5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Recall of High Pressure Fuel Pump

Crazy Dane

Reaction score
Stopped at my dealer today to see about getting on a waiting list. Was told just to check back monthly because they won't do anything until parts are available.

Will continue to run the Performance dose of Hotshots.

Malodave

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My Thoughts are: All the replacements are being used for the earlier Ecodiesels and
Cummins engines first as they have more time on them and closer to failure.

Malodave

abmillh

Reaction score
Anybody have this recall done and if so, do they flash your ECU? I'm not trying to lose my GDE tune haha.

Reactions: c3k

Malodave

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Anybody have this recall done and if so, do they flash your ECU? I'm not trying to lose my GDE tune haha.
Between the DEF and HPFP Recalls. I believe they both involve a PCM flash. That is why I am waiting
to do both at the same time. I also have a Spare PCM to clone when this happens. I was wanting to
have it done before September as I can stop by on my way to St. Louis then and have it reflashed. I
already had to do it once before when the dealer Flashed the PCM.

Malodave

abmillh

Reaction score
Between the DEF and HPFP Recalls. I believe they both involve a PCM flash. That is why I am waiting
to do both at the same time. I also have a Spare PCM to clone when this happens. I was wanting to
have it done before September as I can stop by on my way to St. Louis then and have it reflashed. I
already had to do it once before when the dealer Flashed the PCM.

Malodave
I checked and I don't have a DEF one. Just the HPFP that says "Recall INCOMPLETE. Remedy not yet available" and the latest TRSCM which requires a flash but that shouldn't be a PCM flash.

Malodave

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I checked and I don't have a DEF one. Just the HPFP that says "Recall INCOMPLETE. Remedy not yet available" and the latest TRSCM which requires a flash but that shouldn't be a PCM flash.
So the Transmission gets a Reflash for DEF? I will have to Flash the TCM back to stock before it goes in to the Dealer.
Their Flash could brick the TCM with the GDE Trans tune on it.

Malodave

abmillh

Reaction score
So the Transmission gets a Reflash for DEF? I will have to Flash the TCM back to stock before it goes in to the Dealer.
Their Flash could brick the TCM with the GDE Trans tune on it.

Malodave
I worded that poorly. I have 2 recalls open right now. I don't have a DEF recall currently on my 2022.

1 is the HPFP but the current status is "...remedy not yet available."

2 is a recent recall for the TRSCM (trailer steering knob). Here are the details on that one:

2021-2023 Ram 1500 recalled over a rearview camera issue (again) - Autoblog

Malodave

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I worded that poorly. I have 2 recalls open right now. I don't have a DEF recall currently on my 2022.

1 is the HPFP but the current status is "...remedy not yet available."

2 is a recent recall for the TRSCM (trailer steering knob). Here are the details on that one:

2021-2023 Ram 1500 recalled over a rearview camera issue (again) - Autoblog
I did that one and the Rear Parking sensors quit working. I spent 10 hours at the dealer
shop that day. That is when they flashed the PCM and probably the BCM because it was not communicating
on the CanBus.

Malodave

abmillh

Reaction score
I did that one and the Rear Parking sensors quit working. I spent 10 hours at the dealer
shop that day. That is when they flashed the PCM and probably the BCM because it was not communicating
on the CanBus.

Malodave
The more I read, the less motivated I am to let them do anything to my truck. I laughed when I got a coupon for a $250 oil change from one of our local dealers. What a bargain! 😂

Malodave

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The more I read, the less motivated I am to let them do anything to my truck. I laughed when I got a coupon for a $250 oil change from one of our local dealers. What a bargain! 😂
I just did mine on Tuesday evening. Cost me about $100 for Oil and Filter. I have access to a lift at Makeitlabs.com , a Makerspace near me.

Malodave

DarthDork

Reaction score
Just sharing my experience:

I have a 2021 EcoDiesel 1500 Limited and my HPFP failed at 38k miles. No symptoms were noticed prior to the failure. The HPFP just blew apart while driving up a hill. I heard a knock and then metal parts falling into the fuel tank behind the rear seat. Engine light came on and I pulled over and the truck died as I let off the gas.

Dealer was able to replace it after 3 week waiting for parts. Replaced fuel injectors and rails all at no cost. They did charge me $300 to replace the fuel filter which I just replaced myself for under $30 a few weeks earlier. I have a case in with Stellantis to cover the fuel filter and my rental car. But that has been stalled for over 30 days. They also completed three recalls.

Total cost of the repair would have been over $12k. And that has me thinking of trading it in for a Hemi.

