5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Remote Mount Oil Filter

Twoamen

Reaction score
I changed mine today at 2,526 miles. Someone had mentioned making a sort of valley/funnel out of foil to drain the oil the first time so I did that. I used the Fumoto valve to replace the oil drain plug. This should make it easier next time, using a hose. The oil filter was a little hard to remove but I have seen worse. I used foil to cover up parts below the oil filter. It would be nice to relocate the filter but only because the oil doesn't drain straight out into the oil drain pan. I would recommend using a 10 qt oil drain pan. I used a 8 qt pan and it was barely large enough to catch the used oil(not including the oil from the filter).
I bought moldable funnel Amazon. It's like 8x11. Form it anyway you want. It's like flat piece of lead covered in vinyl

Diamondback

Ram Guru
Reaction score

gbsharrock

Reaction score
Mopar offers a 5.7L Hemi remote filter relocation adapter.Part number 77072447..A 45 degree angle offset from the oil adapter.It shows it works for 6.4L and a 5.7L...The install shows just removing the oil filter connector or adaptor, and install the remote.The 45 degree angle is what I would like to know about if it points it towards the front of engine.There are some lines there but yea it also has a shield behind the filter assembly which just might aid in having the oil flow forward away from the electrical for the front axle disconnect and also the frame assembly.Plus if this does workout would possibly way easier to put the plastic bag around the filter.Some Mopar site's show if fits 2019 Ram 1500 new style while some show Jeep,etc..
Bought it, tried it, doesn't fit on Ram's. I installed the Derale Engine Oil Filter Relocation Kit 15725 that I purchases from Summit racing. Mounted the new oil filter on the front cross member and it's great.

RSConsulting

Reaction score
Bought it, tried it, doesn't fit on Ram's. I installed the Derale Engine Oil Filter Relocation Kit 15725 that I purchases from Summit racing. Mounted the new oil filter on the front cross member and it's great.

Keep an eye out for leaks. Number of complaints on Amazon about fittings & O-Ring on adapter leaking.

Also be mindful, between bigger filter and lines, this can add upwards of .5-.75 qts of additional oil for an oil change.

My $.02

(I change mine on a lift, and hose it down with BrakeKleen when I'm done anyways.)

Rick

SiRay6

Reaction score
I'm resurrecting this thread from the dead instead of creating a new thread. I just did my first oil change at 1,300 miles yesterday. This is my first domestic vehicle so I am not familiar with these vehicles. I have been evacuating oil for my British and German cars in recent years and I have been spoiled by not needing to get under a car. I was not looking forward to this oil change so I took people's advice and pieced together a oil filter relocation kit.

I wanted to share the pieces I used if it helps anyone. The oil drain didn't bother me at all, I just wrapped foil around the sway bar and that took care of that. The oil filter is as bad as everyone said it was. I like my vehicles clean and hate oil spills so it took me a while to lay there and wipe every nook and cranny (especially since I'm in Southern Cali, it stays clean year round).

Everything went well, the longest part was cleaning up the oil filter mess, fitting AN -10 hose ends (stripped one), and tightening the Moroso oil filter adaptor since the 1.5" nut was difficult to get to. The Derale oil filter mount uses a 3/4" x 16 thread so I couldn't use the stock oil filter; the new oil filter I had to use was more than 2x larger than the stock one. Total spent was about $250.

rEUWBN6l.jpg

KLgmJfYl.jpg

D6U6ufpl.jpg

9qCngAKl.jpg

mpKQDpUl.jpg

eiqWmeCl.jpg

Zg56hrtl.jpg

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I use a plastic half gallon milk jug. I cut the button out so it fits under the filter. Oil drains into that and out the mouth of the jug with the cap off. Works for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This is how bad it's gotten for Ram...we as customers actually have to get creative just to do a damn oil change....smh. I like the idea though lol!

nselimis

Reaction score
Would you be willing to provide links to the parts you bought to do the filter relocation?? Looks clean BTW

I'm resurrecting this thread from the dead instead of creating a new thread. I just did my first oil change at 1,300 miles yesterday. This is my first domestic vehicle so I am not familiar with these vehicles. I have been evacuating oil for my British and German cars in recent years and I have been spoiled by not needing to get under a car. I was not looking forward to this oil change so I took people's advice and pieced together a oil filter relocation kit.

I wanted to share the pieces I used if it helps anyone. The oil drain didn't bother me at all, I just wrapped foil around the sway bar and that took care of that. The oil filter is as bad as everyone said it was. I like my vehicles clean and hate oil spills so it took me a while to lay there and wipe every nook and cranny (especially since I'm in Southern Cali, it stays clean year round).

