5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Recon LED 3rd Brake Light 2019+

U

User_63152

Do you suspect that is the point where the moisture is getting in?
I honestly couldn't say. It would be pure speculation.

That point is called the ''gate''. The leftover ''runner/sub runner'' needs to be broken/cut away from the each part from each ''shot''.

Now, this is just describing injection molding. I am not aware how the Recon light lenses are made. But, it looks like an injection "gate" point.

Who knows? I could be WAY OFF. 🤷‍♂️

Attachments

• plastic-injection-molding-runner-system.jpg
    plastic-injection-molding-runner-system.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 35
Last edited by a moderator:

roland958

Reaction score
This is why I hate going to this forum. I just peeked today and now I ended up spending $374 for the 3rd break lights and side mirror lenses :). I was doing good staying away from this forum for almost 2 years.

Biggiehorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I
Well, from working in a few plastics factories, I can tell you that it's the injection/break away point from the mold. Yours looks horrible! It should never have passed QC. Mine didn't look too bad, thank goodness.
would agree that mine looks nothing like the photos @1500DFW provided. I hopped in the bed and looked at it today and while a small mark nothing looks of any concern.

Last edited:

2020GCM

Reaction score
So I got my replacement light today. Looking at the bottom of the light I noticed a section of the clear plastic on the bottom of the light that was damaged. It’s about an inch long and looks like it was hit with a hammer or something.

I noticed that exact same piece of cracked/crumbled plastic on the bottom of the original light.

I don’t know how that’s possible. Anybody else have that on their light? I wonder if that’s where the moisture may be coming in.

Anybody else notice any moisture issues?

I attached a couple pictures. It’s kind of hard to see but the damage is definitely there on both lights.
3958794e55d90f1bcdb036b781ef2942.jpg

78da50d688f06f72b7d0764ba39f938a.jpg

8e122c1409a341517d2c2bdf960c01bf.jpg
I received mine a couple weeks ago but am waiting till spring to install but I checked it last night and I also show the same "break" point at the same spot on the bottom edge. I can actually get my fingernail in the gap....guess I'll silicone it before install.

mrod909

Reaction score
This is why I hate going to this forum. I just peeked today and now I ended up spending $374 for the 3rd break lights and side mirror lenses :). I was doing good staying away from this forum for almost 2 years.
Same here 😂

Just did the exact same thing!!!

CMil527

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
lmk how u like those side mirrors lenses, i've been eyin em!

Georgf

Reaction score
What you, guys, do with yours bad lights, who get a replacement? Could you ship its to me, to make some retrofitting? Want try make one working from several bad :)

NewLove

Ram Guru
Reaction score
What you, guys, do with yours bad lights, who get a replacement? Could you ship its to me, to make some retrofitting? Want try make one working from several bad :)

Recon wants it sent back to them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NewLove

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Got my replacement today.. it has that spot along the bottom. So did the one I installed. Although not sure if this is where the moisture is getting in?? Don’t know what to do at this point.

NewLove

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So I got my replacement light today. Looking at the bottom of the light I noticed a section of the clear plastic on the bottom of the light that was damaged. It’s about an inch long and looks like it was hit with a hammer or something.

I noticed that exact same piece of cracked/crumbled plastic on the bottom of the original light.

I don’t know how that’s possible. Anybody else have that on their light? I wonder if that’s where the moisture may be coming in.

Anybody else notice any moisture issues?

I attached a couple pictures. It’s kind of hard to see but the damage is definitely there on both lights.
3958794e55d90f1bcdb036b781ef2942.jpg

78da50d688f06f72b7d0764ba39f938a.jpg

8e122c1409a341517d2c2bdf960c01bf.jpg

You install the replacement yet?

1500DFW

Reaction score
You install the replacement yet?

Not yet. I was waiting for it to warm up. I think I’m going to call and speak with someone and tell them about my concerns and that of the other members on here and see what they come up with. I’ll report back after my phone call tomorrow.

U

User_63152

I don't know how many of these Recon has sold, but, I think that this is a flaw in their product. If there continues to be condensation issues and that hideous gate mark, they will have to do something to fix it, and/or do a recall.

I am aware I am most likely jumping the gun, but, it seems to be happening more, than not.

1500DFW

Reaction score
I just got off the phone with Recon. They said they’ve sold thousands of these particular lights; that they can barely keep them in stock. They said the breakaway point on the mold is normal and shouldn’t be a concern.

They also said they’ve only had a couple issues with moisture and it shouldn’t be a common problem.

I confirmed that if the replacement light has moisture as well that I can return it for a refund even though it has been installed.

I got the impression the guy didn’t want to deal with the issue and was trying to rush me off the phone but we’ll see.

I’ll install my replacement today and if it has issues I’ll try to get a refund and wait for the price on the OEM version to drop.

bendini

Reaction score
Not yet. I was waiting for it to warm up. I think I’m going to call and speak with someone and tell them about my concerns and that of the other members on here and see what they come up with. I’ll report back after my phone call tomorrow.
I emailed them and Javier their rep said he is sending a replacement. Not sure what will be changing if anything. What are you guys using to help seal the gasket??

bendini

Reaction score
I just got off the phone with Recon. They said they’ve sold thousands of these particular lights; that they can barely keep them in stock. They said the breakaway point on the mold is normal and shouldn’t be a concern.

They also said they’ve only had a couple issues with moisture and it shouldn’t be a common problem.

I confirmed that if the replacement light has moisture as well that I can return it for a refund even though it has been installed.

I got the impression the guy didn’t want to deal with the issue and was trying to rush me off the phone but we’ll see.

I’ll install my replacement today and if it has issues I’ll try to get a refund and wait for the price on the OEM version to drop.
Let us know how the replacement holds up!

1500DFW

Reaction score

Also, I noticed two more breakaway points on the top of the light, where it would be behind the top of the cab. I decided to silicone all three spots. I’m not going to silicone the entire light. We’ll see if it makes a difference.

BluegrassMotorsport

Reaction score
I wonder if there's been a bad batch or something. Mine and the ones bought before me seem to be holding up great. But now there is a string of moisture issues. Strange.

Users who are viewing this thread