5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Remote Mount Oil Filter

A-TEAM

Reaction score
Little by little.

Attachments

• IMG_3514.jpeg
    IMG_3514.jpeg
    165.4 KB · Views: 62

31RamIt

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Where’s the best place to buy one of these kits?

A-TEAM

Reaction score
Well got the kit installed today! Install went good, 3 hours start to finish with changing the oil included. This was done in my garage on ramps not even a lift. Not as much as a drop of oil leaking anywhere. Used loctite 545 on all the fittings, as I only wanted to do this once. Ive started using 545 on hydraulic fittings when installing autopilots and havent had a leak since, so I trust the stuff and can recommend it. I also have a “feel” for how tight things should be since I have experience with hydraulic fittings so I didn’t bother with a torque wrench. The engine adapter block is the most difficult to install the fittings due to tool clearance and I found a crows foot wrench absolutely necessary to get the job complete. You can torque the side fitting out of the truck but once the block is on you need to do the center fitting and two hose fittings in tight quarters. For the lines I used a crows foot, an extension and a ratchet to get the lines. The filter adaptor is the easy part, as its out in the open and standard wrenches can be used. Overall I am very impressed with the kit and the quality of parts, and would recommend. The installation is not bad if you have the tools and know how but I’d rate it a 4 out of 5 difficulty level for a DIY project.

Purchased on Amazon as well from the pacbrake store.

Attachments

• IMG_3550.jpeg
    IMG_3550.jpeg
    146.1 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_3553.jpeg
    IMG_3553.jpeg
    149.9 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_3551.jpeg
    IMG_3551.jpeg
    136.4 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_3554.jpeg
    IMG_3554.jpeg
    128.2 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_3556.jpeg
    IMG_3556.jpeg
    143.9 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_3555.jpeg
    IMG_3555.jpeg
    143.1 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_3557.jpeg
    IMG_3557.jpeg
    136.2 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_3559.jpeg
    IMG_3559.jpeg
    144.5 KB · Views: 72

A-TEAM

Reaction score
Also for the record holds an extra 3/4 quart oil with the kit and larger old school ram filter.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Well got the kit installed today! Install went good, 3 hours start to finish with changing the oil included. This was done in my garage on ramps not even a lift. Not as much as a drop of oil leaking anywhere. Used loctite 545 on all the fittings, as I only wanted to do this once. Ive started using 545 on hydraulic fittings when installing autopilots and havent had a leak since, so I trust the stuff and can recommend it. I also have a “feel” for how tight things should be since I have experience with hydraulic fittings so I didn’t bother with a torque wrench. The engine adapter block is the most difficult to install the fittings due to tool clearance and I found a crows foot wrench absolutely necessary to get the job complete. You can torque the side fitting out of the truck but once the block is on you need to do the center fitting and two hose fittings in tight quarters. For the lines I used a crows foot, an extension and a ratchet to get the lines. The filter adaptor is the easy part, as its out in the open and standard wrenches can be used. Overall I am very impressed with the kit and the quality of parts, and would recommend. The installation is not bad if you have the tools and know how but I’d rate it a 4 out of 5 difficulty level for a DIY project.

Does the new location mount to the same piece as the active air damn? It kind of looks like it.

A-TEAM

Reaction score
I ditched the active air dam long ago for the westin pro mod bumper, which the skid plate uses the same holes as the active air dam bolted to the front of the frame post, and the pacbrake mounts to unused holes in the rear of the same frame post. Kit should be active air dam approved as far as I can see.

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score

I read some posts that there is a vibration after installing this.
do you feel any vibration?

JF19Longhorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Fits fine with the active air damn. Had it on my truck for a few oil changes now and never had an issue. Makes changing the oil a breeze.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I ditched the active air dam long ago for the westin pro mod bumper, which the skid plate uses the same holes as the active air dam bolted to the front of the frame post, and the pacbrake mounts to unused holes in the rear of the same frame post. Kit should be active air dam approved as far as I can see.
Well, I removed those posts off my frame with the new bumper, so won't work for me

A-TEAM

Reaction score
I read some posts that there is a vibration after installing this.
do you feel any vibration?
None at all. Not sure where or how vibration would transmit to the body or frame with this kit since the hoses isolate it completely.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
It would work fine if you get creative with the mounting. 😀
I'm sure I could figure something out. At that point, I could probably piece together something myself cheaper.

A-TEAM

Reaction score
I'm sure I could figure something out. At that point, I could probably piece together something myself cheaper.
I guess if your willing to cut pieces off your frame to fit a bumper you can figure it out. Im also sure you could piece together a kit that works and is marginally cheaper but I personally don’t have the time to research the parts necessary, where to source The parts, time to acquire/ship them, and having them all play nice together. The pacbrake kit is not that expensive if you understand what you are getting into.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I guess if your willing to cut pieces off your frame to fit a bumper you can figure it out. Im also sure you could piece together a kit that works and is marginally cheaper but I personally don’t have the time to research the parts necessary, where to source The parts, time to acquire/ship them, and having them all play nice together. The pacbrake kit is not that expensive if you understand what you are getting into.
Oh, I agree with that. But part of the cost of the pacbrske kit is the custom mount for the filter which I would either have to modify, or just not use.

A-TEAM

Reaction score
Also if you are going full custom you would need custom length lines to fit where you decide to locate the filter. At that point you may as well piece it together as the cost of the pacbrake wont make sense if you still need custom lines made. For me and my setup I was looking for a nice turn key solution that was designed for everything to fit and work as a kit. For that need, the pacbrake kit worked out perfect.

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I have had the pacbrake installed for a while now, I second the comments about the crows foot wrench. Just no room to work over there by the old filter mount.

Users who are viewing this thread