5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Remote Mount Oil Filter

Ronkartz72

Reaction score
Got my filter relocation kit installed today. Not a terribly hard thing to do. I will post pics and part numbers with this post. Mounted the filter towards the front and it gives me PLENTY of room to get to it easily. I used the toggle bolts to install versus the screws that came with the kit. Bolts were bought at Lowes. Finished the job up and 0 leaks. Will keep an eye on it the next few weeks to just to make sure there are no problems.

20200222_142606.jpg 20200222_142636.jpg 20200222_145436.jpg 20200222_155039.jpg 20200222_163622.jpg 20200222_163750.jpg

This is a post I made a while back. Still a LOT better than getting oil all over the place when dropping the filter. I did experience a small leak since I posted this, couple of turns on the hose clamp and all good.

Ronkartz72

Reaction score
I did the Fumoto valve as well, the New Generation one as Pop's. Works great. Get a piece of tubing to attach to it when you drain your oil, This will get around the tie rod and leave you with no mess to clean up. I have tried attaching hoses to it and hoping to keep them there but haven't had luck yet, so I just shove it on before I drain the oil and all is good.

southernyoop

Reaction score
If you had either the Ram AirFlow or Vararam CAI could you use the empty space to mount the remote oil filter? I apologize in advance if this is an obvious “NO”

Big3MG

Reaction score
Got my filter relocation kit installed today. Not a terribly hard thing to do. I will post pics and part numbers with this post. Mounted the filter towards the front and it gives me PLENTY of room to get to it easily. I used the toggle bolts to install versus the screws that came with the kit. Bolts were bought at Lowes. Finished the job up and 0 leaks. Will keep an eye on it the next few weeks to just to make sure there are no problems.

20200222_142606.jpg 20200222_142636.jpg 20200222_145436.jpg 20200222_155039.jpg 20200222_163622.jpg 20200222_163750.jpg

This is a post I made a while back. Still a LOT better than getting oil all over the place when dropping the filter. I did experience a small leak since I posted this, couple of turns on the hose clamp and all good.

I would replace the hoses with high pressure / high temp braided lines with crimped AN 10 fittings. I wouldn’t trust a hose clamp for this.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I ran a filter relocation kit on my 2017 Rebel (Trans-dapt 1127), and I was planning to put one on my 2020 Laramie. I did install one on the wife's Limited, but I had problems getting the fittings to completely seal, even with teflon tape, so I went back to a normal filter setup for that truck too. I've decided to stick with the factory setup on both trucks. I change oil once a year on each truck. I can live with cleaning up the mess twice a year versus potentially destroying an engine. I know the likelihood is slim, but why introduce a failure point for a little convenience. Whe whole time I owned that Rebel I was a little anxious about a hose or fitting failing. I guess I'd rather have the peace of mind of knowing that if the filter itself fails, at least it will be covered under warranty. But if something in the relocation kit fails, any repairs are on my dime. After the power train warranty expires, maybe I'll consider a remote filter again.

For anyone who decides to install one of these, I agree with Big3MG, go with high quality hoses and fittings. I'd also suggest to buy one of the better kits, and don't cheap out on a kit like Trans-dapt.

Ronkartz72

Reaction score
I would replace the hoses with high pressure / high temp braided lines with crimped AN 10 fittings. I wouldn’t trust a hose clamp for this.
I have looked for that but haven't been successful. If you have information on where I can find them, it would be much aprecciated.

Ronkartz72

Reaction score
If you had either the Ram AirFlow or Vararam CAI could you use the empty space to mount the remote oil filter? I apologize in advance if this is an obvious “NO”
I have the Vararam, it would give you plenty of room. The problem is draining the oil filter, it would basically be in your engine bay instead of close the ground where you can drain it into a drain pan.

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I've changed mine twice now, not nearly worth all this trouble nor was it messy.
Shop towel under the oil filter, the spin it off and replace. In and out with no mess in 10 minutes

SD Rebel

Reaction score
I've changed mine twice now, not nearly worth all this trouble nor was it messy.
Shop towel under the oil filter, the spin it off and replace. In and out with no mess in 10 minutes

I agree, I use the two zip lock bag method and I don't spill a drop. My Rams oil change process isn't that much of a difference than any other vehicle I've done it on, even the drain plug is a simple 5 second wipe on the sway bar with an old towel.

CajunHeat

Reaction score

Ronkartz72

Reaction score
I tried the ziplock bag thing and it turned out worse than if I would have just hosed myself with the the damn oil filter.

Going to order this today and put it on during my next oil change.

Looks like a nice kit!! How much is that bad boy?

SD Rebel

Reaction score
I tried the ziplock bag thing and it turned out worse than if I would have just hosed myself with the the damn oil filter.

Going to order this today and put it on during my next oil change.

It shouldn't have been bad, you need to use two large zip log bags. After you break the filter loose, do a half turn, then put on the first bag, then keep turning until it starts to drip oil. Then wait about 30 seconds until it stops, remove the first bag and set aside (I put in my drain pan).

Then slip on the 2nd zip lock bag and finish unscrewing the filter. Once the filter drops, keep the bag there for another 10 seconds to get the additional oil coming out of the filter mount. Once that stops, that should be it. Did it my first time, literally didn't spill a drop.

Maybe try it one more time this way before installing an aftermarket kit that may void your warranty.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread