5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Remote Mount Oil Filter

tobyw

Reaction score
I'm not quite yet due for my first oil change, but I've been under the truck and read enough horror stories that I'm preparing my self with a Fumoto (or similar) drain valve, and I would like to investigate the potential use of an oil filter relocation system... Anyone used one on the 2019 5.7L and have any recommendations?

Glenn54

Reaction score
I changed mine today at 2,526 miles. Someone had mentioned making a sort of valley/funnel out of foil to drain the oil the first time so I did that. I used the Fumoto valve to replace the oil drain plug. This should make it easier next time, using a hose. The oil filter was a little hard to remove but I have seen worse. I used foil to cover up parts below the oil filter. It would be nice to relocate the filter but only because the oil doesn't drain straight out into the oil drain pan. I would recommend using a 10 qt oil drain pan. I used a 8 qt pan and it was barely large enough to catch the used oil(not including the oil from the filter).

cra1g

Reaction score
Agree with the above. Make a tinfoil "ramp" to funnel the oil from the drain plug over the swaybar the first time, then install the Fumoto for next time. I also used a 1-gallon ziploc for the oil filter, and didn't spill a drop. I looked into filter relocation kits for the same reason, but from what I found they have the potential to cause more problems than they solve.

ClancyO

Reaction score
I changed my oil for the first time (on this truck) over the weekend and O.M.G. what an absolute mess!!! I've been doing my own maintenance since BEFORE I could drive and I've never made the kind of mess I made changing oil. I already had a stalhbus drain plug to replace the factory plug so that mess won't be repeated, but I definitely want an oil filter relocation kit now because I don't want to go thru that hell again. The ziplock bag method kinda works with 2 important notes; The oil is HOT (you did warm the truck up first right?) and I was convinced it was going to burn thru the bag before I could un-thread the filter, and the hot oil is slick and it's pretty hard to keep the bag wrapped around the filter as you adjust your grip to turn it 17 times. And the factory filter is tiny. Surely a remote kit would allow for a filter that might contain a bit more filtration. I changed the oil in my 'beater' car at the same time - it's only a 3.0 straight 6, and while it takes 7 quarts of oil (truck only took 6.5 and is still over the full mark) - the filter on the car is easily twice the size of this truck! So anyway - rant over.. Anyone find a relocation kit?

bravo1

Reaction score
Mopar offers a 5.7L Hemi remote filter relocation adapter.Part number 77072447..A 45 degree angle offset from the oil adapter.It shows it works for 6.4L and a 5.7L...The install shows just removing the oil filter connector or adaptor, and install the remote.The 45 degree angle is what I would like to know about if it points it towards the front of engine.There are some lines there but yea it also has a shield behind the filter assembly which just might aid in having the oil flow forward away from the electrical for the front axle disconnect and also the frame assembly.Plus if this does workout would possibly way easier to put the plastic bag around the filter.Some Mopar site's show if fits 2019 Ram 1500 new style while some show Jeep,etc..

Attachments

• IMG_2892.JPG
    IMG_2892.JPG
    35.2 KB · Views: 915

tobyw

Reaction score
Dang, great find there!! I'd love to see someone try this out...

Chippy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Dang, great find there!! I'd love to see someone try this out...
Yes if that works in our trucks I would buy it! I have a lift but that would just make me use less brake cleaner cleaning the mess off my truck.

Diamondback

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yeah, I mentioned in another post that I use the plastic "bag" from the new air filters at work to drape over the driveline parts to help keep it nearly mess free -- and you can wrap the bag up around the filter if you want when you pull it out.

I was looking to see if anyone made a remote oil filter yet - even do-it-yourself kit (cut and crimp your own lines, etc.) would be ok for me.

If not, I was looking at 3D printing something to mount up there like Ford has on their rigs.

RAMLAMB

Reaction score
Mopar offers a 5.7L Hemi remote filter relocation adapter.Part number 77072447..A 45 degree angle offset from the oil adapter.It shows it works for 6.4L and a 5.7L...The install shows just removing the oil filter connector or adaptor, and install the remote.The 45 degree angle is what I would like to know about if it points it towards the front of engine.There are some lines there but yea it also has a shield behind the filter assembly which just might aid in having the oil flow forward away from the electrical for the front axle disconnect and also the frame assembly.Plus if this does workout would possibly way easier to put the plastic bag around the filter.Some Mopar site's show if fits 2019 Ram 1500 new style while some show Jeep,etc..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ken Robbins

Reaction score
I did my 1st oil change a couple weeks ago. It really wasn't that bad at all. Could they have designed it better, of course. Not worth spending the money to relocate the filter or a drain valve. Don't over think it, it's only an oil change. Put your money into different mods. These days I guess guys want to press a button on their key fob titled "oil change". lol

cra1g

Reaction score
The futomo gives me sabotage spookies. Super convenient but so easy to tamper
You're worried about a group of people who are determined and knowledgeable enough to climb under the truck to look for ways to mess with you, but not determined and knowledgeable enough to bring a wrench that fits the OEM drain plug. I don't think that's a large group of people.

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Why not just have your oil changed for you? My local ram dealer has a drive through oil change bay. No appointment necessary and they use OEM filtered and Pennzoil oil.

dsn112

Reaction score
ziplock bag is helpful, But i just cram a solo cup up there after i break it loose. Then I spin it off into the cup and it catches all the oil.

As far as the valve goes, nobody is going to sabotage you, and the bad design to have the oil run all over the sway bar is silly. I'm good using a hose to drop it all into a catch pan.

ClancyO

Reaction score
My last truck (04 Titan, bought new) came with free oil changes. I think I did the first and never thereafter, always electing to let the dealer do it, since it was free. Shortly before I traded it I had to replace power steering pump & lines. I’d done brakes, exhaust, and other stuff but I’d never pulled the skid plate to see the bottom of the motor until I did the ps lines (dealer had replaced rack when truck was still very new). What an epic mess. The skid plate had 2 of its 4 bolts, 2 bolts were missing that held the p/s lines and the bottom of the truck was a nightmare of spilled oil (and leaking ps fluid). Went thru 2 cans of gunk trying to clean it up.

Not once during oil changes at the dealer did they mention weeping ps lines. Or the cracked exhaust manifold - that Nissan even extended to warranty to 10 years on (and I still missed out on!) Once I even left the dealer with my emergency brake cables hanging loose & rubbing against the driveshaft. I heard the grinding, stopped to investigate and zip tied them back up on the side of the road.

Never again. Sure it’s easier to pay someone else to do it, but IF you do it yourself, it forces you to look at your own stuff and be more proactive on maintenance. I decided I’m doing all the routine maintenance again now myself as I know my standards are higher than anyone I would be paying..

So anyway, I might try the milk jug trick. I don’t see enough space for the 45 degree relocater - I suspect that was for trucks before the electric power steering as that motor and the wire harness appear to occupy the space it needs..

Ken Robbins

Reaction score

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191111-140908_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20191111-140908_Chrome.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 222
  • Screenshot_20191111-140930_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20191111-140930_Chrome.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 219

Users who are viewing this thread