5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Remote Mount Oil Filter

jljbtm

Reaction score
Sweet, it says some oil pans have a recess and may need an adapter?

Rsorrell2

Reaction score
Two things. First since on the RAM app I see that FCA is still offering full syn oil changes for about $50.00 each (I have even seen 3 for $100). At that price I can’t and won’t do it myself. Yes it does involve going to the dealer but usually takes less than an hour.

second have you looked into Oil udder . Looks like a good product.

Mountain Whiskey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Changed my oil for the 2nd or 3rd time this weekend and even though I tried to be careful I still got oil everywhere..

I ordered the PACBRAKE Relocation Kit https://pacbrake.com/product/hp10363/ I'll install it during my next oil change and post some pictures. I should've ordered this sooner.
How long are the lines in that kit? I would like to relocate to be accessible under the hood.

Big White RAM

Reaction score
Changed my oil for the 2nd or 3rd time this weekend and even though I tried to be careful I still got oil everywhere..

I ordered the PACBRAKE Relocation Kit https://pacbrake.com/product/hp10363/ I'll install it during my next oil change and post some pictures. I should've ordered this sooner.
It's a very well made kit. I installed mine last November and am very impressed with it.

Racerb0y

Reaction score
yup, the Derale kit is crap. Mine started to leak after awhile, hose clamps are micky mouse, the female screw in fittings dont fit snug, you end up with more teflon tape or whatever your using to make a tighter fit. Granted, it only cost $55.00. and I could go the extra mile and piece meal together better AN fttings or what not. But, im gonna go with the PAC brake HP10363 . Much better product for the money $250 . Not worry about leaks anymore. I wonder though, will a FL1A motorcraft spin on the fitting?

Racerb0y

Reaction score
Got my filter relocation kit installed today. Not a terribly hard thing to do. I will post pics and part numbers with this post. Mounted the filter towards the front and it gives me PLENTY of room to get to it easily. I used the toggle bolts to install versus the screws that came with the kit. Bolts were bought at Lowes. Finished the job up and 0 leaks. Will keep an eye on it the next few weeks to just to make sure there are no problems.

20200222_142606.jpg 20200222_142636.jpg 20200222_145436.jpg 20200222_155039.jpg 20200222_163622.jpg 20200222_163750.jpg

This is a post I made a while back. Still a LOT better than getting oil all over the place when dropping the filter. I did experience a small leak since I posted this, couple of turns on the hose clamp and all good.
I have the same kit, the only issue? Those clamps do not, I repeat, do not stay tight. The rubber hose is not the right type for that type of fluid. It began to degrade over time. the hose became hard, causing the clamps to loosen. You'll find your self constantly checking and tightening the 8mm bolt on the clamp whereas it will eventually bite deep in the rubber.

Ronkartz72

Reaction score
I have the same kit, the only issue? Those clamps do not, I repeat, do not stay tight. The rubber hose is not the right type for that type of fluid. It began to degrade over time. the hose became hard, causing the clamps to loosen. You'll find your self constantly checking and tightening the 8mm bolt on the clamp whereas it will eventually bite deep in the rubber.
I swapped out the hoses with some high pressure hydraulic hoses that I found on Amazon.

Racerb0y

Reaction score
I ran a filter relocation kit on my 2017 Rebel (Trans-dapt 1127), and I was planning to put one on my 2020 Laramie. I did install one on the wife's Limited, but I had problems getting the fittings to completely seal, even with teflon tape, so I went back to a normal filter setup for that truck too. I've decided to stick with the factory setup on both trucks. I change oil once a year on each truck. I can live with cleaning up the mess twice a year versus potentially destroying an engine. I know the likelihood is slim, but why introduce a failure point for a little convenience. Whe whole time I owned that Rebel I was a little anxious about a hose or fitting failing. I guess I'd rather have the peace of mind of knowing that if the filter itself fails, at least it will be covered under warranty. But if something in the relocation kit fails, any repairs are on my dime. After the power train warranty expires, maybe I'll consider a remote filter again.

For anyone who decides to install one of these, I agree with Big3MG, go with high quality hoses and fittings. I'd also suggest to buy one of the better kits, and don't cheap out on a kit like Trans-dapt.
or Derale, hose clamps on rubber lines, phooey!

66Fuelie

Reaction score
So is there any chance they would void the warranty because of installing a remote filter?
Everyone on this board has me a little gun shy with FCA warranty.
Tom

GKIII

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So is there any chance they would void the warranty because of installing a remote filter?
Everyone on this board has me a little gun shy with FCA warranty.
Tom
In my opinion this is one of those things where they might give you a really hard time about it, but you would likely win in a lawsuit (unless it was the remote filter was the direct cause of the engine failure...say a leak in one of the lines leading to oil starvation or something).

Is the easier oil filter change worth the potential asspain on the off-chance your motor has a problem? That's up to you.

Stryker6040

Reaction score
I am considering getting the pacbrake oil filter relocation kit, does anyone know if there are any oil filter protection sleeves out there? I know for some aftermarket diesel fuel filter relocation kits out there came with like a foam/rubber sleeve you could slide on the filter.

Talon4U2NV

Reaction score
Older post; but I'm really considering putting the PacBrake filter relocation kit on my Ram. Does it clear that front active flap ok? I had not been able to verify that it does or does not.. I have been tempted to put a light bar in there as i have the brackets etc to do so. Just not sold on that. So my flap is still there (don't want to monkey with a CEL etc).

And for the drain valve; I have been eying the EX drain EZ108; ironically the wifes Grand Cherokee would used the same and I may do one on it as well.. would make it super easy on her jeep... and would be nice as i change mine at temp as well. Just was not sure if that cleared the sway bar easy enough to be able to put the hose adapter on no issues.

Big White RAM

Reaction score
Older post; but I'm really considering putting the PacBrake filter relocation kit on my Ram. Does it clear that front active flap ok? I had not been able to verify that it does or does not.. I have been tempted to put a light bar in there as i have the brackets etc to do so. Just not sold on that. So my flap is still there (don't want to monkey with a CEL etc).

And for the drain valve; I have been eying the EX drain EZ108; ironically the wifes Grand Cherokee would used the same and I may do one on it as well.. would make it super easy on her jeep... and would be nice as i change mine at temp as well. Just was not sure if that cleared the sway bar easy enough to be able to put the hose adapter on no issues.
No interference at all with the active air dam. Installed mine over 2 years ago and am so glad I did, as it makes the oil change effortless. As far as draining the oil; I use a fluid extraction pump and suck the oil out through the dipstick tube. Absolutely no mess anywhere...

Users who are viewing this thread