5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rear window surround crack.

ddharris

Reaction score
I refuse to use my rear slider due to the fact the new frame looks just like the old before it cracked and failed. Obvious mold lines in the same spot.

Mopar_maxi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Looks like I’m joining the club. 2019 ram rebel. Noticed a musty smell in the cab a few weeks ago and have been reading these pages trying to figure out what’s going on. Found water behind my driver and passenger rear seats. Headliner is dry but found water dripping/streaming down the rear windows on both sides. I checked the sunroof drains and they look ok. 3rd brake light looks ok too.
Has anyone seen water dripping like this down both sides? I’m thinking it’s a bad rear window seal.

Appointment at the dealership Wednesday
I would bet it’s your 3rd brake light. Mine leaked like yours and I sealed the 3rd brake light screws with clear silicone because a few others stated the screws can leak. After I sealed them, a year later and no leaks that I know of and I check often.

MxRacer965

Reaction score
Wow...just spent a few hours combing through every one of these posts. I skimmed mostly to see progression of things.

Anyway, I have a situation I don’t recall seeing yet. I bought a CPO 2019 with 48K on it. It comes with a 3 month/3K warranty, and I was eligible to buy Max Care as well. I have the lifetime on my ‘11 Grand Cherokee Summit, and bought a 12 month/12K for $500 for the Ram and will buy longer if I feel like I need it. I noticed the other day it has both cracks in the frame but I don’t see signs of leaks. I have an appointment later this month for this and a couple other items. Any ideas on if this is covered under one of the 2 warranties I have??

I also installed LEDs in the 3rd brake light not knowing about the leak potential. Guess I should get some new material to seal that with.

Should I get some of the RTV that flows and call it a day or go for a replacement?

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Wow...just spent a few hours combing through every one of these posts. I skimmed mostly to see progression of things.

Anyway, I have a situation I don’t recall seeing yet. I bought a CPO 2019 with 48K on it. It comes with a 3 month/3K warranty, and I was eligible to buy Max Care as well. I have the lifetime on my ‘11 Grand Cherokee Summit, and bought a 12 month/12K for $500 for the Ram and will buy longer if I feel like I need it. I noticed the other day it has both cracks in the frame but I don’t see signs of leaks. I have an appointment later this month for this and a couple other items. Any ideas on if this is covered under one of the 2 warranties I have??

I also installed LEDs in the 3rd brake light not knowing about the leak potential. Guess I should get some new material to seal that with.

Should I get some of the RTV that flows and call it a day or go for a replacement?

MaxCare won’t cover it. Your CPO’s 3 month/3,000 mile warranty should

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Looks like I’m joining the club. 2019 ram rebel. Noticed a musty smell in the cab a few weeks ago and have been reading these pages trying to figure out what’s going on. Found water behind my driver and passenger rear seats. Headliner is dry but found water dripping/streaming down the rear windows on both sides. I checked the sunroof drains and they look ok. 3rd brake light looks ok too.
Has anyone seen water dripping like this down both sides? I’m thinking it’s a bad rear window seal.

Mine is leaking in the corners too, which was discovered after fixing the third brake light leak. The third brake light will cause the headliner to get wet, the window frame leak will not. Yours looks like a frame leak.

I applied some flowable silicone around the corners and all along the top of the frame for good measure this weekend, will need to wait for some rain to check

Rich51

Reaction score
I was surprised it only took about 2 weeks from my dealer sending off the pictures to Ram and ordering the new rear window to it coming in and being installed. They even tinted the rear glass back to what I had. I am surprised to read that some dealers are still taking longer than that. My truck was also only in the shop for a day, and they got me a rental from Enterprise.

MxRacer965

Reaction score
MaxCare won’t cover it. Your CPO’s 3 month/3,000 mile warranty should
I figured this would be a 50/50 proposition as I see one of the comments earlier included exclusions - one of them being water leakage. While the result is water leakage, the issue is a broken window frame. By carefully wording the problem as "window frame broken" instead of "water leaks at broken window frame" be enough to get it covered by a Max Care plan in the future? In my case if the 3mo/3K covers it I guess I'm fine....for now. I plan to keep this truck for 10 years and if in the next 12 months I get nervous enough about it to feel like I need a longer term Max Care I'll extend the plan but it would be nice to find a way for this to be covered should it occur again.

Has FCA added more exclusions over the years? I did the lifetime Max Care on the 2011 Jeep as I mentioned and so far I haven't had any issues with exclusions, and it just had a $2,800 air suspension overhaul at 92K miles that cost me nothing. Honestly with how reliable that vehicle has been and how few miles I'll be putting on this truck (it's our spare vehicle/toy hauler/park at the airport vehicle) I was hoping I wouldn't need an extended warranty at all. Guess the guy that bought my old 2002 F150 XLT 5.4 Supercab I replaced with my Ram made out OK paying me $4,700 for it...never gave me one issue in 11 years of owning it and having 138K on it...

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Has FCA added more exclusions over the years? I did the lifetime Max Care on the 2011 Jeep as I mentioned and so far I haven't had any issues with exclusions

Yes they have added exclusions over the years. Most noteworthy is when they added catalytic converters to the list around 2015 or so.