Everything went well, the longest part was cleaning up the oil filter mess, fitting AN -10 hose ends (stripped one), and tightening the Moroso oil filter adaptor since the 1.5" nut was difficult to get to. The Derale oil filter mount uses a 3/4" x 16 thread so I couldn't use the stock oil filter; the new oil filter I had to use was more than 2x larger than the stock one. Total spent was about $250.

rEUWBN6l.jpg

KLgmJfYl.jpg

D6U6ufpl.jpg

9qCngAKl.jpg

mpKQDpUl.jpg

eiqWmeCl.jpg

Zg56hrtl.jpg

SiRay6

Reaction score
Would you be willing to provide links to the parts you bought to do the filter relocation?? Looks clean BTW

Thanks for the positive feedback. Just an update, no leaks anywhere after 100-200 miles. Will keep an eye on things and report back if it leaks.

1 x Moroso Oil Filter adapter for 22mmx1.5 thread (AN-10).

1 x Derale Oil Filter Adapter (AN-10) I bought mine through Amazon since it was out of stock @ Summit. There were a few different kinds but I liked this design and mounting bracket. I chose 3/4x16 thread oil filter version since there were more oil filter options (search Fram ph8a alternatives for oil filter brands you prefer).

2 x Summit Racing Nylon braided hoses AN-10 x 3 ft. I didnt need 3ft and 2ft could have worked since I ended up cutting both in half. I would rather have more than less to finish the job.

4 x Russel AN-10 Hose Ends. I ended up stripping one and I ended up using hose clamps on one fitting to finish the job. I will redo the one AN-10 hose end on my next oil change. I would buy 1 extra at the least. I have never made AN hoses and it took me a while to cut and install hose ends cleanly.

4 x Summit Oring AN-10 to AN-10 fitting. This installs on the Derale Oil Filter Mount and the Moroso adapter. Lube o rings and tighten down all the way, none of the orings should be visible.

Bonus tools to have.

Vice jaw for installing AN hose ends unless you already have something to do the job.

Moroso Oil Filter Adapter bolt head size is 1.5". I had a socket but there wasnt enough space to fit the 1/2" drive socket underneath. If you buy a 1.5" box wrench, then the 12 point side should make tightening this bolt much easier. I had to struggle with a huge crescent wrench that made it more difficult.

AN-10 nut size is 25mm/1in which I didnt have so again, I struggled with a gigantic crescent wrench. It is good to have 1 or 2 25mm box wrench handy and I ended up buying an AN-10 wrench for future needs.

I didnt apply lube on the Oring AN fitting when installing it so I bought some extra AN-10 orings in case I develop a leak. I saw tiny chunks of Oring being shaved off while tightening it down. I was being dumb and lazy.

Installation tips.

When installing and clocking the Moroso Oil Filter adapter, try to test fit the AN hoses to the Moroso adapter to make sure you have enough room to tighten the AN hoses. There are a couple hoses in the way and it could save you from having to reclock the Moroso adapter.

Apply lube to AN Oring/straight cut fitting before tightening it down on the Derale adapter.

Lastly AN hoses look nice to save cost and make the install easier using hose barbs and hose clamps might work just as well. Factory oil lines are clamped on too.

I hope this helps. Should come out to $250 shipped +/-.

Last edited:

ez.allgood

Reaction score
Thanks for the positive feedback. Just an update, no leaks anywhere after 100-200 miles. Will keep an eye on things and report back if it leaks.

1 x Moroso Oil Filter adapter for 22mmx1.5 thread (AN-10).

1 x Derale Oil Filter Adapter (AN-10) I bought mine through Amazon since it was out of stock @ Summit. There were a few different kinds but I liked this design and mounting bracket. I chose 3/4x16 thread oil filter version since there were more oil filter options (search Fram ph8a alternatives for oil filter brands you prefer).

2 x Summit Racing Nylon braided hoses AN-10 x 3 ft. I didnt need 3ft and 2ft could have worked since I ended up cutting both in half. I would rather have more than less to finish the job.

4 x Russel AN-10 Hose Ends. I ended up stripping one and I ended up using hose clamps on one fitting to finish the job. I will redo the one AN-10 hose end on my next oil change. I would buy 1 extra at the least. I have never made AN hoses and it took me a while to cut and install hose ends cleanly.

4 x Summit Oring AN-10 to AN-10 fitting. This installs on the Derale Oil Filter Mount and the Moroso adapter. Lube o rings and tighten down all the way, none of the orings should be visible.

