5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Recall of High Pressure Fuel Pump

Someolddude

Reaction score
The Eco isn't getting a CP3.3 installed. There has yet to be one posted, they are all just a different part number CP4.2.

I suspect it's just the change that was made from an asymmetrical cam lobe to the symmetrical cam lobe that was done on the Cummins mid year 2020. Until they finalized the recall to install a new (revised) CP3.3 (CP-ISB19S3), the failed CP4.2 asymmetrical pumps were being replaced with the CP4.2 symmetrical pumps.

If they changed the internals, nobody has been inside one to post any info.
The pump that was installed in my EcoD IAW recall is a CP4.2 variant. The markings on the pump casing indicate this variant has an asymmetrical lobe. Till someone opens one up to determine, my guess is they may have "pinned" the bucket.

MXZGUY

Reaction score
Still waiting on that call from the dealer...sigh.
I called dealer in Mid-November 2023 on the 21st I believe. Then called mid-February 2024 here. When I spoke to them, I said it has been 3 months since I called and ask if they forgot about me. They said no just that the parts had not arrived yet. So then 2 days later they call the parts have arrived. Seemed funny to me all of a sudden, the parts arrived but I did not ask any questions either. Let's get it done. Then was able to get in two weeks later and had HPFP replaced March 4th. So far everything has been fine and almost 2000 miles since replacement.

70runner

Reaction score
Contacted two dealers last week. One said they'd put me on a "2-3 month waiting list". The other said they'd have to "order the parts" and will contact me when the parts arrive. In neither case am I holding my breath.

66Fuelie

Reaction score
I got mine done today and it said they installed updated pump, fuel line and ego tube gasket.
I thought they just replaced the pump and nothing else.
Tom

2021EcoDiesel

Reaction score
I got mine done today and it said they installed updated pump, fuel line and ego tube gasket.
I thought they just replaced the pump and nothing else.
Tom
They did the exact same with mine. I assume they pull the EGR tube to get better access to the fuel lines or the pump hardware.

Papi4baby

Reaction score
My friends truck has been sitting at the dealership for 18 months waiting for parts. Pump grenaded.
My original truck granaded on the drive home from purchase day. Dealer gave another truck straight up trade after they found out how long the parts wait was.

Woodbridge CDJR VA.

Reactions: c3k

tom318

Reaction score
I’ve been waiting since November on parts. Supposedly im 3-4weeks out from getting mine done. I’m approaching 100k miles and now getting a P026C code off and on. I just hope the 3-4 week estimate is accurate Becuase I’m hoping to take a few road trips in 6 weeks.

2021EcoDiesel

Reaction score
I’ve been waiting since November on parts. Supposedly im 3-4weeks out from getting mine done. I’m approaching 100k miles and now getting a P026C code off and on. I just hope the 3-4 week estimate is accurate Becuase I’m hoping to take a few road trips in 6 weeks.
I had that code come up early last year. I ran some Hot Shots Diesel Extreme through one tank of fuel and the code went away!

tom318

Reaction score
I had that code come up early last year. I ran some Hot Shots Diesel Extreme through one tank of fuel and the code went away!
I just filled up from my typical station. Once I burn through this thank I’ll give it a try! That code seems like a real pain to troubleshoot. I have access to a mactco Maximus 3.0 scan tool but requires an account to get through the safe gateway module. It’s only $50 for the year so I may give it a try to see if it can help point closer to what the issue was.

2021EcoDiesel

Reaction score
I just filled up from my typical station. Once I burn through this thank I’ll give it a try! That code seems like a real pain to troubleshoot. I have access to a mactco Maximus 3.0 scan tool but requires an account to get through the safe gateway module. It’s only $50 for the year so I may give it a try to see if it can help point closer to what the issue was.
So my scanner read it as “fuel injection quantity lower than expected.” Loosely this translated to an injector having a partial clog. Only symptom I felt from the drivers seat was a very intermittent and minor hesitation when accelerating out of stop light. Best of luck with it Tom!

Croaker

Reaction score
I had that same code and eventual limp mode. It took the dealer a while to figure it out.

Turned out to be a hole in an air supply hose.

Last edited:

tom318

Reaction score
So the code has come and gone but now it’s here to stay and the truck is down on power. Took the top cover off and it seems a bit concerning. Oil around the top and seemed to be leaking from pipe going to the intercooler from the turbo. Failing turbo? I rolled 99k today and it’s going to the dealer Monday.
Not much more I want to really dig into at this point since I still have a bit of warranty left. IMG_7786.jpeg
IMG_7787.jpeg IMG_7788.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_7786.jpeg
    IMG_7786.jpeg
    167.3 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:

2021EcoDiesel

Reaction score
So the code has come and gone but now it’s here to stay and the truck is down on power. Took the top cover off and it seems a bit concerning. Oil around the top and seemed to be leaking from pipe going to the intercooler from the turbo. Failing turbo? I rolled 99k today and it’s going to the dealer Monday.
Not much more I want to really dig into at this point since I still have a bit of warranty left. View attachment 180454
View attachment 180448 View attachment 180449
My turbo plumbing also has a little bit of oil on it, but yours look a little wetter than mine do. I've got my fingers crossed for you that it is a simple issue. Or at the very least it is completely covered under warranty! I'll try and post a few pictures for you when the sun is out.

