5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Recall of High Pressure Fuel Pump

2021EcoDiesel

Reaction score
Is anyone thinking about waiting a couple years to get their recall done? The independent business I’m associated with can’t do recall work for stellantis (meaning I’d eat labor) and I don’t trust dealers, especially when multiple local dealers send us their trouble vehicles. IIRC, I have 10 years from purchase date to get any recalls done. The only thing giving me pause is if something grenades, I’ll be given a hard time for not getting it repaired quickly.
I’m considering it at this point. My truck is running just fine right now (fingers crossed) and my dealer has no idea when a repair will become available to them.

dadtired

Reaction score
Is anyone thinking about waiting a couple years to get their recall done? The independent business I’m associated with can’t do recall work for stellantis (meaning I’d eat labor) and I don’t trust dealers, especially when multiple local dealers send us their trouble vehicles. IIRC, I have 10 years from purchase date to get any recalls done. The only thing giving me pause is if something grenades, I’ll be given a hard time for not getting it repaired quickly.

I had planned on waiting as well. Truck hasn’t given me a lick of trouble yet. Still trying to convince myself to get the DEF recall done, the dead pedal is happening more frequently of late.

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
When my dealer calls me to say they have the parts waiting for me, I'll go get it done. I think that will be enough of a wait...

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I had planned on waiting as well. Truck hasn’t given me a lick of trouble yet. Still trying to convince myself to get the DEF recall done, the dead pedal is happening more frequently of late.w

We appreciate your patience on this. Should you have any further concerns, please send us a PM.

William
Ram Cares

70runner

Reaction score
I had planned on waiting as well. Truck hasn’t given me a lick of trouble yet. Still trying to convince myself to get the DEF recall done, the dead pedal is happening more frequently of late.
Same here, absolutely no issues with my ecod. In Commiefornia we have to do the DEF recall before registration, so I'm stuck having to take it to a dealer before July. I'll put if off as long as I can.

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The def recall pretty much eliminates it. Worth getting done.

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk

AdamChandler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Had my truck in over the weekend for a window washer fix (hose came loose) and they did one of the recalls (software update to back up camera) but said (so this was 3/4) that the fix for the fuel pump was not available yet.

RamCares

Reaction score
Had my truck in over the weekend for a window washer fix (hose came loose) and they did one of the recalls (software update to back up camera) but said (so this was 3/4) that the fix for the fuel pump was not available yet.
Hello,

Thank you for grabbing our attention on this. High pressure fuel pumps are currently on backorder due to part shortages. We are sorry for the inconvenience. We will keep everyone further posted once we have further updates on this.

William
Ram Cares

Chris3058

Reaction score
Yep...my dealer just confirmed the zero parts for recalls and unknown time....and was told if it grenades a similar type loaner/rental will be provided until repair.

stronbl

Reaction score
Yep...my dealer just confirmed the zero parts for recalls and unknown time....and was told if it grenades a similar type loaner/rental will be provided until repair.
Same with me. I took it in for an oil change and checkup before heading out on a 2,000 mile trip. They said they are not even doing a list since they have no idea when a true replacement is available. I said, "what if it blows up on my trip?" They said "get to any Ram dealer and they'll cover everything including fuel lines etc that got destroyed but will have to put in an existing fuel pump". I said, "so I still have to get the recall done whenever a new version pump is available?", they said "Yep".

Well we're back from our 2,000 mile trip and the eco-diesel ran just fine with the original OEM hpfp!

Mchurch52

Reaction score
I know these HPFPs can fail, but my neighbor is the shop foreman at our local dealership (fairly large) and he said they have not had a single Gen 3 come in with a failed HPFP. They’ve had lots of Cummins with bad HPFPs, but many of those were due to bad fuel, gas in the tank, Def in the tank etc.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I know these HPFPs can fail, but my neighbor is the shop foreman at our local dealership (fairly large) and he said they have not had a single Gen 3 come in with a failed HPFP. They’ve had lots of Cummins with bad HPFPs, but many of those were due to bad fuel, gas in the tank, Def in the tank etc.
Bad fuel is what worries me the most. I think about it every time I fill up.

RamCares

Reaction score
Same with me. I took it in for an oil change and checkup before heading out on a 2,000 mile trip. They said they are not even doing a list since they have no idea when a true replacement is available. I said, "what if it blows up on my trip?" They said "get to any Ram dealer and they'll cover everything including fuel lines etc that got destroyed but will have to put in an existing fuel pump". I said, "so I still have to get the recall done whenever a new version pump is available?", they said "Yep".

Well we're back from our 2,000 mile trip and the eco-diesel ran just fine with the original OEM hpfp!

Thank you for your feedback on this. We appreciate your patience. Should anything occur during the time period, please reach out to our roadside assistance.

William
Ram Cares

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
As others have said, and, repeating myself: until the pumps are replaced, a lubricity additive is your HPFP's best friend. That, and making sure you don't pass air into the HPFP.

But, yes, I'll sleep better once the CP4.2 has been replaced with a CP3.

tguth011

Reaction score
My CP4 pump went out with around 10k miles on the truck. Took 4 months to get it replaced due to parts shortage. Now like others have said add a lubricity additive. I use Hotshots EDT every time I fill the truck up. I do not want to be stranded away from home again.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
As others have said, and, repeating myself: until the pumps are replaced, a lubricity additive is your HPFP's best friend. That, and making sure you don't pass air into the HPFP.

But, yes, I'll sleep better once the CP4.2 has been replaced with a CP3.
I wonder if a cp3 conversion kit will ever happen. Do you know of a company that’s developing one?

2021EcoDiesel

Reaction score
Well, this morning my little amber check engine light came on. Code P026C, fuel injection amount lower than expected. Truck seems to be running fine, but I’m calling the dealer just to have it on record. Gonna set up my big scanner later and monitor the injectors for myself on the ride home. Fingers crossed this isn’t the start of the HPFP/Injection pump going. I’ll keep y’all posted. 43,500 miles on the rig.

Last edited:
  • Angry
Reactions: c3k

d3sarius

Reaction score
Well, this morning my little amber check engine light came on. Code P026C, fuel injection amount lower than expected. Truck seems to be running fine, but I’m calling the dealer just to have it on record. Gonna set up my big scanner later and monitor the injectors for myself on the ride home. Fingers crossed this isn’t the start of the HPFP/Injection pump going. I’ll keep y’all posted. 43,500 miles on the rig.
Same thing happened to me this week. Code P026C on my 2021 Laramie ecodiesel. Truck seems to run fine. 44,000 miles. I’ve used EDT for every tank.

What are you using to monitor injectors?

2021EcoDiesel

Reaction score
Same thing happened to me this week. Code P026C on my 2021 Laramie ecodiesel. Truck seems to run fine. 44,000 miles. I’ve used EDT for every tank.

What are you using to monitor injectors?
Used Alfa OBD and a tablet. All the pressures and corrections were in the green so to speak. Truck is running okay. But the light persists.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online