MxRacer965

Reaction score

I also just took the 3rd brake light off and inspected to see if I could find any exterior cracks that would let water in. I see nothing. I hit it with a garden hose for a few minutes just now, for a bit on "shower" (with the valve closed a bit trying to try and simulate rain that would seep) and then on "full" to hit it with some pressure...no leaks found using that method.

Since it has the cracks and doesn't appear to leak should I just leave it alone? Hearing that some people have nightmare stories doing a replacement and some have cracked again, why bother going through the hassles if it is just going to do it again and it isn't causing an issue with 2-3 years and 48K miles on it?

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I also just took the 3rd brake light off and inspected to see if I could find any exterior cracks that would let water in. I see nothing. I hit it with a garden hose for a few minutes just now, for a bit on "shower" (with the valve closed a bit trying to try and simulate rain that would seep) and then on "full" to hit it with some pressure...no leaks found using that method.

Since it has the cracks and doesn't appear to leak should I just leave it alone? Hearing that some people have nightmare stories doing a replacement and some have cracked again, why bother going through the hassles if it is just going to do it again and it isn't causing an issue with 2-3 years and 48K miles on it?

Mine is cracked not leaking but I’m having it replaced.

If it starts to leak outside the 3/36k then I have no recourse. If I get it replaced now, then it buys me another 2 years.

Big White RAM

Reaction score

I would apply flowable silicone along the top of the rear window if mine were to crack and leak since its really just a cosmetic issue. Not worth the risk of damage to the vehicle by techs who dont care about a quality job, plus the risk of it cracking again and having to replace it in the future.

dalailama23

Reaction score
I got approved for a new rear window within days of taking it in for that and the GPS/radio/Computer on my 12 inch took a dump. New radio unit and glass came in 10 days now in a rental. Dealer says two days ,Glass this afternoon by independent glass company , radio unit after that, should be back in my truck after two days. I guess after reading a lot of post on this issue some dealers must be better or have more pull at FCA than others. I do hope they do a good job though. I also removed my metal tonneau cover i heard they need access through the bed, don't need them to screw it up.

ccm2001

Reaction score
Mine is leaking in the corners too, which was discovered after fixing the third brake light leak. The third brake light will cause the headliner to get wet, the window frame leak will not. Yours looks like a frame leak.

I applied some flowable silicone around the corners and all along the top of the frame for good measure this weekend, will need to wait for some rain to check
check your roof seams, they clip in at the ends, Check around page 87 i posted a silmlier issue with the roof seams all off align and my corner leak is coming from uptop.

RamCares

Reaction score
I've got the leaking and cracked frame on my 2020 Laramie. The cracks are above the edges of the sliding glass window on each side. I made an appointment for 3/29, sat there for 2 hours and they told me they needed to make another appointment for them to go through it more. Dropped it back off on 4/5, and the service advisor tried to set the expectation that this might not be covered but he thought it would be fine. I got a call back today finally (2 weeks later) asking me to pick it up unrepaired while they "deal with Chrysler on if it will be warranty or not". I asked how can a leaking window not be covered during the bumper to bumper warranty and he said that his service manager is working with Chrysler but these decisions are above him.

The truck as 8500 miles on it....has anyone had an issue with them denying warranty for this? I have messaged Ram Cares here and also opened a case with Ram customer service.

Thanks
Hi jay1919,

Please continue working with us via private message until your matter is resolved!

Hannah
Ram Cares

RamCares

Reaction score

Hello, Toolbox

We're sorry to hear about this experience. Please shoot us a DM with your VIN so we can look into this matter further!

Hannah
Ram Cares

whetrick1

Reaction score
Mine was replaced today and it has a manufacture date of 3/17/21 and is 68426398ac. Who knows but with all the **** i see on here im not optimistic that this issue is fixed and for a 50k truck im left unimpressed. I love the truck other than this one issue but it seems like it could be a major one at that.

Chevrolet and Ford are having the same problem with their sliding back windows.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jbworth86

Reaction score
So I have the exact same problem and I bought the unlimited mile warranty and the dealership says this isn't covered. Dealership quoted me $1,000 to replace the rear window and another $1,000 to replace the moldy headliner. I have a 1 year old son and I can't have him in the truck due to the mold. REDICULOUS! This is the first and last time I will ever buy a Chrysler product. I paid extra for a warranty that I cant even use. Really awesome Chrysler that you know something is defective and then wont cover it. I'll be looking at other trucks again this weekend and plan to get rid of this. When I originally bought the truck I planned on being a lifetime Ram owner and was extremely happy that I can transfer the warranty to my next new Ram. Now, why would I ever think of getting another Ram when they have this problem and wont fix it?

jrmitt808

Reaction score
Update: Got a new 3rd Brake Lamp (68298380AG) and Lamp Seal (68545973AA) and still leaks from the rear window. Due to the window shop employees getting covid they couldn't install the new window so I have wait a couple of weeks. Hopefully this stops the leak. If not, trading the truck in for a Tundra will stop it haha.

Users who are viewing this thread