with only the 2 straps that hold the 26 gallon tank.

What’s the pricing?... make sure the dealer price includes updating your truck sales code to reflect the larger 33gal tank. Need this for instrument cluster to reflect the new increase range / low fuel warning accurately. Or else your range will be unchanged on the cluster even with the bigger tank.. super frustrating.... my dealer was adamant it wasn’t going to be a problem... until it was. they couldn’t figure out how to update the my truck sales code after install... had to purchase alfaobd/sgw bypass/ obd device to do it myself( $100 total cost). VERY HAPPY WITH BIGGER TANK THOUGH.

Bw1605

Reaction score
Does anyone know why there is a TSB stating not to upgrade fuel tanks?

Rammit

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Let us know if the dealer is able to update the sales code for the proper range. My dealer couldn’t figure out how to do it.

2wd

Reaction score
Thanks all. I got verbal confirmation that the job would include updating the truck computer to reference 33 gallon tank.

Pricing for labor only was quoted at $440.

I’ll need to supply everything however. The SA I was speaking with said he personally hasn’t done this for another customer yet.

Dixit

Reaction score
Does anyone know why there is a TSB stating not to upgrade fuel tanks?

Interesting for sure. I’m going to assume it’s because folks at the dealer probably don’t know that Evap canister isn’t the same. Same goes with fuel pump based on part numbers from 23 to 33 gal. Might be causing other issues. Below TSB is pretty generic but lists a bunch of part numbers that all seem to be fuel tanks. All seem to be 33gal tanks.

6628154542be8975ff467a65b757bd2a.jpg

dts828

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Interesting for sure. I’m going to assume it’s because folks at the dealer probably don’t know that Evap canister isn’t the same. Same goes with fuel pump based on part numbers from 23 to 33 gal. Might be causing other issues. Below TSB is pretty generic but lists a bunch of part numbers that all seem to be fuel tanks. All seem to be 33gal tanks.

6628154542be8975ff467a65b757bd2a.jpg
Could also be for liability reasons.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

spiG

Reaction score
Looked under my truck and don't have the 3rd strap mounting location so deciding if i should do the upgrade anyway.

dts828

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Looked under my truck and don't have the 3rd strap mounting location so deciding if i should do the upgrade anyway.
Yeah I like to hear from these people that got 33 gal tanks from the factory with only 2 straps.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I might be missing something, but can you guys not add a third strap just to be safe?

Dixit

Reaction score
I might be missing something, but can you guys not add a third strap just to be safe?

There is no mounting hole for the strap. Other side of strap has a stud in the frame (that’s not that big a deal) but the hole for the strap if the issue as that entire piece is missing as shown in pictures.

spiG

Reaction score
Yea I wish I had the fabrication skills to make my own mounting bracket to attach the 3rd strap. Really wanted the 33gal for my NC to NY trips 2x a year and still might do it if no issues pop up with the trucks only having 2 straps.

jsandgren10

Reaction score

I wouldn’t run it with only two straps. The only ones I’ve been seeing having a 33 gallon tank with two straps is the eco diesel tank which I believe is a different shape than the gas. It’s a long distance from the 2nd strap to the end.

this is also probably why they released the TSB is because most dealers won’t think about the third strap. It’s not too hard to fabricate something up.

Users who are viewing this thread