If you haven't had your HPFP replaced yet, I'd contact customer care and insist that they replace it asap. It is ZERO on the fun scale to have to get it towed and have it in the shop with no idea how long it will be in there. My dealer didn't think the parts would come in for months.

I hope everyone else can avoid this.

Malodave

Ram Guru
Reaction score
$300 to replace a Fuel Filter!

I would bring my own and swap it on their lift.

Plus they just replaced it with another bad pump until the real replacements come in.

I have been using Hot Shots EDT during fill ups since the Truck was new.
I now have over 54K miles on it.

Malodave

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Total cost of the repair would have been over $12k. And that has me thinking of trading it in for a Hemi.

That sounds like somewhat of an overreaction, to me. You'd be trading the unlikely possibility of another catastrophic HPFP failure for the virtual certainty of mutliple exhaust leaks from either a cracked manifold or broken header bolts. Prior to my '21 ED, I had 5.7 Hemis from '09 on. I put 265K miles on them between the two I had. I had that exhaust leak repair done 5 or 6 times on my '09, once on my '19 (at around 45K miles, IIRC), and the '19 just started to sound like it needed it again when I traded it in (at 72K miles) for my ED.

Does anybody know how warranty coverage works if the HPFP blows up like DarthDork's did, and the engine is out of the factory warranty period?

I mean, the HPFP is under a recall, so would this same $12K repair be covered the same way if the engine had 120K miles on it?

Or is Stellantis going to say "the Recall specifically says to not drive the truck until this recall repair is completed. You continued driving it, so the cost of repairs now is on you"?

Malodave

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The recall is in effect until they replace it with the "new Designed" Pump even if out of warranty.

The parts that are coming in are going to the Cummins and earlier Ecodiesels first. We are at
the Back of the line.

Malodave

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The recall is in effect until they replace it with the "new Designed" Pump even if out of warranty.

The parts that are coming in are going to the Cummins and earlier Ecodiesels first. We are at
the Back of the line.

Malodave

I know they will swap the HPFP under the recall, even if the engine is out of warranty. But, that is if the engine is running.

My question is if they would do a $12K repair on a motor that blew from a bad HPFP, if the motor was not under warranty.

I think the Recall is classified as a "safety recall", because HPFP failure can result in "sudden loss of power". Which just leaves me wondering if that means that, technically, we are SUPPOSED to park our trucks until the recall is done. And if so, then does that mean that an engine that is out of warranty could or would be denied coverage for repair of a blown motor even if what blew was the HPFP.

Rebel_driver

Reaction score
How could they expect you to park your truck until the repair is done? I’m not sure if I’m in a different boat than everyone else here, but I use my vehicle everyday to put food on the table for my family. I don’t have the option to just park a 60k truck and drive something else. I think it would be very unreasonable of them to expect that. Just my 2 pennies…

Reactions: TSL

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I know they will swap the HPFP under the recall, even if the engine is out of warranty. But, that is if the engine is running.

My question is if they would do a $12K repair on a motor that blew from a bad HPFP, if the motor was not under warranty.

I think the Recall is classified as a "safety recall", because HPFP failure can result in "sudden loss of power". Which just leaves me wondering if that means that, technically, we are SUPPOSED to park our trucks until the recall is done. And if so, then does that mean that an engine that is out of warranty could or would be denied coverage for repair of a blown motor even if what blew was the HPFP.

There was no such directive for the 340,170 Cummins trucks that got a HPFP recall issued.

I can't think of any actual engine failures either. A shredded pump cam contaminates the fuel system with stripper glitter and plugs the injectors. No injection, no combustion, no rotating parts.

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
$300 to replace a Fuel Filter!

I would bring my own and swap it on their lift.

Plus they just replaced it with another bad pump until the real replacements come in.

I have been using Hot Shots EDT during fill ups since the Truck was new.
I now have over 54K miles on it.

Malodave
Do you take your own food to a restaurant and use their kitchen to make the food?

Last edited:

Jester871

Reaction score
I have a 2018 eco diesel. While driving home the engine shut down and wouldn’t start. Towed to my shop and codes said low fuel rail pressure along with a crankshaft position sensor. Both have recalls on them. Towed the truck to the dealer to have recall work done. They replaced the HPFP said the crank shaft sensor was fine I guess. The tech started the truck and said it blew out white smoke then made a loud noise and shut off. Now it won’t start. They are trying to go threw warranty and saying I have to pay labor. Anyone else have something similar happen or have an idea if I actually should pay anything? I feel the dealership if anything is at fault.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/