5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Retrofitting the 33 gallon tank

2020Big4x4Horn

Reaction score
I know he’s very busy and works a lot. Usually pretty good at responding though. Let me know if your interested and I will help if j can
Will do soon. I've got issues with a hose that is labeled with the correct part number, but its the wrong part.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

Tellsch

Reaction score
Yes, he makes the part ready to install. You have to remove the in floor storage on the driver's side for install. Part of the bracket gets welded to the frame rail there and the other part gets welded to that bracket near the drive shaft.

MaxCarnage

Reaction score
Yes, he makes the part ready to install. You have to remove the in floor storage on the driver's side for install. Part of the bracket gets welded to the frame rail there and the other part gets welded to that bracket near the drive shaft.

Okay thanks. I looked under my truck. What floor storage are you talking about? That a Rambox thing? I don't have that.

MaxCarnage

Reaction score
This one, inside the truck, driver's side rear. You need to remove that for install.

View attachment 93020

Great, thanks. Once I get the dealer to install the 33 gallon tank I'll look into this extra strap and see if I can get someone to weld it in. I appreciate the info. Wishing I had gotten the 33 gallon tank to start with! First pick up, hard lesson learned!

MaxCarnage

Reaction score
@Tellsch

Do you know if this can be done with the new 33 gallon tank already installed?

If someone can take a picture of the bracket or point me to it, if it's buried somewhere in here, lol

MaxCarnage

Reaction score

Tellsch

Reaction score
Correct, the part that connects to the frame rail is the only part welded to the truck. The other piece gets welded to the other side of that bracket. It is way overkill for the weight it supports, but better overkill than not enough!

MaxCarnage

Reaction score
Correct, the part that connects to the frame rail is the only part welded to the truck. The other piece gets welded to the other side of that bracket. It is way overkill for the weight it supports, but better overkill than not enough!

Yeah looks like it's well supported. I assume I'll need to order the 3rd bracket and bolt for this, as I assume the custom bracket doesn't come with that? Thanks very much for the help! I appreciate it!

Tellsch

Reaction score
Yes, you need the factory 3rd bracket, not the nut though. I would talk to Bobbie first, he mentioned he would get it, but I had already bought it. I ended up shipping it to him as he needs it in person to mock it up.

dts828

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Since some folks are running without the third bracket without any issues. I wonder if just changing or adding the 33 gallon skid plate with some sort of spacer /block between the tank and skid plate would be sufficient. From what I remember the skid plate should be strong enough to support the addition weight without flexing. Perhaps another option????

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

Rammit

Ram Guru
Reaction score
@Rammit Could you provide the contact information for your friend who made the mount? I'm interested in getting one as well. Also, did he use the tank installed to figure out the placement and then removed the tank to weld it?

Thanks!
He is located in SE Michigan. Someone from Flint is driving down this weekend for him to install. If you are in a reasonable driving area, he can install. It is definitely easier to install with the tank out but can be done with it in. He did mine with it in. If the tank is in, the mount needs to be welded in in two pieces. He can explain it all to you. I would recommend leaving the tank out.

Rammit

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yes, you need the factory 3rd bracket, not the nut though. I would talk to Bobbie first, he mentioned he would get it, but I had already bought it. I ended up shipping it to him as he needs it in person to mock it up.
Now that he’s done a few, he won’t need the bracket to fab. We didn’t take many measurements when he did mine. Now that there seems to be a demand for this, he now has a template.

underwatercustoms

Reaction score
I highlighted two parts that share the same part number. Do you know the correct part number? Look like the skid plate is the wrong one. Also after a search online I'm finding that the 33 gallon tank is part number 68408875AE and also listed as 68408876AE.

Just wanting to verify parts before I order everything. This was on a crew cab too correct?

Thanks
I came up with this for the trucks that dont have the provision for the third forward stap for the 33 gallon tanks. It can be installed after the tank is in place

Attachments

• 20210427_203643.jpg
    20210427_203643.jpg
    161.2 KB · Views: 199

Biesty

Reaction score
Since some folks are running without the third bracket without any issues. I wonder if just changing or adding the 33 gallon skid plate with some sort of spacer /block between the tank and skid plate would be sufficient. From what I remember the skid plate should be strong enough to support the addition weight without flexing. Perhaps another option????

No I would not recommend this. I just swapped out my 26 gallon tank for the 33 gallon tank and swapped my skid plate for the 33 gallon skid plate as well. The 33 gallon plate bolts up the same as the 26 gallon tank. there were no additional mounts to support the extra length. The plate is pretty flimsy under that section and would definitely not support any extra weight.

With that said, I cannot imagine the extra strap being needed for support purposes. I bolted mine up with the two straps initially. I could not budge the tank much more than 1/4 inch or so at that point. I also filled it full and it had no measurable difference either. I ultimately did bolt up the third strap but I wanted to test prior to see if it was really needed. Now if you ever got T-Boned on the drivers side its possible the extra strap would help keep it in place but I do not believe it is necessary at all to support any weight.

dts828

Ram Guru
Reaction score
No I would not recommend this. I just swapped out my 26 gallon tank for the 33 gallon tank and swapped my skid plate for the 33 gallon skid plate as well. The 33 gallon plate bolts up the same as the 26 gallon tank. there were no additional mounts to support the extra length. The plate is pretty flimsy under that section and would definitely not support any extra weight.

With that said, I cannot imagine the extra strap being needed for support purposes. I bolted mine up with the two straps initially. I could not budge the tank much more than 1/4 inch or so at that point. I also filled it full and it had no measurable difference either. I ultimately did bolt up the third strap but I wanted to test prior to see if it was really needed. Now if you ever got T-Boned on the drivers side its possible the extra strap would help keep it in place but I do not believe it is necessary at all to support any weight.
Good info!!!

Users who are viewing this thread