5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Remote Mount Oil Filter

Talon4U2NV

Reaction score
No interference at all with the active air dam. Installed mine over 2 years ago and am so glad I did, as it makes the oil change effortless. As far as draining the oil; I use a fluid extraction pump and suck the oil out through the dipstick tube. Absolutely no mess anywhere...
I'm an anti extractor guy... but I blame that on my roots lol....

Do you have any pics of the remote mount in the shudder area by chance?

31RamIt

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Does anyone have a photo with the PacBrake system installed?

Talon4U2NV

Reaction score
.. there is some in this thread, but looked like the one i am thinking of has the active flap/shudder part removed.

Big White RAM

Reaction score
I'm an anti extractor guy... but I blame that on my roots lol....

Do you have any pics of the remote mount in the shudder area by chance?
I'll take a picture tomorrow. I just finished installing the RAM airflow cai today and will take the photo from the top looking down since the original air filter box is now removed and there is loads of room on the passenger side.

Big White RAM

Reaction score
The filter is mounted directly under the lower Radiator hose using a bracket secured to factory holes in the frame so there is no drilling required. The filter is not mounted anywhere near the active shutters in the front of the grille.

Attachments

• 20220525_115133.jpg
    20220525_115133.jpg
    156.4 KB · Views: 210

31RamIt

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The filter is mounted directly under the lower Radiator hose using a bracket secured to factory holes in the frame so there is no drilling required. The filter is not mounted anywhere near the active shutters in the front of the grille.
Well that looks far more convenient

Talon4U2NV

Reaction score
I’m really tempted to order this and fight the clean up mess once.

Seems quality and well thought out.

Thank you for posting a picture.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Big White RAM

Reaction score
I’m really tempted to order this and fight the clean up mess once.

Seems quality and well thought out.

Thank you for posting a picture.

I would highly recommend it. It's made well and I've had no problems with it whatsoever, and I don't dread the annual oil change. Lol

Talon4U2NV

Reaction score
I would highly recommend it. It's made well and I've had no problems with it whatsoever, and I don't dread the annual oil change. Lol
how tight was the install above the diff? I have access to a lift if I coordinate it, was hoping to crawl under with the truck on ramps in the drive though and knock it out.

Big White RAM

Reaction score
how tight was the install above the diff? I have access to a lift if I coordinate it, was hoping to crawl under with the truck on ramps in the drive though and knock it out.
Super easy. I installed it lying on my back with the truck jacked up slightly. Install the fittings and hoses before attaching the base to the oil filter mount, then tighten the center bolt just as you would the oil filter.

Talon4U2NV

Reaction score
Just ordered it. I’m due for an oil change as the oils is just bulk from work when I bought it. The oil life gauge says 50%. But I’m not driving it out that far. I have close to 4k miles on it since I picked the truck up a couple months ago. I’ll make the mess once and then be on east street. Looking to add a EZDrain plug but figure that isn’t near as bad whipping the sway bar down for this round.

31RamIt

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just ordered it. I’m due for an oil change as the oils is just bulk from work when I bought it. The oil life gauge says 50%. But I’m not driving it out that far. I have close to 4k miles on it since I picked the truck up a couple months ago. I’ll make the mess once and then be on east street. Looking to add a EZDrain plug but figure that isn’t near as bad whipping the sway bar down for this round.

Fumoto for the win.

Big White RAM

Reaction score
Just ordered it.
emoji1362.png
I’m due for an oil change as the oils is just bulk from work when I bought it. The oil life gauge says 50%. But I’m not driving it out that far. I have close to 4k miles on it since I picked the truck up a couple months ago. I’ll make the mess once and then be on east street. Looking to add a EZDrain plug but figure that isn’t near as bad whipping the sway bar down for this round.

You're going to love it! I did buy a EZ Drain plug but decided against it as I use an oil extractor instead... Use the Zip lock bag method when removing the filter and make sure to drape the front axle with plastic in case you do dump the filter and get oil everywhere.. Also, it's a good idea to put a large sheet of cardboard under the truck to catch any splashes as it just makes cleanup easier... keep us posted on your install...

Moonlightboater

Reaction score
After having shoulder surgery 5 weeks ago, I thought I was strong enough to do it with one arm. I drove the truck on ramps and proceeded removing 13mm drain plug and with tin foil over the sway bar all of the oil made it into the large drain pan. I had watched YouTube Videos where once on ramp you can reach filter from front. Well at 6'3" I could not sit up behind bumper as the Video showed. Then there was no way I could lean on my one good arm and lift bad arm to access filter. Called my friend over and after talking, I forgot all about the 1 gallon bag, so needless to say it was a mess everywhere. I will be fully healed for the next oil change!

Talon4U2NV

Reaction score
oh and they are now 17, 14 and 12... the 14yr old likes to hang with dad.. others are to worried about tick tock and other things that do not matter in the world

Last edited:

Talon4U2NV

Reaction score
Well. It’s on. Took a bit longer than expected mostly due to the clean up; but it is in. Haven't really noticed a pressure drop. (never watched it much to be honest) After a couple days of driving I will recheck the hoses.

The ones at the OEM filter adapter location are a pain to get to. But slow and steady wins the race. Like I said; After a few more heat cycles and some drive time I’ll check all the fittings. Not seeing any leaks at this time; but for some peace of mind.

I’ll put a photo in here.

I’m going to do a bit more clean up but I wrapped up right as a downpour hit. So fashionable timing to finish it up.

179fd50514453ec45d3e0ffd9547bfca.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread