5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Recall of High Pressure Fuel Pump

2021EcoDiesel

Reaction score
I have a 2018 eco diesel. While driving home the engine shut down and wouldn’t start. Towed to my shop and codes said low fuel rail pressure along with a crankshaft position sensor. Both have recalls on them. Towed the truck to the dealer to have recall work done. They replaced the HPFP said the crank shaft sensor was fine I guess. The tech started the truck and said it blew out white smoke then made a loud noise and shut off. Now it won’t start. They are trying to go threw warranty and saying I have to pay labor. Anyone else have something similar happen or have an idea if I actually should pay anything? I feel the dealership if anything is at fault.
Sounds like they owe you an engine, and you shouldn't give them a dime.

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Around 88k, I replaced the engine earlier this year. So the new engine had less than 5k.
Did a dealer replace the engine under warranty or did you pay for it? Are you still under powertrain warranty?

Jester871

Reaction score
Did a dealer replace the engine under warranty or did you pay for it? Are you still under powertrain warranty?
Had my shop replace it. The new engine came with the 100k 3 year warranty. I just feel that the tech might have messed up the timing on it or something.

Chris3058

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Having had the same thing recently happen - I had the HPFP / injectors etc all replaced as well with the same stuff. Filter was swapped no charge either. They covered it all - and still no ETA for the new pump.

Jester871

Reaction score
Having had the same thing recently happen - I had the HPFP / injectors etc all replaced as well with the same stuff. Filter was swapped no charge either. They covered it all - and still no ETA for the new pump.
Same thing as in the random shutdown? I’m learning that there are no pumps available so I’m trying to figure out how my dealer got one haha. Dealer still hasn’t submitted the warranty and their statement with pictures yet. Been just under a month. Ah I love this stuff.

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Same thing as in the random shutdown? I’m learning that there are no pumps available so I’m trying to figure out how my dealer got one haha. Dealer still hasn’t submitted the warranty and their statement with pictures yet. Been just under a month. Ah I love this stuff.
There are a lot of pumps out there and available, some dealers have more than 1 in stock.

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
There are a lot of pumps out there and available, some dealers have more than 1 in stock.

My bold: you mean the Bosch CP4.2 pumps are available? The "bad" ones that need to be replaced by the earlier version pump?

(I wonder how easy/hard/useful it would be to try to dig through a pull-a-part yard and grab some CP3's?)

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My bold: you mean the Bosch CP4.2 pumps are available? The "bad" ones that need to be replaced by the earlier version pump?

(I wonder how easy/hard/useful it would be to try to dig through a pull-a-part yard and grab some CP3's?)
Yeah the ones that get you back on the road again, those pumps.

Hasn't the 3.0 been using cp4 pumps since 2014?

Last edited:

Ramagain

Reaction score
Logged into Mopar.com today and saw that mine is included now as well.

There is a "Submit Reimbursement" button on the view details screen of the recall if you paid out of pocket to have it fixed.

Additionally, it is a safety recall, which Mopar defines as "Safety recalls include any problem encountered with an FCA US LLC product related to the safe operation of the vehicle or the safety of the occupants. FCA US LLC will correct the problem, at no charge, even if the vehicle is out of warranty and you are not the original owner."

So, looks like people could get reimbursed and warranty status has no bearing on them fixing it for no cost to the owner.
Thanks for posting this, you gave me a starting point! I’m the one if I’m one mile over, or one day over my warranty and that pump fails, followed by a dealer telling me I’m sorry there’s nothing we can do.

Vivrosh

Reaction score
Mine die on freeway yesterday now at dealer they will call what it’s 2021 eco 28k mile this is crazy

• Angry
Reactions: c3k

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Mine die on freeway yesterday now at dealer they will call what it’s 2021 eco 28k mile this is crazy

Hello,

We are sorry to hear about your vehicle concern. Has your dealer determined that your High pressure fuel pump failed? There is a temporary service repair that is available until the recall part is released. Should you wish to discuss this further, please send our team a PM. Thank you

William
Ram Cares

Vivrosh

Reaction score
Hello,

We are sorry to hear about your vehicle concern. Has your dealer determined that your High pressure fuel pump failed? There is a temporary service repair that is available until the recall part is released. Should you wish to discuss this further, please send our team a PM. Thank you

William
Ram Cares

They have not look truck yet maybe tomorrow or Monday hopefully it die late evening yesterday it’s not sure what is it but it’s completely dead

Last edited by a moderator:

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score

I was informed by a tech advisor/field engineer that the latest part number is not a recalled part #. If you truck was repaired with part #68631088AA, it is updated and will not be included in the initial recall.

Expect recalls to roll out in February/March

Reactions: c3k

Chris3058

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hello,

William
Ram Cares
When is the recall part being released?????

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I was informed by a tech advisor/field engineer that the latest part number is not a recalled part #. If you truck was repaired with part #68631088AA, it is updated and will not be included in the initial recall.

Expect recalls to roll out in February/March

Do you have any idea what makes that part number "fixed" compared to the original? (The problem is the roller/cup assembly being able to rotate. A bypass circuit, like S&S offers for OTHER pumps (not ours) just sends the contaminated fuel back to the tank, where normal flow has it going through the filter. I'd rather not have shavings AT ALL...and not rely on the filter to stop them.)

As I asked...any idea what makes the new part better?

Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread