5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Recall of High Pressure Fuel Pump

Quark

Reaction score
Nothing wrong with Fram filters. Are they the best? Probably not, but they filter oil just fine. Can you find better filters? Yeah, but you don’t need to.
My research indicates otherwise. Poor construction and design philosophies at fram which have lead to engine damages on maby many engines. I value the hive mind more than my own experience because I don’t have to subject my own machines for ”testing”. I will never allow anything with the name fram or K&N on anything I own, full stop. When you can have Wix for the same price why wouldn’t you use a reputable brand?

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
My research indicates otherwise. Poor construction and design philosophies at fram which have lead to engine damages on maby many engines. I value the hive mind more than my own experience because I don’t have to subject my own machines for ”testing”. I will never allow anything with the name fram or K&N on anything I own, full stop. When you can have Wix for the same price why wouldn’t you use a reputable brand?

Add Duracell coppertops. At least the AAA and AA batteries. Fkn leakers ruin everything.

BigRedTD

Reaction score
Totally get it. Oil and filters are a religion (or political affiliation) in the trucking communities. I've seen the pictures of failed Fram oil filters and heard all the horror stories...but my personal experiences have been benign. On one of the other forums, Fram filters are considered a preferable alternative to the Royal Purple oil filters for the Hemi. For the Ecodiesel, I've tried Mopar, STP and whatever the Geno ones are with the same results. Completely agree with you on K&N, though. Wix is good also...prices being equal, I'd steer toward Wix, too.

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Not really, oil changes aren't that expensive. A ton of aftermarket filters now for $20-30 and oil is cheap.

I'll keep replacing my fuel filters every other change. My truck is out of warranty anyways
146,000km and zero issues.

Sent from my SM-S911W using Tapatalk

A $100 oil change at home is "cheap" to you?

And with a $10k fuel system, I wouldn't trust a non-OE filter. Nope, just won't do it.

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score

And with a $10k fuel system, I wouldn't trust a non-OE filter. Nope, just won't do it.
It's not $100 for you Americans. You can get 5 quarts of oil for $20-25 on sale. The list of approved oils is long. You can get aftermarket filters from Fram, Wix, Ecoguard, Napa for cheap.

Your bias towards the Ecodiesel is insane. Even if my oil change is double that of a Hemi, one tank of fuel has made the difference up.

Sent from my SM-S911W using Tapatalk

70runner

Reaction score
My 2021 Rebel went in today for the recall HPFP appointment. Color me a bit nervous as the truck has been perfect for 3yrs. They said should be ready tomorrow and gave me a loaner, 1yr old Wrangler.

2020RamOwner

Reaction score
My 2021 Rebel went in today for the recall HPFP appointment. Color me a bit nervous as the truck has been perfect for 3yrs. They said should be ready tomorrow and gave me a loaner, 1yr old Wrangler.
Nice of them to give you a loaner. All the dealers around me would have laughed me out of the showroom if I asked for a loaner.

tom318

Reaction score

I've been pretty fortunate with my ownership experience so far especially with oil change costs. Early on a few years back Walmart had a deal on Quakerstate ($10 jug) and I bought enough to get me to 90k miles. So my oil changes only cost me $60-70 with the crazy filter cost. Now I run Docs diesel filters and Castrol. I pay a little more but still around $80ish. RAM also replaced my entire fuel system at 100k miles which is a plus! Mine never failed but the tech who worked on my truck thought it would have within another 20-30k miles. Trucks never used a drop of any additives either. I have a 2yr unlimited mileage warranty on that 10k fuel system so for me, this truck has been a big win. @103k miles now and it still feels new. I'm also impressed with the interior quality, still looks new even with 2 young boys jumping in and out everyday.

Unfortunately I would consider a $100 oil change relatively cheap these days. I wish I didn't.

70runner

Reaction score
Update. Ready Wed afternoon. Couldn't pick up until Thurs, battling latest covid version. Service guy said they've only had a couple where entire fuel system needed to be replaced. Asked him specifically about fuel filter maintenance interval. He said do it every other oil change as before. Also said, to his knowledge, none of the replacement HPFPs have failed. Anyone know otherwise?

15mi drive home, noticed nothing different except faint smell of diesel. Got home, put it on my lift, didn't see any leaks, fuel or otherwise. Chalked it up to residue from the HPFP replacement.

Loaner was a 2023 2dr Jeep Rubicon. With all due respect to Rubicon owners, after driving the quiet Rebel for 3yrs, the Rubicon felt like I was driving inside a washing machine.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Could have been worse. I recently got a 4Runner for a (business travel) rental. A 2WD no less. What I pile. I just don't get why people like them. Turning radius sucks, they're floaty, etc., handle like a steamship.

70runner

Reaction score
Could have been worse. I recently got a 4Runner for a (business travel) rental. A 2WD no less. What I pile. I just don't get why people like them. Turning radius sucks, they're floaty, etc., handle like a steamship.
Definitely. The Rubicon drove fine, nimble, with decent acceleration. I'm about a mile from the dealer, noticed the illuminated parking brake light. Conditioned by the Rebel, I'm looking all over the dash. Where is the damn release? Pull over, look around the dash again. Yea, I'm an idiot...there it is between the seats 🥴

Users who are viewing this thread