5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rear window surround crack.

z0n3

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Totally agree...anyone with a 2021 having issues?
My 2021 has had no issues with this as of yet. I also have yet to see anyone with a 2021 report this as an issue so the window change probably fixed it. Or I would hope it did.

ferraiolo1

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Yeah same. Oh well I’ll keep an eye on my floor after heavy rains
463ca018377acca80beec637af0e20ec.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

whetrick1

Reaction score
And another, alot of rain the last few days, and guess what I turn around to check, and I too now suffer the rear window surround crack. Water leaking in. I checked for the crack all the time, and haven't seen it till today. Its a 2020.

It might be your 3rd brake light leaking if you haven't found any cracks.

SadiEJays

Reaction score
Had mine replaced back in the July/august time frame and mine is leaking again. I took it back in yesterday and got the call today that the foam behind the 3rd light was wet. They replaced the third light and the seal and also replaced the antenna and thought that was were the water was coming in. So 1 of 3 things. Its either the damn thing is leaking again, 2-the third brake light or antenna was leaking the whole time and the rear window didn't need replaced in the first place or 3- Both were leaking all along. I love my 19, it is such a nice truck and drives well but this rear interior leak is a real bummer. With the 10-15 percent increase in used car values, it almost makes me want to sell the damn thing and find something else. Only issue is you can't find anything right now.

SadiEJays

Reaction score
It's the manufacturer of the windows. Other trucks are having the same problem.

As much as I agree, its rams finished product that the issue. They either need to rectify the problem of find another supplier. I don't want them to take a faulty leaky window and replace it with a faulty leaky window. Otherwise I might as well leave the original leaky window in and not have the dirty headliner and broken clips from the new install.

cevans6318

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Had mine replaced back in the July/august time frame and mine is leaking again. I took it back in yesterday and got the call today that the foam behind the 3rd light was wet. They replaced the third light and the seal and also replaced the antenna and thought that was were the water was coming in. So 1 of 3 things. Its either the damn thing is leaking again, 2-the third brake light or antenna was leaking the whole time and the rear window didn't need replaced in the first place or 3- Both were leaking all along. I love my 19, it is such a nice truck and drives well but this rear interior leak is a real bummer. With the 10-15 percent increase in used car values, it almost makes me want to sell the damn thing and find something else. Only issue is you can't find anything right now.

sure you can. Plenty of dealers out there that have trucks. Dealer I got mine from was loaded. I agree though, having a brand new truck with leak issues is not something anyone wants to deal with. Ram wasn't my first choice either, wanted the silverado but thought $50k for a basic silverado with a V8 was too much. Im kind of upset when I read about the leak issue after I bought the truck. Then a few weeks after buying my 21 and finding the back wall wet kind of pissed me off.

cevans6318

Ram Guru
Reaction score
As much as I agree, its rams finished product that the issue. They either need to rectify the problem of find another supplier. I don't want them to take a faulty leaky window and replace it with a faulty leaky window. Otherwise I might as well leave the original leaky window in and not have the dirty headliner and broken clips from the new install.
that's exactly it. Ram looks bad, not the manufacture of the window. You would think over the yrs, enough people have complained to FCA about the issue that the higher ups would of looked into the issue. You can't tell me that they didn't question the millions of back windows dealers have replaced over the yrs for the same issue.

SadiEJays

Reaction score
sure you can. Plenty of dealers out there that have trucks. Dealer I got mine from was loaded. I agree though, having a brand new truck with leak issues is not something anyone wants to deal with. Ram wasn't my first choice either, wanted the silverado but thought $50k for a basic silverado with a V8 was too much. Im kind of upset when I read about the leak issue after I bought the truck. Then a few weeks after buying my 21 and finding the back wall wet kind of pissed me off.
In my area we have one of the largest volume dealers of ram trucks in the SE United States and the lot is practically empty. There may be 6-7 Trucks and most of them are either 2500 or tradesman. I bought my truck because it had every option I wanted and none of the fluff that I could care less about. I love everything about the ram1500, I've had one every sense 2014, except this window issue. Hopefully they will get it resolved but I dread the next rain we get. I get nervous every time because I just know I will look back there and I will see drops of water. Mine never reached the level of soaking anything but I saw drops coming through the glass. Any leak of water almost always get bigger and that is what frightens me.

