5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Recommend me detailing products

jwtiger69

Reaction score
Just purchased my truck and now want to get into detailing a lot more. I have been looking the chemical guys stuff and I am not sure if other options are just as good. I know there are other options out there. I do not plan on ceramic coating my truck. So I would think 100 bucks would be where I would start for now. Thanks ahead of time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MJP

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just purchased my truck and now want to get into detailing a lot more. I have been looking the chemical guys stuff and I am not sure if other options are just as good. I know there are other options out there. I do not plan on ceramic coating my truck. So I would think 100 bucks would be where I would start for now. Thanks ahead of time.

Many many years ago when I worked in a body shop I detailed on the side. I just do my own cars now but I have always been a fan of all things Meguiars. I use their liquid wax, compound. detailer spray, waterless car wash, spray wax, rim cleaner and interior cleaner. You can’t go wrong and their prices are pretty reasonable. I use Chemical Guys spray tire shine however as the Meguiars gel is too messy to work with even though it is a great product.

jwtiger69

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I will check it out.

Reactions: MJP

MValdez

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Washing/Detailing my vehicle is how i release in life. it is my "zen". When it comes to product - I'm the guy who has to try every product on the market... For wheels- The best cleaner in my experience is Chemical Guys Diablo Wheel Cleaner ...( if you have aftermarket wheels like z0n3 and myself get yourself a "Brush Hero". I never clean my wheels without it!) Washing my truck I use my trusty $20.00 foam cannon from Amazon (don't waste your $ on chemical guys/adams $90.00 foam cannon complete rip-off) with * meguires gold class car wash soap). *** before you dry your truck A must-have product IMO is TURTLE WAX "WASH-AS-YOU-DRY" spray on wax. It will eliminate any water spots and does not leave a hazy film like all other spray on wax. If your truck is Diamond Black Crystal Pearl -PXJ - Then get yourself Chemical Guys "Black Light" Glaze after polishing. Though it doesn't last that long this stuff truly brings out the shine of black paint. For leather seats I like VoodooBlend Leather Rejuvenate. For Dash/vinyl - Meguiar's Dash cleaner.

lawlavigne

Reaction score
Tec 582 ceramic detailing spray. $45 for a gallon and it can be diluted to last even longer. I use it on all of my trim, chrome, rims, and glass. Interior I use Adams interior detail cleaner and Adams leather conditioner. Still searching around to see what tire dressing to go with.

Billy James

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Collinite 476S Super Doublecoat wax twice a year for Superior paint protection. Collinite 845 Insulator wax on top of the 476S every three or four months or so for a deep shine. I have tried all kinds of waxes and coatings; then I found Collinite. The reason I prefer a "wax" is that it puts a thick, slippery coating on your truck and protects the paint from scratches, spots, etc..

Petey1311

Reaction score
A good guy to watch on you tube is Pan the organizer. He is out of Montreal but has a lot of good information on detailing. I just had my wife’s 2020 Grand Cherokee and my 2019 2500 limited ceramic coated with OPTI-COAT PRO+ Made by Optimum car care Fantastic coating. Will be using Optimum products from here on out to maintain the finish. What ever brand you use don’t forget about decontaminating the paint from iron Caused by the brake pads. Ferrex from Optimum works great Needs to be used on wheels every wash. Will not hurt the finish. The pic is my truck got it back this morning.

Attachments

• 99EF7C5E-4F22-4720-8CA2-FCDFBE1180AD.jpeg
    99EF7C5E-4F22-4720-8CA2-FCDFBE1180AD.jpeg
    163.2 KB · Views: 95

WhiteLaramie2020

Reaction score

WhiteLaramie2020

Reaction score
after wash and bead maker
eabb60832ea733615a38882980c77e35.jpg
9dffa65bd7b7015384dad971e42a4cc7.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

5thGenRebel_AMK

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I primarily use Adams products. Keep it simple. Two bucket wash method, clay bar, polish, paint sealant, the top coat with whatever you like. I use their VRT on trim and tires. I do all of this twice a year. In between, I just do a spray on paint sealant as a drying aid after I wash. Keeps it looking really nice

Petey1311

Reaction score
I chose ceramic coating to give the best protection possible. it will last for many many years with proper care. Everything you mentioned above is the right way to clean your vehicle To minimize swirl marks and mild scratches. I understand the original thread mentioned he did not want to ceramic coat But its the way to keep the finish from getting mild abrasions and chemical damage, bird crap, sap etc. for several years possibly The life of the vehicle if taken care properly. To me it was worth the cost especially on a brand new vehicle. i WILL never take it to a automatic car wash again that is the worse thing you can do to your finish.

