5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Retrofitting the 33 gallon tank

2020Big4x4Horn

Reaction score
I completed this and ran it for a few months without the strap. I did not have any issues but was very concerned as there is quite a bit of tank unsupported. As I shown earlier in this thread I ended up having a friend fan and install the third strap. I can pm anyone his number as he could recreate it and ship it if needed. It’s really a matter of what you are comfortable with.
Interested

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

Rammit

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Where did you get the third bracket? Did you purchase it?
A friend of mine who is a fabricator made it and welded it in for me. I have given his number to a few people as he would make and sell if interested. I will give it to you through pm if you’d like.

jsandgren10

Reaction score
Yes I’ll sketch something up, I wasn’t getting notifications on this thread anymore so missed the requests. I’ll draw it up tomorrow and post it up.

jsandgren10

Reaction score
Attached is a sketch of a bracket idea. The second pic provided is the bracket I talk about in the sketch, its a reinforcement bracket that was for older RAM's but I used it because it gives the slot needed to hold that 3rd strap, its not my picture just one I found. But mine did come all painted black.

Now when I did mine I did it slightly different then the sketch, mainly because I didn't have time to go round up 1/2" thick flat steel. So mine I used like a 5/16" thick bar but then used a 1" angle iron place on it face and welded to it to work as a strong back. If you choose to do something like that make sure you don't make the strong back the full length as you only have a little over 1/2" of clearance between the top of the frame and body of the truck. But you will see that I ran that flat bar over the top of the frame to the outer edge of the frame and then bolted it to the angle iron on the inside.

I also welded all my brackets to the truck including the bracket from mopar since I already had the welder out. However the nice thing with the bracket is it does come with threaded inserts so you don't have to drill through the entire frame for it, just the inside frame and place the inserts, all bolts are included as well for the bracket. I recommend placing the flatbar/angle iron first and then you will want to put the mopar bracket as far up close to the angle iron as possible so that you won't end up with it being too low and the tank strap not cinching up tight.

Since I welded mine I don't have bolt sizes, but you get the idea from the sketch, but you will need to measure the frame width for bolt length, and depending on what thickness angle iron/flat bar you use will need to measure for those.

There isn't much weight on that third strap as the tank is pretty small up there but this will give that support needed. Also make sure to get a fairly long all-thread style bolt for the bolt that will be used to tighten the 3rd strap as you will need some length to tighten it up. I also got a small piece of rubber that I stuck to the bottom of the strap to ensure a tight fight.

Hope that helps and let me know if you have any questions. I don't have exact lengths so I recommend you buy longer of each and then just cut them down to size. I placed the new tank in place and took measurements and then dropped it and built the bracket.

Attachments

• TANK DRAWING.jpg
    TANK DRAWING.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 279
  • tank bracket.jpg
    tank bracket.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 272

ALT_F13

Reaction score
Hey folks,

I used a list of parts from this thread to order everything I need to swap 23gal tank to 33gal tank on my Rebel. I was driving from Washington to Utah and back over the holidays, fuel consumption when you drive 80-90mph on the interstate is not so great, and looking for good fuel prices every 2 hours was a pain.

I've ordered everything through MoparPartsGiant.com on December 15th. They already delivered all accessories (hoses, strap, evap), but fuel tank (68408875AE) and fuel pump (68409160AE) were on backorder. Almost a month later they returned to me and told me that they can't get fuel tank and fuel pump. So now I'm stuck with everything I need EXCEPT fuel tank and fuel pump.

Did you have any luck with ordering these parts elsewhere?

Rammit

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I had no problem ordering any parts. Usually a google search will find them. I used my dealer as I have been a long standing customer and get 20% discount.

ALT_F13

Reaction score
I had no problem ordering any parts. Usually a google search will find them. I used my dealer as I have been a long standing customer and get 20% discount.
I also never had problems ordering any parts. But 4 different stores in different states (including largest FCA dealer in WA) working through two different distributors confirmed that 33 gallon tank and fuel pump are on backorder with no ETA. So I have all other parts waiting in my garage to swap the tank, except the most important two parts.

Rammit

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I also never had problems ordering any parts. But 4 different stores in different states (including largest FCA dealer in WA) working through two different distributors confirmed that 33 gallon tank and fuel pump are on backorder with no ETA. So I have all other parts waiting in my garage to swap the tank, except the most important two parts.
I didn’t realize they were on back order. It’s crazy now that everything is in back order. It’s hard to get just about anything that is manufactured. Hopefully all these supply chains will be back to full capacity soon.

Malodave

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have the 33 Gallon tank in my '21 Laramie Ecodiesel. If I could have gotten it,
I would have the 50 Gallon Factory tank. Even though I have done 750 miles on
just the 33 Gallons, I wanted more range when I travel. So I am fabbing up a
Aux Tank for the bed. It is 60W x 20H x 14.5D inches and fits in the 6-4 bed. This
will give me an extra 72 gallons onboard. 105 gallons total. At 29 MPG that is
over a 3000 mile range.

I still have to fab up the mounting brackets and the filler mount ring. Then it
goes to a Welder Friend to finish. I also purchased a Factory replacement
filler neck so he can weld bungs on for the transfer lines.

Malodave

Boston

Reaction score
I have the 33 Gallon tank in my '21 Laramie Ecodiesel. If I could have gotten it,
Aux Tank for the bed. It is 60W x 20H x 14.5D inches and fits in the 6-4 bed. This
over a 3000 mile range.

Malodave

72gallons x 7lb per gallon is 500lb additional payload plus weight of tank. Leaving I’m guessing under 900lb payload remaining.

Always said to wife, if we hadn’t moved out of Florida I’d buy a Cummins 3500 which now come with 50 gallon tanks from factory so we could escape during a hurricane without having to hit gas stations

Malodave

Ram Guru
Reaction score
72gallons x 7lb per gallon is 500lb additional payload plus weight of tank. Leaving I’m guessing under 900lb payload remaining.

Always said to wife, if we hadn’t moved out of Florida I’d buy a Cummins 3500 which now come with 50 gallon tanks from factory so we could escape during a hurricane without having to hit gas stations

But it is usually just me in the truck, no Family.

Malodave

htfeep

Reaction score
I recently drove cross country near max limits and my 26 gallon tank had me looking for gas every 150 miles. I too thought of the six transfer tank, I just did mine the extremely manual way: 2 5 gallon plastic Jerry cans in the bed. Fortunately I never needed them, but it was worth the peace of mind..
I have done exactly this pulling my 24' race car trailer. The 23 gallon tank totally sucks when you get only 8.5-10 mpg. I've got all the parts now for the 33g upgrade, but am waiting for a bit warmer weather outside since my truck is too big for my garage.

NORCALBIGHORN

Reaction score
I have done exactly this pulling my 24' race car trailer. The 23 gallon tank totally sucks when you get only 8.5-10 mpg. I've got all the parts now for the 33g upgrade, but am waiting for a bit warmer weather outside since my truck is too big for my garage.
Awesome man.... any chance you could post the list of parts and also go into detail about how installation went?

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
over a 3000 mile range.

Malodave
Sweet, better have your pee-bottle up-sized :)

Dr. Jim

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I will install a pilot relief tube! In an airplane you just can't pull over on the side of the road.
You know those sunny days that you felt a drop of water? It wasn't rain.

Malodave

Urine test, anyone? ☔

Users who are viewing this thread