5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Recall of High Pressure Fuel Pump

UncaBuddha

Reaction score
I took my truck in for the "inspection" in mid-December. Called on Friday and was told at least another 5-6 weeks of waiting...

Someolddude

Reaction score
Trucks computer. Good point. Haven't messed with hand calculating yet. Maybe on the way back I'll run a set of numbers.
Either way, I'm pleased with the overall performance.
Villainizing diesel power is BS.
..but that's just me.

Someolddude

Reaction score
FWIW... Hand calculated and indeed my actual mpg was 2 miles less than the computer.
However, my trip back saw better mileage, same conditions and speed. 32.5 mpg trip computer, 30.5 actual.

Crazy Dane

Reaction score
Had mine done on the 27th. Dropped it off about 0830 and they texted me at 1157 saying it's done come pick it up. I don't know if it is just me but it seems to be a bit more responsive on the throttle now. I am also curious to see if milage improves like some of the others on here.

BobLeeSwaggin

Reaction score
How many of y'all have had total pump failures and what all did they replace? I'm trying to get an idea compared to my extensive debacle (almost a year w/out my truck) and its half way across the country. New Long block and Updated pump for me.

traveller09

Reaction score
I just did a roughly 400 mile round trip and got my usual winter mileage right around 27mpg. In the summer I will see 30mpg on the longer trips.
Wow, 30 in a Rebel! My best MPG to date is 29 but I dont count that because it is an outlier, happened once. Most highway is 22-24. Around town 19-20 mpg. I would kill for 27 much less 30.

phisch

Reaction score
I called my dealer about the recall around Christmas time and they said they would put me on the list and get back with me when parts were available. Got a call this week and service scheduled for March 1st.
Everything seems to have gone well. I'm not sure how long it took, as I dropped it off on a Thursday evening after hours and picked it up on Saturday morning. The tech said it was the 4th recall pump swap they had done so far. Now, this easily could be my 46,000 mile old Falken Wildpeaks, but the throttle seems a little more punchy off the line this week. It's been raining here and I was spinning them off the line way more than usual the last few days, even with easing into the pedal like I usually have to in 2wd mode on wet pavement. Need to order those new A/T4Ws this spring!

Last edited:

Rebelguy2020

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Wow, 30 in a Rebel! My best MPG to date is 29 but I dont count that because it is an outlier, happened once. Most highway is 22-24. Around town 19-20 mpg. I would kill for 27 much less 30.
I basically have the same eco diesel Rebel as Sascwatch and I get 31 mpg highway but I think he is showing the mpg in Canadian (UK) gallons which would convert to 26 USA gallon mpg, the Canadian gallon is bigger but believe me we pay for it! Below is a chart to make the comparison from US to UK (Canadian) mpg 484F20EB-99F6-4FB6-B151-EFD8B62B0499.png

Chris3058

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Don’t wait for the call. “Squeaky wheel gets the grease”
As Croaker said....in my experience I was told no parts etc available until late 24. Then i heard they had pumps in stock from the parts department so I called customer service and asked WTF. an hour later i had my appointment for the next day and a new pump in. Unfortunately some dealership service advisors are less than helpful. I may have mentioned this story before about Pit Viper - my lovely service advisor. She's a real peach.

Grader160m

Reaction score
I really don't get the various posts that imply in one way or another that the dealer might "do" this repair but not actually replace the HPFP or replace it with the wrong part.

A dealer would have to be complete fools to do something like that. If the FP breaks later and the truck goes to another RAM repair shop, they are going to see that it's the wrong fuel pump and the dealer that claimed to have done the work is going to get f@#!ed!
The ones that were recalled were Bosch CP4 to be replaced by the CP3. Same issues on Cummins as well with CP4’s

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The ones that were recalled were Bosch CP4 to be replaced by the CP3. Same issues on Cummins as well with CP4’s

The Eco isn't getting a CP3.3 installed. There has yet to be one posted, they are all just a different part number CP4.2.

I suspect it's just the change that was made from an asymmetrical cam lobe to the symmetrical cam lobe that was done on the Cummins mid year 2020. Until they finalized the recall to install a new (revised) CP3.3 (CP-ISB19S3), the failed CP4.2 asymmetrical pumps were being replaced with the CP4.2 symmetrical pumps.

If they changed the internals, nobody has been inside one to post any info.

2021EcoDiesel

Reaction score
Well, just got the truck back from the dealer. Had them address a glow plug issue while it was there. Pump was installed with 68,988 miles on the truck. 22 miles on the new fuel pump, too early to tell if there’s any difference in performance or MPG. I suspect it will all be exactly the same.

Users who are viewing this thread