5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Removing cell modem?

John Galt

Reaction score
Hey, I’m about to get a 2023 Ram with the 12” UC5 system. I found a video a few years ago on how to remove the cell modem from the 8.4” UC4 (Sprint) system and it worked great. I’m now wondering if such a procedure exists for the UC5 systems….

from why I’ve been able to find, in UC5 the cell connectivity is handled by the Telematics module. Is that the case and if so, where is it and can it be removed? It looks like some trim levels don’t even come with it so and it’s optional, which in theory means removable.

Has anyone done it? Where is the Telematics module?

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Hey, I’m about to get a 2023 Ram with the 12” UC5 system. I found a video a few years ago on how to remove the cell modem from the 8.4” UC4 (Sprint) system and it worked great. I’m now wondering if such a procedure exists for the UC5 systems….

from why I’ve been able to find, in UC5 the cell connectivity is handled by the Telematics module. Is that the case and if so, where is it and can it be removed? It looks like some trim levels don’t even come with it so and it’s optional, which in theory means removable.

Has anyone done it? Where is the Telematics module?
You may have to search, but I saw a post a month or so ago, where somebody had a video of the process. Try Youtube, it may be posted there also, since he did video.

Scap

Ram Guru
Reaction score
UC5 is a separate module behind the upper dash glove box.

I pulled my UC4 modem, but it is now back in because you cannot update without the modem. Also, GPS stopped working without cell towers to ping...which makes no sense to me as GPS is older tech.

John Galt

Reaction score
UC5 is a separate module behind the upper dash glove box.

I pulled my UC4 modem, but it is now back in because you cannot update without the modem. Also, GPS stopped working without cell towers to ping...which makes no sense to me as GPS is older tech.
I’ve seen some references to it and found a post….but even though he says “linked in this post” there’s no video linked….that’s exactly what I’m looking for.

Scap

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’ve seen some references to it and found a post….but even though he says “linked in this post” there’s no video linked….that’s exactly what I’m looking for.
I've seen pics posted, and iirc it was on this forum. Don't know where to find them though.

John Galt

Reaction score
Well…..the 12” UC5 section is only 6 pages long. If it was here I could brute force it.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
It's in the dash. It's a box that accepts a few connections
I think it's on every trim level, but some had it "deleted" due to "chip shortages".

@Jimmy07 gave me some pointers a while ago but he could only speculate on how things would work trying to disable and or remove connections would be.
Sounded like it was possible to remove the cell connection but keep the GPS, possibly losing Sirus radio (which I don't use) in the process.

It's on my list to do, but low compared to everything else I have been doing. My current project is a dead pedal.
I want to disable this so I can get performance pages that exist and work on the truck I purchased, and NOT have Ram rip them out of my working radio once it connects to their network.

One thing to keep in mind, at least on 2022s they gave you a 10 year "trial" of Ram's version of lojack. I saved a decent amount on my car insurance for having it. In theory they wouldn't know if it was disconnected or not working but does give me every so slightly piece of mind, kind of a trade off for 10 years.

John Galt

Reaction score
Yeah when I pulled the card on my 8.4 I lost XM services (but not XM) and all the “connected” BS….which is exactly what I want to lose. GPS is nice to have but honestly who uses in+car navigation or radio anymore, especially since CarPlay displays on both the instrument cluster and HUD with UC5? now that CarPlay is wireless, it doesn’t even require effort to not use the in-car navigation. that’s why they star adding to popular packages and charging for it as a “package” cause otherwise nobody would spring for it.

Last edited:

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It's on my list to do, but low compared to everything else I have been doing. My current project is a dead pedal.

I'd like to have a dead pedal also. Or floor filler, or something. As big as the space is down there, it could double as a storage bin. But in any case, I just find no comfortable place to put my left foot. Let us know how that works out.

John Galt

Reaction score
I'd like to have a dead pedal also. Or floor filler, or something. As big as the space is down there, it could double as a storage bin. But in any case, I just find no comfortable place to put my left foot. Let us know how that works out.
Just wedge it up on the dash like Dale Earnhardt used to.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I don't think carplay shows on the hud. Also if the gps Antena is disconnected the phone might think it's still working and show a poor signal (phones use the built in gps when connected with carplay)

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Why would you do do this?
Privacy, stopping "updates", stop being able to have your truck gps tracked and info given to any government agency who asks or getting it leaked by Ram, removal of features remotely without you knowing.
Probbly more reasons.

John Galt

Reaction score
Privacy, stopping "updates", stop being able to have your truck gps tracked and info given to any government agency who asks or getting it leaked by Ram, removal of features remotely without you knowing.
Probbly more reasons.
how about opting out of having a mechanism by which your vehicle can be disabled remotely by someone who doesn’t actually own it?

John Galt

Reaction score
I don't think carplay shows on the hud. Also if the gps Antena is disconnected the phone might think it's still working and show a poor signal (phones use the built in gps when connected with carplay)
Ive read that directions do. I haven’t gotten mine yet so can’t confirm.

John Galt

Reaction score
Why would you do do this?

the real question is why would everyone else NOT?

the cell modem connection allows a third party to:
1) track you
2) disable your vehicle
3) listen in on conversations in your car
4) add/remove/change features and how they behave without agreement (cause they just use the ol’ “by continuing to use your own vehicle you agree”…..)

isn’t that enough?

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
the real question is why would everyone else NOT?

the cell modem connection allows a third party to:
1) track you
2) disable your vehicle
3) listen in on conversations in your car
4) add/remove/change features and how they behave without agreement (cause they just use the ol’ “by continuing to use your own vehicle you agree”…..)

isn’t that enough?
Your cell phone is already tracking you and listening in. Are you a drug dealer? I don't do anything that I'm worried about anyone hearing. The chances of anyone wanting to listen to me over the other 50 million cars is pretty slim.

John Galt

Reaction score
Your cell phone is already tracking you and listening in. Are you a drug dealer? I don't do anything that I'm worried about anyone hearing. The chances of anyone wanting to listen to me over the other 50 million cars is pretty slim.
That’s not the point. Two wrongs make a right. “I don’t do bad things so I’m not worried about it” is frankly the laziest most complacent argument ever. The 4th amendment is for everyone and if you don’t defend it you lose it.

My cell phone is not the same. I can turn it off. I can put it in airplane mode and still use the tools on it. I can install a vpn proxy on my cell phone and block traffic I want to block and even at the OS level I can block network access to specific apps and features. I have no choice and no control over Uconnect and it functions like a black box with no documentation.

all I’m doing is creating my own “opt out” which should be part of the product.

when I lived in the Soviet Union “if you have nothing to hide you won’t mind if we look” was the pretext used by the KGB to do whatever they wanted to whoever they wanted. It’s mid-boggling to me that lazy complacent Americans welcome this and even make excuses for it. You have no idea what you’re asking for.

Maybe I take it more seriously because I had to EARN being called an American.

Last edited:

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
how about opting out of having a mechanism by which your vehicle can be disabled remotely by someone who doesn’t actually own it?
Yes I said that lol
One thing to keep in mind, at least on 2022s they gave you a 10 year "trial" of Ram's version of lojack. I saved a decent amount on my car insurance for having it. In theory they wouldn't know if it was disconnected or not working but does give me every so slightly piece of mind, kind of a trade off for 10 years.
Make sure you get your insurance discount before you go yanking it.
You can get proof of it by logging onto your Mopar account on a web browser under subscriptions.
Those who would sacrifice freedom and privacy deserve neither...
The boiling pot with the frog...

Users who are viewing this thread