5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rear window surround crack.

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Dropped my truck off to get the window replaced tomorrow. Say a prayer for me that they don't screw anything else up in the process. Hell I even removed my freshly katzkin'd seats and trim panel for them.

As soon as I get it back, I'm going to leak test and then sound deaden the back wall and floor.

It's insane. How much noise comes from back there. On the way to the dealership it sounded like my rear window was open.
fa480532d314ef6b7ef146f9d36bb4b7.jpg

Sent from my Galaxy S21 Ultra using Tapatalk

I may do the same (sound deadening). Not because it NEEDS it...but because it's a sickness. ;)

How long did it take to pull out the seats? (I'm guessing about 2 hours?)

Ldc2335

Reaction score
I have had my backseats removed now for over a month. Probably gonna leave them out. made it easier to load my stand for my go kart when I take it to the track. The noise doesn't bother me. But I also have a leak somewhere back there and thought it would be easier to diagnosis it with the back seats out.
No way I'd be able to live with that .

He's the first step to my madness. It's the backside of the panel that covers the back wall. I'll also apply 80mil butyl sound deadening and maybe another layer of foam on the back wall and on the floor up to the console/front seats.

Also did the mod to be able to fold my non- reclining seats down so I can access my amp.
I may do the same (sound deadening). Not because it NEEDS it...but because it's a sickness. ;)

How long did it take to pull out the seats? (I'm guessing about 2 hours?)
Bout 15 mins. Probably less if you have a air ratchet. Just a handful of bolts. 18mm and a torx E12 socket (I've hear you can use like a 3/8" if you don't have the torx, just be careful not to round off the edges.

Agreed. It's a sickness. Already did the doors.

b9db4735195885b629c46b888cfdd4ba.jpg

5769220428b16fab23f43d223c4855ce.jpg

Last edited:

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
No way I'd be able to live with that .

He's the first step to my madness. It's the backside of the panel that covers the back wall. I'll also apply 80mil butyl sound deadening and maybe another layer of foam on the back wall on the floor up to the console/front seats.

Also did the mod to be able to fold my non- reclining seats down so I can access my amp. Bout 15 mins. Probably less if you have a air ratchet. Just a handful of bolts. 18mm and a big *** torx.

Agreed. It's a sickness. Already did the doors.

b9db4735195885b629c46b888cfdd4ba.jpg
I went a little overboard and sound deadened the sub box, completely screwed up it’s tuned frequency and lowered the bass substantially. I only applied the butyl rubber sound deadening to the doors and back of the cab and it made a big difference. I probably should have installed the foam sound deadening overtop but I’m happy with the results.

Hopefully the leak repair goes well for everybody, I had leaks but no visible cracks. The dealer had a leak repair company come in and the sealed them up by dropping the headliner. 60000km in and still not visible cracks, out of bumper to bumper warranty now tho.

Mrwilcox281

Reaction score
And my replaced window is leaking again.

Original window was replaced beginning of summer on a good faith basis with a small deductible since I was outside the warranty. Replacement window started to leak and I took it in around September and the dealer could not replicate the leak. It’s now raining in AZ and I’ll let the videos speak for themselves. There is about 40 mins between the videos. I already sent @RamCares a message.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
And my replaced window is leaking again.

Original window was replaced beginning of summer on a good faith basis with a small deductible since I was outside the warranty. Replacement window started to leak and I took it in around September and the dealer could not replicate the leak. It’s now raining in AZ and I’ll let the videos speak for themselves. There is about 40 mins between the videos. I already sent @RamCares a message.

That sucks man, really hope they fix it for you correctly.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
Thanks man. I’m just so sick of this. Honestly if I could trade the truck in and walk away from this brand, I probably would.

I hear you, that kind of issue would disenchant anyone. I think a lot of it is that RAM service centers are generally not as good as the rest of the industry, that goes for most of FCA/Stellantis dealers. They are usually ranked last in customer satisfaction surveys, turning what should be a simple fix into a long ordeal. Ford dealer service is ranked somewhere in the middle while GM is surprisingly near the top.

However, I would also avoid GM trucks, both the Silverado/Sierra forums has a long thread about similar rear window water leaks, mainly because both GM and RAM use the same vendors on those windows. Ford uses a completely different design and doesn't seem to have the same issues as RAM or GM.

Reaction score
I'm looking at your leak, and I suspect that you may have a leak elsewhere, possible cargo lamp or aerial, are there roof clearance lamps? Just to compare to mine, it did not wet my headliner
nonetheless it still sucks!

