5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Recommend me detailing products

5thGenRebel_AMK

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Two bucket wash if by hand and hose.

Soap- OTC: Meguiars Gold Class is at most auto stores. I prefer Ultima Paint Guard Wash ($12) or Reset by CarPro.

Quick Detailer: Depends a lot on what your last step protection is. Meguairs Quick Detailer is pretty decent overall. I like carpro echo 2 a bunch and that's what I'm using now. I also have and like Finish Kare 425 Extra Slick Finish.

ONR: Double bonus to buying ONR is that they 1) make a rinseless wash and gloss super easy to do with two buckets and no hose. They have an added shine most of the time that boost your sealant as well. 2) You can dilute the mixture to double as a Quick Detailer as well. ONR is one of the best, although I actually preferred McKee's (formerly DP) rinseless. Again, I currently use and love the carpro echo 2.

Microfibers: You can get a pack of 30 of the Kirkland brand ones at Costco or Amazon. Wash and store them in their own container and they will stay free of contamination

Wheels/Tires: I like 303 Tire/Rubber Cleaner and some from McKees. Tire dressing, I have some Mckees Si02 tire protectant currently and also a couple bottles of wolfgang tire sealant. Both work well.

Interior leather/vinyl: I again like 303 leather cleaner/protectant. I also use the 303 aerospace protectant on the weatherstripping, anything rubber.

Windows: Invisible glass aerosol. A bottle of mckee's window coating will last an extremely long time as well and is awesome

Paintwork Cleanser (before putting down the sealant): P21S Paintwork Cleanser.

I do have a Glaze I really used to like that you can put under or over your sealant. Haven't used it in a while, but it was by far the best glaze I had ever tried.

Paint Sealant: For sealants, Menzerna Powerlock and Wolfgang paint sealant are both great and you will have that one bottle for a long time. Extremely easy to use. I also just used Gliss on top of my Cquartz UK and it was a breeze to use. They are touting Gliss as lasting up to 12 months as a stand alone product, but real world results will vary.

Wax: For durablity on my prior black, I liked the Collinite Marquis de Elegance. Was never as high on 827 as others. For a short time topper, Pinnacle Souveran or Wolfgang Fuzion are awesome. But they are pure show waxes.

Meguiars Hyper Dressing is also great on Ramboxes and truck cover.

That is a thumbnail of stuff. I have a ton of other products that are all pretty good to great. Got into detailing and went into the rabbit hold at Autogeek several years ago. One more thing, a Griot's or other quality DA polisher will make applying sealants, preparing for sealants, polishing, etc, a huge time saver and easily accomplish results.
lot's of great stuff. I would just add that id urge everyone to try some good quality microfibers from bigger detailing brands (griots, adams, chemical guys etc). i never realized how big of a difference a good microfiber makes compared to the wal mart specials. They take wax/product off the paint much easier, and they do a much better job making sure the paint does not get scratched. Poor quality microfibers can indeed leave swirls

dutchman187

Ram Guru
Reaction score
lot's of great stuff. I would just add that id urge everyone to try some good quality microfibers from bigger detailing brands (griots, adams, chemical guys etc). i never realized how big of a difference a good microfiber makes compared to the wal mart specials. They take wax/product off the paint much easier, and they do a much better job making sure the paint does not get scratched. Poor quality microfibers can indeed leave swirls

I do agree with this of course, and I own tubs and tubs of microfibers from chemical guys, Cobras, etc. I avoid the Walmart and ones from the autoparts store that I've seen. For most purposes, the Kirkland ones are great value and will not scratch your vehicle when used correctly. Now if I was doing a rinseless wash and gloss with one bucket full of towels in my ONR, I'm going to opt for a higher nap, higher quality towel. Basically, there is a reason there are so many microfiber towel choices out there. They all serve different purposes. Here is a good chart: https://www.autogeek.net/mfchart.html

Petey1311

Reaction score
i agree with never going to an automatic car wash lol they're terrible!! what are your thoughts on ceramic coatings if you get a scratch in your paint? My understanding has always been that you would have to reapply the whole ceramic coating since ceramic coating does not bond to itself once its applied. for me, i like keeping my paint nice and polished as much as possible so thats why ive never went with ceramic. curious to hear your thoughts tho on it and if youre using a product that proves me incorrect
it depends on how deep the scratch is. Ceramic coating will not prevent a key scratch or any metal from damaging it, but is will prevent swirl marks and light scratches. Most of those happen during car wash and detailing. The coating I used is guaranteed for seven years but will last longer with proper washing. The Opti-coat Pro + coating will bond into the clear coat and become part of it just not sit on top of it. The big advantages of ceramic is hydrophobic properties and slick surface that contaminates have a hard time sticking to. another advantage is less time in washing and frequency of washing. Every couple of weeks foam cannon rinse dry to prevent water spots( unless you can wash with deionized water). if you need to go beyond just the foam wash to get spots off use a micro fiber mitt with the two bucket method and DO NOT USE CIRCULAR MOTIONS just up and down or side to side in straight lines. Like I have mentioned earlier in this thread Pan the organizer and chemical guys have awesome videos on all of the steps from washing to clay bar to final finish. There are a lot of good products that will enhance your paint. Ceramic is the best wether it is the ones that only last for two to three month (turtle wax spray on is an excellent product) to the one I used Opti coat plus which was put on professionally. I hope this helped.

jeffauclair

Reaction score
I use AMMO NYC product. I’ve tried them all and they are by far the best ever. You can check the youtube chain of AMMO NYC for all detailing info related to their product. A little expensive, but trust me worth every penny.