2021EcoDiesel

Reaction score
My turbo plumbing also has a little bit of oil on it, but yours look a little wetter than mine do. I've got my fingers crossed for you that it is a simple issue. Or at the very least it is completely covered under warranty! I'll try and post a few pictures for you when the sun is out.
Here Tom, took a few photos of my under hood area. I just cracked 69K miles. Definitely not as much oil near that joint as your truck, but there is a bit of oil in that pipe. However it’s no more than some of my tier 4/Emissions turbodiesels at work.

Attachments

• IMG_7343.jpeg
    IMG_7343.jpeg
    185.2 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_7342.jpeg
    IMG_7342.jpeg
    157.8 KB · Views: 24

tom318

Reaction score
Here Tom, took a few photos of my under hood area. I just cracked 69K miles. Definitely not as much oil near that joint as your truck, but there is a bit of oil in that pipe. However it’s no more than some of my tier 4/Emissions turbodiesels at work.
I appreciate this! Mine defiantly seems a bit worse also have 30k more miles. At this point I’ll wait to see what the dealer says. To me it seems like a there’s been a slow leak for a long time, it may not be the issue Cushing my code but still something. I’ll share what the dealer says once I hear back. If they do nothing with this leak I’ll dig further myself.

rocket1949

Reaction score
I appreciate this! Mine defiantly seems a bit worse also have 30k more miles. At this point I’ll wait to see what the dealer says. To me it seems like a there’s been a slow leak for a long time, it may not be the issue Cushing my code but still something. I’ll share what the dealer says once I hear back. If they do nothing with this leak I’ll dig further myself.

Heh Tom I believe the oil your seeing is a result of the emissions design. The EGR ( Exhaust gas recirculating system) takes a portion of the exhaust and it gets reintroduced into the air intake system. I’ve heard of oil catch cans being used to collect this oil but I’m not sure how effective they are. This is the reason our oil gets so soot in it.
I’m getting our new injection pump next week. Parts finally came in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tom318

Reaction score
So far I’m not too thrilled with the dealer but we will see what happens once they replace the fuel pump. Currently they told me the oil is from a spill from an oil change. I’ve always changed it and though I’ve had some small spills they were cleaned up. The oil I pointed out is on the opposite side of the the oil fill and under the engine cover. The engine cover is perfectly clean underneath and was never removed until this last Thursday. To me it seems impossible to be from a spill form an oil change. Asked about the CEL, they said it needs a fuel pump….again it sounds like they really haven’t done anything yet.

2020RamOwner

Reaction score
I am so tired of dealing with Ram dealerships. I took my truck in for the Z96 recall inspection on 11/22/23. I have called numerous times and have been told "we only get one a week and the waitlist is long". I was on the waitlist at two dealerships. On 4/5/24 one dealership called and left a voicemail in regards to the recall but didn't specify anything. I called back on 4/9/24 and they had no idea what I was talking about and said it was probably just for routine maintenance. I have never had a Ram dealership service my vehicle. I said no it was relating to the recall. I was told that a service advisor would call me back. They never did. I called the other dealership (4/10/24) I was on the list at to get an update and the sh*t show started. The goon that picked up said I would need to bring it in for an inspection so they can order parts. I told them I did that on 11/22/23 and I have been waiting ever since then for the parts. They then told me that they haven't been receiving parts. WHAT? You are receiving them once a week to not at all?! HOW CAN THAT BE. I said can you please confirm with the parts department that I am on a list of some sort for this recall. They called the parts department and THEY CONFIRMED MY PARTS CAME IN ON 4/2/24. WHY DO WE HAVE TO DEAL WITH THE CONSTANT BS. The parts department then told me a service advisor would call me back to schedule an appointment. Guess what.. they never did. I called back on 4/11/24 and had to go through this again. I was told I would need to bring it in for an inspection to order parts. Do these idiots not communicate?! After explaining everything above I finally got a link to schedule an appointment. I am now going in on 5/24/24 to drop it off and praying its just the fuel pump. I am so tired of these dealerships. Who are they even hiring? How are these people qualified? I wish someone from Ram would see this and make it right and take some accountability. If interest rates weren't so high and vehicles didn't cost as much as a starter home, I would buy something else in the blink of an eye. Ram service SUCKS.

Users who are viewing this thread