5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Recall of High Pressure Fuel Pump

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This is stupid, so I have to waste my time twice for them to fix their f up.

I guess I’ll wait till the pump granades the engine and they can figure it out then.
That's not how it works, read the recall. It's a one time visit. Whatever dealers are taking it apart are wasting people's time. They should have the replacement pump in stock to install.

Papi4baby

Reaction score
That's not how it works, read the recall. It's a one time visit. Whatever dealers are taking it apart are wasting people's time. They should have the replacement pump in stock to install.
What the recall says and what dealers are doing is not matching. Quite a few post from members stating that they have them come back after ordering parts that they determine via and inspection.

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
What the recall says and what dealers are doing is not matching. Quite a few post from members stating that they have them come back after ordering parts that they determine via and inspection.
Exactly, shouldn't have to go back. You need the pump either way. Are they saying that if they find metal they send them on their way?

stronbl

Reaction score
I don't really mind if they do the inspection other than an extra trip. Since I've had no issues whatsoever with the HPFP, I would have been surprised if they found anything - which they did not - but if hey had then I would have left the truck with them and not driven any further. Whether FCA requires the inspection or if this is just my dealer's process to handle and prioritize their recall load really doesn't matter to me as long as it gets fixed in a reasonable timeframe.

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This is stupid, so I have to waste my time twice for them to fix their f up.

I guess I’ll wait till the pump granades the engine and they can figure it out then.

I'll call my dealer soon. If they try to schedule a pre-inspection, I'll ask where it calls for that...after getting the service manager on the line. I will, of course, have him email that requirement to me. I'll tell him I want a written record of the need for me to come by the dealership twice for the recall. I'm willing to bet that it won't get to that point.

UncaBuddha

Reaction score
Let me jump in line here and put out a question to @RamCares . I called about the second recall letter and am scheduled for an inspection before the parts are ordered. Is that the proper chain of events? If they don't find anything wrong at the inspection are they NOT going to swap out the HPFP? If that's the case, why not?

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It's not the proper chain at all! Per the recall document "Vehicles delivered to dealer in good running condition should complete HPFP replacement only(non-contaminated system)"

Any dealer saying they need to inspect 1st is ****ing you around. They need to replaced the HPFP either way, they need to have all the parts there for pump replacement not failed/contaminated repair.

n8zcc

Reaction score
It's not the proper chain at all! Per the recall document "Vehicles delivered to dealer in good running condition should complete HPFP replacement only(non-contaminated system)"

Any dealer saying they need to inspect 1st is ****ing you around. They need to replaced the HPFP either way, they need to have all the parts there for pump replacement not failed/contaminated repair.
I think you are right. When I called my dealer, they verified my VIN had the recall, put my name on the replacement pump, and scheduled my appointment. They said they would do the fuel system inspection and if other parts covered by the recall need replacement it will be done at this visit, they have all the parts in stock. At least this is what I was told. This dealer has been good, no issues with them in the past. They did the same process with several recalls my 2015. I'll know for sure on Pearl Harbor Day.

Rebelguy2020

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I was happy to get the recall fix notification in the mail on November 15 but the parts have to be ordered and being in a small northern Ontario city I’ll probably be waiting several weeks or months before getting the parts. I haven’t heard if anybody has had the replacement HPFP recall completed yet.

Does anybody know how many Ram trucks are on the list?

Does anybody know if the Ford and GM 3L diesels will also get the recall? I read that there was a class action lawsuit for the CP4 HPFP which Ford and GM also use.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I was happy to get the recall fix notification in the mail on November 15 but the parts have to be ordered and being in a small northern Ontario city I’ll probably be waiting several weeks or months before getting the parts. I haven’t heard if anybody has had the replacement HPFP recall completed yet.

Does anybody know if the Ford and GM 3L diesels will also get the recall? I read that there was a class action lawsuit for the CP4 HPFP which Ford and GM also use.

Those have been going on for YEARS.

A select few that opted out and sued FOMOCO directly got some relief. Nobody else that I've heard.

To be clear, I've seen nothing that indicates they are replacing the CP4 with anything other than another CP4. Nobody has shared part numbers or images, but I suspect it's just a change from the asymmetrical cam lobe design to the symmetrical cam lobe design they did mid production in the 19-20 HD trucks. Those (+340K trucks) ultimately got a CP3 retrofit. It's possible they've built a new bypass style pump that's similar to an aftermarket offering, but there's been no proof of that either.

Last edited:

Papi4baby

Reaction score

The recall mentioned a bit over 60k but that includes the wranglers and gladiator diesels.

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Those have been going on for YEARS.

A select few that opted out and sued FOMOCO directly got some relief. Nobody else that I've heard.

To be clear, I've seen nothing that indicates they are replacing the CP4 with anything other than another CP4. Nobody has shared part numbers or images, but I suspect it's just a change from the asymmetrical cam lobe design to the symmetrical cam lobe design they did mid production in the 19-20 HD trucks. Those (+340K trucks) ultimately got a CP3 retrofit. It's possible they've building a new bypass style pump that's similar to an aftermarket offering, but there's been no proof of that either.
They are a redesigned CP4. Next one to come in my stall I will get a picture of it.

Chris3058

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hey Cbty….any way to see if these things are being released up north in Canada yet. I had a little disagreement yesterday with a service advisor who said they aren’t getting the pumps until Late January at the earliest - which I don’t believe….some term she used - parts aren’t being released or something like that.

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hey Cbty….any way to see if these things are being released up north in Canada yet. I had a little disagreement yesterday with a service advisor who said they aren’t getting the pumps until Late January at the earliest - which I don’t believe….some term she used - parts aren’t being released or something like that.
I can't help with that. Things are a little slower up there.... There are plenty of them in the USA, they just put a restriction on them and limit how many a dealer can order.

tom318

Reaction score
Has anyone found out what the warranty is if any applies to this new pump? I’m still waiting on mine. They told me they have parts but when I brought the truck in they said they need to order. At that time the advisor had no info on warranty of new pump.

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The dealer I called to book the recall said they are only allowed to order one kit per week. I was the second person to have called and book in for the 12th of December.

Have two other recalls being done at the same time aswell as front sway bar bushings (again…) they lasted a whole 15k km this time. And my rear park assist has been saying “service” since it got cold and snowy and now refuses to identify any object behind my truck.

The dealer I am using for the recalls mentioned nothing about an inspection before the recall is performed, but wasn’t sure if parts would arrive in time even when booking so far in advance. This is in southern Ontario.

askthesun

Reaction score
Received the notice that parts were available about 2 months ago. Called dealership, was asked to call in two weeks because can't deteremine avialability of parts due to recent workers' strike. Called two weeks later, "we dont have the part and don't know when will." Now shopping for dealership. Anyone can recommend of decent dealership in College Station/Houston Area? Thank you

Malodave

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The dealer I called to book the recall said they are only allowed to order one kit per week. I was the second person to have called and book in for the 12th of December.

Have two other recalls being done at the same time aswell as front sway bar bushings (again…) they lasted a whole 15k km this time. And my rear park assist has been saying “service” since it got cold and snowy and now refuses to identify any object behind my truck.

The dealer I am using for the recalls mentioned nothing about an inspection before the recall is performed, but wasn’t sure if parts would arrive in time even when booking so far in advance. This is in southern Ontario.

I had my rear parking sensors go out too. When I finally took it in to do some other recall work they fixed it.
But I did spend 10 hours waiting in the service area because the updates were not talking to the BCM right.

There is a Star case # for it 102062370

Malodave

Users who are viewing this thread