Ccm12

Reaction score
Washing/Detailing my vehicle is how i release in life. it is my "zen". When it comes to product - I'm the guy who has to try every product on the market... For wheels- The best cleaner in my experience is Chemical Guys Diablo Wheel Cleaner ...( if you have aftermarket wheels like z0n3 and myself get yourself a "Brush Hero". I never clean my wheels without it!) Washing my truck I use my trusty $20.00 foam cannon from Amazon (don't waste your $ on chemical guys/adams $90.00 foam cannon complete rip-off) with * meguires gold class car wash soap). *** before you dry your truck A must-have product IMO is TURTLE WAX "WASH-AS-YOU-DRY" spray on wax. It will eliminate any water spots and does not leave a hazy film like all other spray on wax. If your truck is Diamond Black Crystal Pearl -PXJ - Then get yourself Chemical Guys "Black Light" Glaze after polishing. Though it doesn't last that long this stuff truly brings out the shine of black paint. For leather seats I like VoodooBlend Leather Rejuvenate. For Dash/vinyl - Meguiar's Dash cleaner.

which foam cannon did you pick up?
Wondering what soap you recommend for it
And with a black truck as well.....wax recommendation??
and new to detailing but is the “polishing” just drying or are you using a compound??

MValdez

Ram Guru
Reaction score
*Foam cannon - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07D9ZD18T/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
*Soap I use for cannon - https://www.amazon.com/Chemical-Guy...ywords=black+light+foam&qid=1594642835&sr=8-1
*Wax - https://www.amazon.com/Chemical-Guy...=1594642962&sprefix=hydroslick,aps,138&sr=8-5

When I polish my truck I use a dual Action powered polisher , ( Meguiar's MT300 Professionl Dual Action Polisher ) with light polishing compound to remove my truck of any swirl marks etc.

Ccm12

Reaction score

Ccm12

Reaction score
New truck necessitates a huge detailing purchase. Went with
Griots Garage Interior - general interior cleaning
Griots Garage leather - for leather dash
303 tire and rubber
303 ultimate
Collinite Super Double Wax
Meguiars Hot Shine
Chemical guys black light wash
Z9 leather cleaner
Z10 leather in a bottle
Tool daily foam gun
Bunch of micro fibers and brushes and mits

this thread was really helpful.

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I bounce around based on what's new and what's in my allowance budget. Like MJP said you can't go wrong with Meguiar's.

For glass, though, you can't beat Sprayway. They aren't kidding when they say they're the "world's best glass cleaner". Best stuff I've ever used and it's only a few bucks for a can.

Last edited:

MJP

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I bounce around based on what's new and what's in my allowance budget. Like MJP you can't go wrong with Meguiar's.

For glass, though, you can't beat Sprayway. They aren't kidding when they say they're the "world's best glass cleaner". Best stuff I've ever used and it's only a few bucks for a can.

Agree about Sprayway. I always buy the two packs.

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I got my wife hooked on it too for the house. She's always got a couple cans of her own under the kitchen sink that I'm not allowed to touch. :)

Reactions: MJP

GoRamGo

Reaction score
Alright yall a lot of good info on here I am new to all this so if yall can simplify I am getting a full detail this week including clay bar professionally after that I would like to ceramic wax it what all do I need or what all do yall recommend or if you can just point me in the right direction
Thanks!

Chuck19

Reaction score
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCE0kcuDlwjfP2982jVH6WkQ

You're welcome.....but your wallet will be lighter. :)
As much as I like Pan ( and i watch alot of his content) I have issue with the fact that he has never tried a product that he didnt like :unsure:! I would love a little objectiveness! But I guess he doesnt get paid to be objective. He gets paid to make us want to go buy something and he is damn good at that 🤣💸💸💸

davidn0021

Reaction score
Just bought a pressure washer along with a Mosmatic gun/wand and an MTM foam cannon. Makes a world of difference when it comes to hands-free washing!

Chuck19

Reaction score
Just bought a pressure washer along with a Mosmatic gun/wand and an MTM foam cannon. Makes a world of difference when it comes to hands-free washing!
Hands free? Never heard that term before. If you are just blasting with a foam cannon and not agitating the surface with a wash mit or some kind of microfiber you aren't really cleaning anything. Just dont want you to be wasting time thinking you are washing your huge truck and then later on when you dry it you are grinding in all the dirt and grime into your paint.

KCViper

Reaction score
Did the same late last year and it's truly a game changer!!! Good quality stuff!

Users who are viewing this thread