5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Retrofitting the 33 gallon tank

Dixit

Reaction score
@Apexbasher what does it look like when you say two threaded studs in the body? So you dont see this bracket at all like referenced (which is of my truck that Rammit circled the bracket on). The threaded stud that sticks straight down (top left of the image) is the stud for the fuel strap. The T shaped slot near the middle bottom of that image is where one of the fuel strap goes into. Just wondering what you have.

Attachments

• Bracket.png
    Bracket.png
    873.2 KB · Views: 355

Apexbasher

Reaction score
@Apexbasher what does it look like when you say two threaded studs in the body? So you dont see this bracket at all like referenced (which is of my truck that Rammit circled the bracket on). The threaded stud that sticks straight down (top left of the image) is the stud for the fuel strap. The T shaped slot near the middle bottom of that image is where one of the fuel strap goes into. Just wondering what you have.

From your picture I assume the bracket is welded onto the frame at the T shaped slot and is simply a floating arm the tank is snugged up to with a stud at the end for the other end of the strap that goes underneath the tank. Therefore the entire tank is only attached to the frame, NOT the bed/body.

The studs I am seeing under my truck are M6 in size and are attached to the bed, NOT the frame. (Picture taken from driver's side) Studs # 1 and #2 are forward of the front end of the 26 gallon tank, and #3 is a few inches aft of the same reference point. All are in line above the propeller shaft.

So, considering the tank should only be attached to the frame, these three studs are largely irrelevant. What we need instead is a design template to fabricate the hanger bracket which we then (wincing hard) weld/bolt onto the frame ourselves. Fun.

Attachments

• 3 studs.jpg
    3 studs.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 286

Dixit

Reaction score
Yea those are not it. That’s too close to the driveshaft. That pic I sent was basically directly under the drivers side frame rail from under the rear seat side basically. No clue what those studs are you are showing.

And correct the tank floats with the fuel straps and is connected to the rails. Not the bed. I need to get under mine to validate that.

Rammit

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Looking at the chassis from the launch, there are at least two straps to brakes on the chassis securing the tank.
Securing it to the chassis is much better than body. The chassis is far less likely to bend. https://images.app.goo.gl/R3df3aqAVAae82Z28
That’s a great pic but it doesn’t show the third strap needed for the 33 gallon tank. The third strap is welded to the driver side frame rail and cantilevers our over the tank.

Attachments

• 6F5E035A-6671-4E0C-BBFA-E6141067A333.jpeg
    6F5E035A-6671-4E0C-BBFA-E6141067A333.jpeg
    111.5 KB · Views: 202

Moparian

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I looked under my truck while we were installing the lowering kit and mine has the provision for the 3rd strap. Eventually I'll get around to upgrading as the extra 7 gallons would be nice.

Apexbasher

Reaction score
I looked under my truck while we were installing the lowering kit and mine has the provision for the 3rd strap. Eventually I'll get around to upgrading as the extra 7 gallons would be nice.
So what is the build level/item that will indicate which trucks got the frame with the third mounting point? Mine doesn't have it, but others do. There has got to be something we can identify as the key to whether this is a simple bolt on mod, OR it's a fabrication.
For example: I see from Moparian's signature that he has a 2020 4X2 3.92 (mine is 2019 4x4 3.21), could one of these be the culprit?

jthorn75

Reaction score
mine is a 2019 laramie sport in texas and it has it. I dont know why its like this, maybe its whatever they have in the factory

Apexbasher

Reaction score
Is it just me or am I seeing a trend emerging?
4x2
Is this the missing link? Are we 4x4 guys screwed because our frames don’t get that hanger unless we order the 33 gal tank from the gitgo?

Last edited:

jthorn75

Reaction score
lol i just went to the dealership and they said 4400 dollars to do the swap and 680 is labor... haha

Dixit

Reaction score
Was your original tank a 23 or 26 gallon tank? Did you need to order any more parts besides the list on the attached file?
Rammit came from a 23, I came from a 26 when we did this conversion. My parts list is different because of that. I listed in previous posts exactly all the items I needed based on what I got from the junkyard (Tank, EVAP canister, etc).

Rammit

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Was your original tank a 23 or 26 gallon tank? Did you need to order any more parts besides the list on the attached file?
As Dixit stated, mine was a 23 gallon tank. All the parts I needed and used are detailed in the thread. The only issue I ran into was the third mounting bracket support was missing on my truck. I hope to have that resolved soon.

Will9621

Reaction score
Rammit came from a 23, I came from a 26 when we did this conversion. My parts list is different because of that. I listed in previous posts exactly all the items I needed based on what I got from the junkyard (Tank, EVAP canister, etc).
I have looked high and low for a used 33 gallon tank and I finally located a 33 gallon tank in a junkyard and the junkyard told me that they can't ship a used fuel tank. I even asked them to purge the tank but they said that there policy is not to ship a used fuel tank. The junkyard is 900 miles away or I would have made arrangements to pick it up.
I will continue to look for a used tank for another month and if I can't locate one I will buy new.

Dixit

Reaction score
I have looked high and low for a used 33 gallon tank and I finally located a 33 gallon tank in a junkyard and the junkyard told me that they can't ship a used fuel tank. I even asked them to purge the tank but they said that there policy is not to ship a used fuel tank. The junkyard is 900 miles away or I would have made arrangements to pick it up.
I will continue to look for a used tank for another month and if I can't locate one I will buy new.

Seems like their own policy. Mine clearly shipped it to me. So I guess keep looking. Tank isn’t small by any means. It’s like 5-6ft long. Mine was about 200miles away and guy was making a delivery to a body shop about 15mins from me so it worked out that he just threw it on the truck and I met him to get it.

Cambie31

Reaction score
ADMINS if this is not the appropriate thread please redirect me.

Hello all,

I just got back into the RAM game last week. Unfortunately, I already have an issue. I bought a 2020 Ram Bighorn 1500 new body 4x4. Here's the kicker, The physical window sticker showed a 26-gallon tank. However, the digital stickers, dealers build sheet, and VIN lookup shows that my truck has a 23-gallon truck (I intentionally bought this truck for 26-gallon tank, not a 23-gallon). I took pictures of the tank and went back to the dealership to clarify the issue. The dealership staff also tried to verify and they also found the same discrepancies from one source to the next. They looked at the pictures and lifted the truck to look at the tank. The dealership was not able to verify the tank, all the part numbers (visible numbers on the tank) did not appear in their system. Likewise, I have not been able to verify the part numbers on Google or any other parts site.

I am looking for assistance in identifying the tank size.

There is a barcode sticker with:
TT4FS0350A0250

Another sticker with:
P68454415AC
TT48Q0350A0250
415AC

The tank itself is stamped with:
FCA PN - 52029885AC
PO PN - 4103201AC
>PE-HD, PE-LD, EVOH<
Cavity #1 22191N

Pretty sure it is a 23-gallon tank, given that driving it till the fuel tank read low (pretty sure it was empty) and refilling the tank netted only 22-gallons before the fuel pump safety cut off (Plus a couple of handle pumps over). One staff member attempted to say that even run bone dry and refilled that tanks would only fill up so much and would never actually fill up completely to marketed number (I call BS on that). Even so, that means a 26-gallon would actually fill to between 24-25 and a 23-gallon actual fill would be 21-22.

Any help and suggestions are greatly appreciated. I was hoping with others having known tank sizes could provide accurate part numbers for the 23 and 26-gallon tanks.

Dixit

Reaction score
Those part numbers don’t bring up anything. FCA themselves should know what it means.

Those don’t match my 26gal tank I removed either.

Adjustments.jpg
Adjustments.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread