5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Retrofitting the 33 gallon tank

Dixit

Reaction score
@RJS fully agree with you on the strap there, I like that you measured it as more proof on the length of the area left unsupported. I know in that other thread where a member had the dealer do it and the techs claimed it will be fine without, I call straight BS on that. Techs dont give a crap about that part. Last thing i want is you do a hard brake and the fuel slosh slams one way and snaps the plastic in half cause of all the area unsupported.

As far the pump, Im not convinced on why they think its the same. Id like to see both side by side to see what the differences are.

As far as the reprogramming needed, only thing that needs to be done when i compared my truck config with my dads (exact same year same model Limited except his has a 33gal), only difference i saw was Fuel Capacity size which i changed on my mine to match using AlfaOBD. The fuel tank level values were not adjusted since the 26 and 33 gal tank area identical depth wise and even shape except 33gal has extra length towards the front of the car. So tank level sending unit didnt get affected or change.

Dixit

Reaction score
One other random thought, since i never bought the tank straight up new, wanted to make sure for those who do buy it, make sure the tank inside has a splash/slosh guard. When you look in the hole, about 1ft away there will be a black plastic splash guard that is held into place with some springs. My tank had it but with the massive crash IIHS performed that actually came off and i had to snap it back in place. Hopefully these tanks are coming with it since i dont specifically a part# for it, although the splash guard itself when i pulled it out did have a part number printed on it (didnt grab a picture of it unfortunately).

Rammit

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The actual gas mileage does not change. My truck still thinks I have the 23 gallon tank. The level goes down a lot slower. I believe the actual fuel that is being pumped is still monitored by the computer. The gas tank reading does not seem to matter. Also, as listed here, the 23 gallon tank uses a different fuel pump than the 33.

Smon

Reaction score
I crawled under a ecodiesel with the 33 gallon tank. No third strap near the front of the tank. So I guess I can swap mine regardless if my frame has the spot.

but I wonder if the tank can be used for a gasser and work for those with the 3rd strap mount missing?

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I crawled under a ecodiesel with the 33 gallon tank. No third strap near the front of the tank. So I guess I can swap mine regardless if my frame has the spot.

but I wonder if the tank can be used for a gasser and work for those with the 3rd strap mount missing?
At some point maybe the designers came to the conclusion a third strap was over kill. Another way to save $$$

jsandgren10

Reaction score
I have a question. Are all three stud locations in the same line? Reason I ask is they make a recall retrofit tank strap bracket for a bit older ram trucks which would take care of the slotted end on the frame rail. Then I was wondering if all three stud locations are in the same line, could maybe do a thick angle iron or something and bolt it to the 2 existing stud brackets and cantilever over to secure the third strap. Would be less fabricating than what Rammit did, his is stronger but in reality there probably isn't a ton of weight at that end, and just needs some support for sloshing around, etc.

Smon

Reaction score
At some point maybe the designers came to the conclusion a third strap was over kill. Another way to save $$$
I think the tank is shorter. Can’t go any longer due to the def tank

Rammit

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Rammit - that came out pretty good. Did your friend that fabricated the mount have drawings/measurements available in case we wanted to replicate that? Or, would you friend be willing to make the mount itself for a fee and then it could be shipped and welded by someone locally?
Unfortunately he didn’t take any measurements but I’m sure he can replicate it. I can give you his contact info if anyone is interested. PM me if wanted.

Boston

Reaction score
The actual gas mileage does not change. My truck still thinks I have the 23 gallon tank. The level goes down a lot slower. I believe the actual fuel that is being pumped is still monitored by the computer. The gas tank reading does not seem to matter. Also, as listed here, the 23 gallon tank uses a different fuel pump than the 33.

Probably a change in computer settings is needed to get it recognizing the larger tank, longer range etc.

Rammit

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Probably a change in computer settings is needed to get it recognizing the larger tank, longer range etc.
Yeah. I know there’s a way to do it, but I probably will bring it in to the dealership. Hopefully it’s pretty simple.

DSPS

Reaction score
I was planning on going the junkyard route, got excited when they said they had a 33g tank. Paid $180 for tank, 4 days later went to pick up tank and it's the same 26gal tank that I have. Oh man was I pissed. So now back to square one. My local mechanic was planning on doing the switch for $250-300. Then I decided to just go the dealership route bc it's near impossible to find a junkyard tank.

I was able to get two quotes from my local dealers, $1050 and $1325 for everything parts/labor/tax . I'm thinking I'll just have dealer do it and pay ~ double the cost of the same option if it came stock on truck. I think this is reasonable. I have an appt for 8/31 to get this done, so hopefully no surprises since i have the quotes in Emails.

I find that most dealer sve depts are clueless about this conversion and have never done one, thus will either tell you it cannot be done or give u really outlandish pricing and a wild range in pricing. The more 'guidance' you give the sve tech, the better your pricing will be. My suggestion to get the best quotes is this.

I called the sve dept, tell them my vehicle ( 19' Ram 1500 longhorn, Vin#) is optioned for the 26 or 33gal fuel tank Stocked. I have the smaller tank and want to retrofit to the bigger one. A " friend "of mine with a similar truck with the 26gal tank did this at another dealership and I have copy of his parts invoice for the retrofit. This immediately make the sve tech life much easier, now they know this can readily be done.

Then I say, I can email you the parts list from the other dealership, then you can call me or preferable email a quote for the retrofit including labor.

I then print and email a copy of the parts invoice another member posted in this thread from an Ohio dealership averaging ~ 660 dollars in parts including the fuel tank. ( Frankly knowing very well that this may not be an all inclusive list, but I know the few extra parts if needed range in price $15-40 each) .

This has worked for me both times and the quotes I have recieved seem much more reasonable than most of the quotes I'm seeing here.

W'll see how this turn out on 8/31.

I will also definitely remind them to flash the new sales code for the larger installed 125L tank (vs the 98L one I have now) AFTER installation.

On another note, for the DIY'er or those having a local mechanic doing the install, if you can't get your fuel tank at a junkyard, secure your parts from online mopar wholesalers ( BAM/ Avondale etc) vs your local dealerships. Or better yet, see if your can get your local dealership parts dept to price match the online dealers (eliminating your shipping/freight costs).

Example below.
Moparwholeparts.com (avondale)
68408875AD 33 Gallon Fuel Tank $ 298.59
68307831AA Vapor Tube $20.88
68312139AB Vent Hose $44.52
68312140AC Fuel Return Hose $34.58
6104717AA Hex Flange Lock Nut $2.71
52029908AB Purge Hose $35.31
52030443AB Fuel Line Bundle $45.93
52029888AB Vapor Canister $110.43
52029909AC Filter To Canister Hose $14.51

Last edited:

2wd

Reaction score
Prices continuing to drop for the 33 gallon tank.

68408875ad
$240 on most sites, with $10 shipping (wow!)

Would love to do this but I don't have the bracket for the 3rd strap.

Rammit

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I was at my dealer today to try to get the computer updated to reflect the 33 gallon tank. Unsurprisingly, they couldn’t do it and said they could not find a sales code to add. Has anyone successfully done it and have any info I can try ?

DSPS

Reaction score
Prices continuing to drop for the 33 gallon tank.

68408875ad
$240 on most sites, with $10 shipping (wow!)

Would love to do this but I don't have the bracket for the 3rd strap.
Great Find!

This is simply amazing, just several days ago, it was over $380 just for shipping. Now BAM Wholesalers have 33gal tank for $241 with just $16 for shipping..

So you could get the tank shipped to you for ~$250!Add in the accessory parts u need if you have an existing 26gall and everything shipped for less than $400.

When I was looking for a junkyard tank, my mechanic quoted me $250-300 to install the tank. Then you get the ALFAOBD /obd reader/security bypass combo online for ~$130 to change tank size to 125L from 98L.

You are done with the retrofit for $800 TOTAL!

This is Absolutely nuts pricing!. Some folks are quoted $800 just for the tank from dealerships. It almost seem that this a mistake price or a mistake freight price that folks can take advantage of. Given the fuel tank size of almost 6ft long, weight, unusual shape, freight cost alone should be >$300.

Granted the damn tank should be priced ~ under $100 from jumpstart, but that’s another story ... it’s really only just a big plastic container.

BUT man, I would buy this IMMEDIATELY If I didn’t just purchase this tank from my dealership ( $466+ tax) and got it installed yesterday.

Then I would figure out the bracket situation later... so many have stocked Trucks w/ 33gallon tanks equipped with only 2 straps and have no issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

2wd

Reaction score
Then I would figure out the bracket situation later... so many have stocked Trucks w/ 33gallon tanks equipped with only 2 straps and have no issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can you elaborate on this? Are you saying folks are retrofitting with only 2 straps and it's fine or from the factory they are abandoning the 3rd strap on new trucks?

Users who are viewing this thread