Bonus tools to have.

Vice jaw for installing AN hose ends unless you already have something to do the job.

Moroso Oil Filter Adapter bolt head size is 1.5". I had a socket but there wasnt enough space to fit the 1/2" drive socket underneath. If you buy a 1.5" box wrench, then the 12 point side should make tightening this bolt much easier. I had to struggle with a huge crescent wrench that made it more difficult.

AN-10 nut size is 25mm/1in which I didnt have so again, I struggled with a gigantic crescent wrench. It is good to have 1 or 2 25mm box wrench handy and I ended up buying an AN-10 wrench for future needs.

I didnt apply lube on the Oring AN fitting when installing it so I bought some extra AN-10 orings in case I develop a leak. I saw tiny chunks of Oring being shaved off while tightening it down. I was being dumb and lazy.

Installation tips.

When installing and clocking the Moroso Oil Filter adapter, try to test fit the AN hoses to the Moroso adapter to make sure you have enough room to tighten the AN hoses. There are a couple hoses in the way and it could save you from having to reclock the Moroso adapter.

Apply lube to AN Oring/straight cut fitting before tightening it down on the Derale adapter.

Lastly AN hoses look nice to save cost and make the install easier using hose barbs and hose clamps might work just as well. Factory oil lines are clamped on too.

I hope this helps. Should come out to $250 shipped +/-.
Awesome write-up and thanks for sharing. I'm thinking about doing this exact mod. How much extra oil is needed for the relocation/larger filter and has it thrown any codes?

Thanks,

Eli A.

Big3MG

Reaction score
I used the same filter mount. Very nice quality. I flipped the mounting plate 180* to get the filter up a few inches higher. Mounted it on the frame just behind the radiator, in line with a vertical frame member that comes down off the horizontal frame that supports the front bumper/radiator. Threaded and tapped three mounting holes there. I ordered custom high pressure, high temp fluid lines that are crimped. I found it difficult to torque the AN fittings at the filter adaptor. Pics attached showing original OEM mini filter, remote filter before lines, remote filter next to OEM filter size comparison, and screenshots of remote filter and lines installed.

Attachments

• 22F9A7CC-C00B-4429-AD1C-E49083705F5F.jpeg
    22F9A7CC-C00B-4429-AD1C-E49083705F5F.jpeg
    129.7 KB · Views: 488
  • ECB88FE3-6F6C-4F24-BCFE-8C26C9E9BA05.jpeg
    ECB88FE3-6F6C-4F24-BCFE-8C26C9E9BA05.jpeg
    179.2 KB · Views: 491
  • C64D90C0-BCAC-40FD-91E2-7887D912FF05.jpeg
    C64D90C0-BCAC-40FD-91E2-7887D912FF05.jpeg
    122.8 KB · Views: 485
  • 261FFEBC-2464-4A90-9DA1-755201ED2732.jpeg
    261FFEBC-2464-4A90-9DA1-755201ED2732.jpeg
    125.5 KB · Views: 478
  • 06C390A0-F850-46E7-A8B2-09BF57E31837.jpeg
    06C390A0-F850-46E7-A8B2-09BF57E31837.jpeg
    109.9 KB · Views: 485
  • 10757B24-FB33-4AA6-B214-A03BC8C65A59.jpeg
    10757B24-FB33-4AA6-B214-A03BC8C65A59.jpeg
    84 KB · Views: 490

ZombieSlayer

Reaction score
I used the same filter mount. Very nice quality. I flipped the mounting plate 180* to get the filter up a few inches higher. Mounted it on the frame just behind the radiator, in line with a vertical frame member that comes down off the horizontal frame that supports the front bumper/radiator. Threaded and tapped three mounting holes there. I ordered custom high pressure, high temp fluid lines that are crimped. I found it difficult to torque the AN fittings at the filter adaptor. Pics attached showing original OEM mini filter, remote filter before lines, remote filter next to OEM filter size comparison, and screenshots of remote filter and lines installed.

I like this idea :)

SiRay6

Reaction score
Awesome write-up and thanks for sharing. I'm thinking about doing this exact mod. How much extra oil is needed for the relocation/larger filter and has it thrown any codes?

Thanks,

Eli A.

Thanks Eli! Im ebarrasses to say that I havent checked the dip stick. I just poured 7 qts and was planning on checking in about 1k miles or so. I had drained about 6-7qts +/- so I dont believe i am consuming any oil so I didnt bother checking. Sorry I cant be of much help. I dont imagine I would need much (maybe 1/4 to 1/2 qt) since the oil lines havent been extended by much (12in each?) And oilter is larger but not significant.

