5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Removing cell modem?

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Thanks, I do recall seeing those screws up top. I would of found out real quick when I gave it a tug.
I think ill give this a try in a couple of weeks and see what I can figure out with the box

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Like I said in my very first response, there is a video on line. Just search it.

Nascar Tommy

My other Ram is a Dodge.
Site Supporter
Reaction score
That’s not the point. Two wrongs make a right. “I don’t do bad things so I’m not worried about it” is frankly the laziest most complacent argument ever. The 4th amendment is for everyone and if you don’t defend it you lose it.

My cell phone is not the same. I can turn it off. I can put it in airplane mode and still use the tools on it. I can install a vpn proxy on my cell phone and block traffic I want to block and even at the OS level I can block network access to specific apps and features. I have no choice and no control over Uconnect and it functions like a black box with no documentation.

all I’m doing is creating my own “opt out” which should be part of the product.

when I lived in the Soviet Union “if you have nothing to hide you won’t mind if we look” was the pretext used by the KGB to do whatever they wanted to whoever they wanted. It’s mid-boggling to me that lazy complacent Americans welcome this and even make excuses for it. You have no idea what you’re asking for.

Maybe I take it more seriously because I had to EARN being called an American.
Well put.

John Galt

Reaction score
Like I said in my very first response, there is a video on line. Just search it.
Been searching both here and other forums….so far here’s the sum total of what I’ve found

post #1: hey has anybody disabled the cell modem in uconnect
next 10 pages: you’re stupid for even thinking about doing this. Just let big brother have your data and don’t worry about it. Your thinking is bad and you should feel bad. Specious arguments ensue but no useful info.

I DID find this:

however despite a reference to “See video below on how to remove the cell modem built into your car“ there is no video.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Been searching both here and other forums….so far here’s the sum total of what I’ve found

post #1: hey has anybody disabled the cell modem in uconnect
next 10 pages: you’re stupid for even thinking about doing this. Just let big brother have your data and don’t worry about it. Your thinking is bad and you should feel bad. Specious arguments ensue but no useful info.

I DID find this:

however despite a reference to “See video below on how to remove the cell modem built into your car“ there is no video.
I think that's gen 4.

I saw a video where there was that chip on a uconnect4 on a ram 1500 classic. I don't think anyone has cracked open a uconnect 5 unit.
On uconnect4 the modem was inside the head unit I believe but I think it's in the telematics box now.

John Galt

Reaction score
I think that's gen 4.

I saw a video where there was that chip on a uconnect4 on a ram 1500 classic. I don't think anyone has cracked open a uconnect 5 unit.
On uconnect4 the modem was inside the head unit I believe but I think it's in the telematics box now.
Yup. I pulled it on my Durango UC4….and it can go right back in so it was non-permanent!
I was wondering if I can yank the telematics box entirely.

Last edited:

John Galt

Reaction score
I mean maybe.

It looks like the GPS listed on the box diagram is NOT the truck's nav gps, but a different GPS for just the unit.
They consolidated all the things i don’t like into one module…I guess that’s convenient. It also looks Ike trucks sold in Mexico do not come with this “feature” so it may be possible to disable it via AlfaODB.

before removing the cell modul in my UC4 I was able to get Sirius Guardian to de-provision it and was able to verify that the cell modem had “no service“. Wonder if Sirius still “owns“ the cell modem service in UC5.

John Galt

Reaction score
if it still looks like that disconnecting gps and cell antenna is probably that’s needed. Don’t even have to do it at the box itself if those wires are routed somewhere easier to get to…..headliner maybe?

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
if it still looks like that disconnecting gps and cell antenna is probably that’s needed. Don’t even have to do it at the box itself if those wires are routed somewhere easier to get to…..headliner maybe?
Just disconnecting an antenna is not enough to stop tracking. Might reduce it by 90% sure, but if you are going that far ay as well make it impossible imo.
GPS and XM for the radio are in the shark fin I know that much.

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Disconnect everything from the TBM2.
If you still want GPS and SXM to function, buy one of these extension cables:
Bingfu Fakra Z Male to Male Vehicle Car Antenna Adapter Cable 30cm 12 inch for Car Stereo Android Head Unit GPS Navigation FM AM Radio Sirius XM Satellite Radio 4G LTE TEL Telematics Bluetooth Module https://a.co/d/5zKqVCg

Plug one end into the brown fakra connector that was plugged into the TBM, and plug the other end into the blue fakra connector that was plugged into the TBM.
Tape back the rest of the connectors.

Since you are unplugging the TBM from the bus, but it’s still enabled in the BCM, you might get random Uconnect box errors that pop up on the radio screen.
Use AlfaOBD to set all of the ECUCONFIG 18 settings to “NO”, and disable P/T Chassis Net: EAM/TBM Emergency Assistance Module.

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Disconnecting the antennas alone will definitely not stop anything, only slow down a little.

John Galt

Reaction score
Disconnect everything from the TBM2.
If you still want GPS and SXM to function, buy one of these extension cables:
Bingfu Fakra Z Male to Male Vehicle Car Antenna Adapter Cable 30cm 12 inch for Car Stereo Android Head Unit GPS Navigation FM AM Radio Sirius XM Satellite Radio 4G LTE TEL Telematics Bluetooth Module https://a.co/d/5zKqVCg

Plug one end into the brown fakra connector that was plugged into the TBM, and plug the other end into the blue fakra connector that was plugged into the TBM.
Tape back the rest of the connectors.

Since you are unplugging the TBM from the bus, but it’s still enabled in the BCM, you might get random Uconnect box errors that pop up on the radio screen.
Use AlfaOBD to set all of the ECUCONFIG 18 settings to “NO”, and disable P/T Chassis Net: EAM/TBM Emergency Assistance Module.
This is exactly what I’m looking for!

it would be great if there was a video out there of the process.

would disabling with AlfaODB be enough to turn it off or if just disables the alerts?

for the cable, are you just looping the cable between 2 ports on the TBM2 or am I misunderstanding?

Last edited:

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
This is exactly what I’m looking for!

it would be great if there was a video out there of the process.

would disabling with AlfaODB be enough to turn it off or if just disables the alerts?

for the cable, are you just looping the cable between 2 ports on the TBM2 or am I misunderstanding?
You're bypassing the TBM2 with the cable.
Antenna cable comes into the TBM2 from the roof, antenna cable goes from TBM2 into the head unit.

John Galt

Reaction score
You're bypassing the TBM2 with the cable.
Antenna cable comes into the TBM2 from the roof, antenna cable goes from TBM2 into the head unit.
Oh I see. you’re connecting the two cables that plugged into the TBM to each other.

Users who are viewing this thread