5thGenRebel_AMK

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I chose ceramic coating to give the best protection possible. it will last for many many years with proper care. Everything you mentioned above is the right way to clean your vehicle To minimize swirl marks and mild scratches. I understand the original thread mentioned he did not want to ceramic coat But its the way to keep the finish from getting mild abrasions and chemical damage, bird crap, sap etc. for several years possibly The life of the vehicle if taken care properly. To me it was worth the cost especially on a brand new vehicle. i WILL never take it to a automatic car wash again that is the worse thing you can do to your finish.
i agree with never going to an automatic car wash lol they're terrible!! what are your thoughts on ceramic coatings if you get a scratch in your paint? My understanding has always been that you would have to reapply the whole ceramic coating since ceramic coating does not bond to itself once its applied. for me, i like keeping my paint nice and polished as much as possible so thats why ive never went with ceramic. curious to hear your thoughts tho on it and if youre using a product that proves me incorrect

Jtr

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My current go to arsenal is:
1. Chemical guys honeydew snow foam
2. Wolfgang uber rinseless wash concentrate
3. Uber+carpro reload quick detail concoction
4. Eagle One All Wheel & Tire Triple Cleaning Foam Spray
5. Turtle wax hybrid solutions ceramic spray
6. Wolfgang microfiber cleaner and rejuvenator (a good microfiber cleaner concentrate works a lot better than regular laundry detergent)

dutchman187

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Two bucket wash if by hand and hose.

Soap- OTC: Meguiars Gold Class is at most auto stores. I prefer Ultima Paint Guard Wash ($12) or Reset by CarPro.

Quick Detailer: Depends a lot on what your last step protection is. Meguairs Quick Detailer is pretty decent overall. I like carpro echo 2 a bunch and that's what I'm using now. I also have and like Finish Kare 425 Extra Slick Finish.

ONR: Double bonus to buying ONR is that they 1) make a rinseless wash and gloss super easy to do with two buckets and no hose. They have an added shine most of the time that boost your sealant as well. 2) You can dilute the mixture to double as a Quick Detailer as well. ONR is one of the best, although I actually preferred McKee's (formerly DP) rinseless. Again, I currently use and love the carpro echo 2.

Microfibers: You can get a pack of 30 of the Kirkland brand ones at Costco or Amazon. Wash and store them in their own container and they will stay free of contamination

Wheels/Tires: I like 303 Tire/Rubber Cleaner and some from McKees. Tire dressing, I have some Mckees Si02 tire protectant currently and also a couple bottles of wolfgang tire sealant. Both work well.

Interior leather/vinyl: I again like 303 leather cleaner/protectant. I also use the 303 aerospace protectant on the weatherstripping, anything rubber.

Windows: Invisible glass aerosol. A bottle of mckee's window coating will last an extremely long time as well and is awesome

Paintwork Cleanser (before putting down the sealant): P21S Paintwork Cleanser.

I do have a Glaze I really used to like that you can put under or over your sealant. Haven't used it in a while, but it was by far the best glaze I had ever tried.

Paint Sealant: For sealants, Menzerna Powerlock and Wolfgang paint sealant are both great and you will have that one bottle for a long time. Extremely easy to use. I also just used Gliss on top of my Cquartz UK and it was a breeze to use. They are touting Gliss as lasting up to 12 months as a stand alone product, but real world results will vary.

Wax: For durablity on my prior black, I liked the Collinite Marquis de Elegance. Was never as high on 827 as others. For a short time topper, Pinnacle Souveran or Wolfgang Fuzion are awesome. But they are pure show waxes.

Meguiars Hyper Dressing is also great on Ramboxes and truck cover.

That is a thumbnail of stuff. I have a ton of other products that are all pretty good to great. Got into detailing and went into the rabbit hold at Autogeek several years ago. One more thing, a Griot's or other quality DA polisher will make applying sealants, preparing for sealants, polishing, etc, a huge time saver and easily accomplish results.

Users who are viewing this thread