SiRay6

Reaction score

Nice, i mounted mine super close to yours except I dont have any taps and didnt want to drill through the frame. I was thinking of using self tapping screws but didnt want to risk the off chance of the screws coming loose and having my oil filter hanging by the hoses.

If it benefits anyone, the location I chose allowed you to reach behind and tighten with a nylon lock nut so you can fasten it with a bolt and nut eliminating the chance of screws backing out.

I love the hoses you used, I never knew these existed. Did you have to know the hose length ahead in order to order the correct length? These screw in to the -10AN adapters or are you using different thread pitch like npt or something?

Links to where you purchased the hoses?

Thanks in advance!

Big3MG

Reaction score
Ordered from Improved Racing in Orlando. The hoses were high temp/high pressure BMRS custom made hoses with -10 AN fittings, also ordered from improved racing. 17” length. The adaptor plates have an option to order the AN fittings size desired. You have to select 1 ft and then 5” in the length drop down. No need for the flame sleeve. One 90 deg and one straight fitting. Use nutsert to mount, Amazon has the kits for like $80. Three small holes in that frame are no big deal.

Attachments

• 14467BF2-A46B-40F8-8EC7-51C95AE7FCB6.jpeg
    14467BF2-A46B-40F8-8EC7-51C95AE7FCB6.jpeg
    163.7 KB · Views: 214
  • 3AFA6AF4-8239-44B2-8213-939574EF29EF.jpeg
    3AFA6AF4-8239-44B2-8213-939574EF29EF.jpeg
    162.9 KB · Views: 212
  • 426E17AA-30C8-4AEC-846B-6E31BDD23CBD.jpeg
    426E17AA-30C8-4AEC-846B-6E31BDD23CBD.jpeg
    95.8 KB · Views: 194
  • 1723B47A-F8EE-4483-A595-BBF252F3BD3D.jpeg
    1723B47A-F8EE-4483-A595-BBF252F3BD3D.jpeg
    103.2 KB · Views: 205

Big3MG

Reaction score
Here are screenshots for ordering the custom crimped hoses with -10 AN fittings. Ordered thru ImprovedRacing.com.

Attachments

• 8241EFED-6133-4221-B6BD-331FC84F8B11.jpeg
    8241EFED-6133-4221-B6BD-331FC84F8B11.jpeg
    389 KB · Views: 102
  • C39BA617-691E-4059-A3AC-B65C1E4AFE66.jpeg
    C39BA617-691E-4059-A3AC-B65C1E4AFE66.jpeg
    83.8 KB · Views: 101

Big3MG

Reaction score
Here is the nutsert tool I used.

Attachments

• 4B8B48C7-4E38-4216-9F40-3FE3E2CA0968.jpeg
    4B8B48C7-4E38-4216-9F40-3FE3E2CA0968.jpeg
    295.3 KB · Views: 134

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Wow, I didn't find my oil change particularly that difficult or messy. It was practically a zero drip experience for me by following these basic steps....

- Don't loosen oil cap first, leave it tight so the oil doesn't flow too quickly out of the drain pain, once most of the oil is drained, then loosen the oil cap.

- I don't cover the sway bar, it only drips oil on it for a minute or so, takes only a few seconds to completely clean with an old rag later.

- Use the two zip-lock bag method when removing the oil filter, break the filter loose, then about 1/2 turn, place first bag over filter, continue to loosen filter so oil comes out, after it stops remove that bag. Place 2nd bag over filter, unscrew completely, wait 10 seconds for oil to completely drain from filter mount.

That's it, I honestly found it to be a pleasant experience. Only special tools I used were a set of Rhino ramps to lift the front.

Rebel 12

Reaction score
I changed mine today at 2,526 miles. Someone had mentioned making a sort of valley/funnel out of foil to drain the oil the first time so I did that. I used the Fumoto valve to replace the oil drain plug. This should make it easier next time, using a hose. The oil filter was a little hard to remove but I have seen worse. I used foil to cover up parts below the oil filter. It would be nice to relocate the filter but only because the oil doesn't drain straight out into the oil drain pan. I would recommend using a 10 qt oil drain pan. I used a 8 qt pan and it was barely large enough to catch the used oil(not including the oil from the filter).
Does the 2017 5.7 Fumoto fit the 2019 5.7 ? The website only goes to 2017. Witch one did you go with ?

Users who are viewing this thread