Mattiusmaximus1216

Reaction score
2021 rebel. Rare so cal rains past couple of days and well I have the infamous rear window leak. Happening from both passenger and driver side top corners. Not sure if it’s a window frame or 3rd brake light casket? Any ideals

Attachments

• 7D5DF3A8-5640-48A5-B767-8F59F6A7C106.png
    7D5DF3A8-5640-48A5-B767-8F59F6A7C106.png
    624.3 KB · Views: 74

yellowboy

Reaction score
Mine has been in 3 times for repairs on a leak somewhere that showing up on the rear window. See my other thread on this issue I started. Going in for the 4TH (and last) time in 2 weeks. I want to dump this POS, I have a $ 2,500 ARE cap on it I'll take a beating on as well.

Saddlerocker

Reaction score
I'm looking at your leak, and I suspect that you may have a leak elsewhere, possible cargo lamp or aerial, are there roof clearance lamps? Just to compare to mine, it did not wet my headliner
nonetheless it still sucks!
I also thought maybe the fin antenna? Did OP try to tape it off?

I have a cracked rear window frame, but no leaking yet. After reading through this thread I dont know if I want a dealer to try and fix it.

cevans6318

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I also thought maybe the fin antenna? Did OP try to tape it off?

I have a cracked rear window frame, but no leaking yet. After reading through this thread I dont know if I want a dealer to try and fix it.
any reputable auto glass shop can do the job. I would avoid the dealer as they are usually more expensive. You can get the part online and have any shop installed it.

Saddlerocker

Reaction score
any reputable auto glass shop can do the job. I would avoid the dealer as they are usually more expensive. You can get the part online and have any shop installed it.
Im under warranty as I just bought it certified pre owned.
But I dont know, it seems the parts are faulty, so theres a chance I have them change it and it actually leaks next time.
I think silicone across the top of the windshield and maybe the 3rd brakelight would seal it up.
If my headliner was wet I would definitely want to have them fix it.
But im on the fence because its just cracked now, and with my luck it will leak eventually if I have them replace it (or if I dont).
I guess I will talk with the large dealer we use for our Ram fleet at work and see what they say about success rate.

Mrwilcox281

Reaction score
Got my truck back from the dealer today. Now they are saying it’s not the window but the third brake light. It not covered at all since I’m outside the warranty period and they don’t see that it was replaced when the window was replaced. Supposedly the headliner was removed and they don’t see any corrosion around the airbags and since there are no codes related to the airbag, I shouldn’t worry about it. They want $165 to replace the brake light and seal\gasket. I declined. I’m done with this dealer as my service rep is less than enjoyable to work with and the whole dealership is really in decline. I didn’t even get a call back From FCA.

Is it worth it to replace the brake light/seal with a newer mopar option or just caulk it? I don’t need the fancy light with the camera and LEDs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Jako

Reaction score
Got my truck back from the dealer today. Now they are saying it’s not the window but the third brake light. It not covered at all since I’m outside the warranty period and they don’t see that it was replaced when the window was replaced. Supposedly the headliner was removed and they don’t see any corrosion around the airbags and since there are no codes related to the airbag, I shouldn’t worry about it. They want $165 to replace the brake light and seal\gasket. I declined. I’m done with this dealer as my service rep is less than enjoyable to work with and the whole dealership is really in decline. I didn’t even get a call back From FCA.

Is it worth it to replace the brake light/seal with a newer mopar option or just caulk it? I don’t need the fancy light with the camera and LEDs.

I spent less than $40 for the new style brake light with the double seal/gasket. My original was not leaking but I decided to replace the light in advance as I was also adding Diode Dynamic LEDs in the CHMSL. The style of the screws were also changed. Not a big expense to eliminate a possible headache.

Milwaukee Mopar Parts
Part Number​
Part Name​
Price​
Quantity​
Total​
68298380ag​
Center High Mounted Stop Lamp​
$25.59​
1​
$25.59​

Subtotal: $25.59​
Estimated Shipping to 10314 via Standard Shipping: $9.74​
Total: $35.33​

Mopar Discounted Parts
Part Number​
Part Name​
Price​
Quantity​
Total​
6036802AA​
Screw​
$0.67​
8​
$5.36​

Subtotal: $5.36​
Estimated Shipping to 10314 via Standard Shipping: $6.97​
Total: $12.33​

Last edited:

cevans6318

Ram Guru
Reaction score

My 21 has the newest style brake light. When I initially got the truck, the outer seal was folded over and I thought it was leaking. Bought one off ebay that came from a dealer in California. I have yet to install it because when i removed the old one, I fixed the seal. Not taking it to the dealer if it is the third brake light even as I am under warranty. Will only take it if the repair is the window or some other expensive issue. Replace it and leak test the truck and see if it still leaks, if it does, it wasnt the brake light. They are cheap anyway, less then $50 shipped.

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score

I bought some EPDM weather stripping material and replaced junk foam one that it came with. Cost me about $10 and have not had an issue.

Users who are viewing this thread