ferraiolo1

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

You know the new silverados suffer from the same issue, right?

ronams61

Reaction score
I'm currently having the same issue with my 2020 limited with 24,850+ miles.
I'm currently working with Ram Care to see if they'll take ownership of this problem.
I encourage anyone with a 5th generation Ram, encourage anyone that you know or just run into to check for cracks and leaks in the rear window and report it even if they're warranty ran out.
I love the truck, it has spoiled the hell out of with the comfort of the ride and perks but the rear window leak problems is a drastic overlook by Chrysler/FCA. They really need to create a recall on this matter with a permanent fix.

Attachments

• 20211026_092329.jpg
    20211026_092329.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 83
  • 20211026_092345.jpg
    20211026_092345.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 82
  • 20211026_092352.jpg
    20211026_092352.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 78
  • 20211026_092442.jpg
    20211026_092442.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 79
  • 20211026_092749.jpg
    20211026_092749.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 81
Reactions: c3k

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I'm currently having the same issue with my 2020 limited with 24,850+ miles.
I'm currently working with Ram Care to see if they'll take ownership of this problem.
I encourage anyone with a 5th generation Ram, encourage anyone that you know or just run into to check for cracks and leaks in the rear window and report it even if they're warranty ran out.
I love the truck, it has spoiled the hell out of with the comfort of the ride and perks but the rear window leak problems is a drastic overlook by Chrysler/FCA. They really need to create a recall on this matter with a permanent fix.
Looks like you could have two problems, cracked frame and a leak either from high mounted brake light or the shark fin antenna, most likely the brake light.

ChucksterC

Reaction score
So, after taking my Ram to the dealer it was purchased from, due to water leaking from the back window, I was told they see this all the time and didn't even have to look to find out what the issue was, The back window frame has 3 cracks. Then I found this forum and read all 103 pages to find resolve. The dealer contacted Chrysler for authorization and after a month of waiting, it was denied. Also was told the extended warranty wont help. 40,000 miles on my 1500. I'm sad and bummed. Not wanting to spend $1200 on a new truck.
Is Ram Cares still able to help out?

Last edited:

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
So, after taking my Ram to the dealer it was purchased from, due to water leaking from the back window, I was told they see this all the time and didn't even have to look to find out what the issue was, The back window frame has 3 cracks. Then I found this forum and read all 103 pages to find resolve. The dealer contacted Chrysler for authorization and after a month of waiting, it was denied. Also was told the extended warranty wont help. 40,000 miles on my 1500. I'm sad and bummed. Not wanting to spend $1200 on a new truck.
is Ram Cares still able to help out?

@RamCares

see above

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Is Ram Cares still able to help out?
Glass is not covered outside the basic warranty. Even though it's the frame it is still considered "glass" since the whole rear window has to be replaced...and "glass" is not covered under any extended warranty (even Mopar's).

Not be be a downer but I have only read of one person having the rear window replaced gratis by a dealership after the basic warranty.

cevans6318

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Glass is not covered outside the basic warranty. Even though it's the frame it is still considered "glass" since the whole rear window has to be replaced...and "glass" is not covered under any extended warranty (even Mopar's).

Not be be a downer but I have only read of one person having the rear window replaced gratis by a dealership after the basic warranty.
that must be a stupid FCA policy. I work for mercedes and Mercedes ext warranty covers the sunroof frames, panoramic roof frames (panoramic frames comes with a new glass).

Ldc2335

Reaction score
Well good news on mine (knocking on wood).

Took mine in for the cracks, they didn't fight it at all. They ordered it, just waiting for it to come in.

Sent from my Galaxy S21 Ultra using Tapatalk

Choate

Reaction score
Mines got a hairline crack. Doesn’t leak. Yet. 2019. 27k miles. I’m gonna put a thin layer of silicone over it. Wouldn’t that solve the problem if out of warranty which I’m not but will be soon at 15k miles a year and my truck is a 19

Users who are viewing this thread